Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Entropist posted:

They generally have red asphalt, are lower than the sidewalk (clearly not a part of it), and have signs at the beginning and end and at any intersections where they are interrupted. Sometimes a bike icon is painted on them, and the ones near the central station even have solid lines along the edges with bike icons every metre, facing the edges of the path, to make even the most clueless of tourists aware. That's more effort than they put into it in any other Dutch city! I think it's pretty clear, and Dutch people from out of town have no problem in Amsterdam as far as I know. I guess you were just not used to the way they are marked.

I didn't really notice any red asphalt to be honest but maybe it's just faded. And the signs seem to be oriented towards the bikes not pedestrians.

But you are right that they are fairly obvious after you get used to it. Although there were still times we were just standing on the sidewalk looking at a map and got paranoid we were actually in a bike lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It's a mandatory evacuation for "low lying areas" in some Florida counties. Isn't all of Florida low lying?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Any theories on what could have motivated this? It's at a school near me. That grassy bit on the right is just a hill that goes down. Why not just continue the sidewalk???

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/2016/09/01/taconic-exit-numbers/89580634/

New numbers. Well, new numbers replacing the lack of any numbers.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, CT has literally one proper tunnel. Lots of bridges though. And a viaduct in Hartford.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I swear the only reason our local big city still has parking space requirements is so they can drag every project before the zoning board for a variance. They certainly don't actually want anyone to put in parking lots downtown.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting traffic control signs from Denver:

NO DOUBLE TURN

NO RIGHT ON RED
(much smaller)
WHEN PEDESTRIANS ARE PRESENT

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m always sad about the cities built on waterways that bulldozed the port areas after container shipping took over and replaced them with highways.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Where it crosses 295, that’s a toll plaza, so maybe they got rid of some connections to make the tolling simpler.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thought this was an fun video. Guy worked on a highway project in Connecticut for the last few years and his wedding videographer wife cut his footage together into a 20 minute video. Shows how much works goes into a highway project nowadays, especially if their are bridges and waterways involved. The rebar alone is ridiculous.

https://youtu.be/c7k5o6NoXZ0

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pretty suspicious about that private road story having that many updates in such a short time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Guy Axlerod posted:

People around here are really bad at body language. I'll stop for people who clearly want to cross the street, only for them to wave me on and refuse to cross.

This is tough because even though the law will say you have to stop for pedestrians, a lot of cars don’t stop, and a lot of pedestrians would rather cross when there are no cars rather than when you are waiting.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha, this reminds me of my wife’s bad habit of waving people through... when she’s in the passenger seat.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Our local road crew is as good at applying stickers as I am.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We have some low activity freight lines around here that only have one or two trains a day and the grade crossings are uncontrolled. One side effect of this is that they have to blow their horn multiple times at every crossing, which is way more annoying than the actual train noise. Plus they are going very slow.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On a different topic, what would you call this interchange style?

The traffic lights are all on the side of the overpass.

Edit: of course I figured it out immediately after I posted: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-point_urban_interchange

smackfu fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 30, 2022

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

After reading that, thankful we had sat nav for our recent trip to SLC.

That does remind me of a random question… they have express lanes there on I-15 that are either electronically tolled or HOV 2+. How do they tell whether to toll you or not?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I looked it up. I guess if you don’t have a transponder, they assume you are HOV. If you have a transponder and are HOV, you slide something on the transponder to disable it and it shows “HOV”.

Apparently the enforcement is manual, with a trooper driving next to single drivers to see if they have a transponder in the right mode. So just spot checks, but pretty large fines.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

From my watching of YouTube videos, seems like the key to working fast on road projects is:

1) being able to shut down all the roads
2) not having to compact any dirt

The precast concrete tunnel nicely solves the second one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Some towns do 12 minutes for green curbs / short term parking. Doesn’t really help answer the question except maybe it’s 60 / 5 = 12 x 2 = 24

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They redid the traffic lights at a nearby intersection and it’s very annoying.

code:

| Restaurant
======8======= ( state road)
     | |
     | |
The restaurant parking lot used to not have a traffic light facing it, so you just winged it coming out and sometimes people just went straight across. Not super safe.

The traffic light was recently replaced as part of an effort to replace all the traffic lights on the state road with fancier LED ones on strung wires rather than poles.

Part of this work gave the restaurant parking lot a traffic light. But because the driveway isn’t quite aligned with the opposite road, it needs its own phase. And for whatever reason, they didn’t put a sensing loop in the restaurant parking lot, so they always get their phase, even though they barely have any traffic.

The net result is that the fancy new light means everyone going from the side road now needs to wait an extra 20 seconds where the intersection is getting no traffic.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cool, I will try writing to the DOT and see what they say.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, I contacted the state DOT about something similar on a state road and they said:

quote:

Although the road in question may be a state road, requests and suggestions of this nature must first be reviewed by the Town’s Local Traffic Authority (LTA) since they are generally more familiar with local issues.
Which is reasonable but good luck finding their contact info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s a problem whenever you have two usages with very different speeds. Like there can be a decent amount of bike traffic and also very few bikes from the perspective of the walker.