Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title

Arafa posted:

\And here is my $10,000 question. When stopped, why do some drivers leave gigantic spaces between themselves and the next car, even in tight left turn lanes and other very congested spaces? This has to be one of the worst and most avoidable forms of congestion. Yet I can never find any consistent reason why people do it. I've asked a lot of people and no one really seems to know why. Because of that, I think it must be some unconscious force, like an excessive desire for control or safety or something. Any thoughts?

I do it so I can do a quick U-turn in case of some sort of life-threatening emergency. What. I'm paranoid. :colbert:

Plus it saved me from getting hit the other night in the Taco Bell drive-through when some idiot put her car in reverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title
Pic 1
Pic 2

There's a parking lot in my town where the exit has a right-turn only lane to turn onto the four-lane highway, and the other lane turns left onto the highway and goes straight onto a two-lane side street. The problem is, the parking lot has no arrows on the pavement indicating this (which, obviously, is the owner's responsibility, not the city's), and the traffic light controlling the intersection doesn't use a directional arrow in the right-turn only lane. Common sense dictates that the right lane is for right turns only, but to be honest, it can be difficult from that position to see that the left lane is the one the continues straight into that side street, because of the way the road curves.

Last night I had a woman almost hit the right side of my car trying to go straight in the right-turn only lane. (Luckily there was no oncoming traffic and I was able to just move to the left and let her pass--I don't think she ever realized her mistake.) So basically I was where that silver car is, headed in the direction of the Goodyear, and she was to the right of me. Problem is, in addition to there being no idiot signs, both our traffic lights display solid green.

My question is, would there be a problem with giving the right lane a directional arrow? There are no sidewalks, and thus no pedestrian traffic to yield to, but maybe I'm overlooking something. Would it be worth my time to talk to the city?

Please pardon my rambling and lack of proper engineering terminology. At least I didn't write 10 pages about span wire.