Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Cichlidae posted:

It's a good thing trucks aren't allowed [on Rt 15], or it'd be crash city day in and day out.

As I was driving up 15 on my way from the NYC metro area to western MA last week, I had the awesome luck to be in the left-hand lane just preceding a big-rear end tractor trailer entering by the ramp immediately south of the West Rock tunnel.

I'm not sure how the timing worked out exactly (luck again? I can't imagine the cops camp out 15's onramps waiting for trucks to try and sneak on?) but a police cruiser came TEARING up the onramp in pursuit of the truck with his lights on, and either because of him or just because of what was going on, the car traffic came to a halt.

This allowed the truck driver to continue through the tunnel in the middle of the 2 lanes (the only way he could fit) with the cruiser following him, lights on, till he exited at the next offramp.

I'm still not sure whether the truck driver was trying to get away at first, or if the cop ordered him through knowing he wouldn't be able to turn around. Gave me flashbacks to when one of the Manhattan-Jersey tunnels got shut down a year or two ago by a trailer trying to drive through and getting its top peeled off like a can of sardines.

Anyway, yea. The Merritt and its avg-75-mph-in-a-55-mph-zone traffic -- especially at night, with the nonexistent lighting the parkway has -- scares the bejeezus out of me every time.

Sorry for the e\n.

To try and be on topic: have there been, or are there will be any, plans to try and curb the speeding on 15, or is it just one of those facts of life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

patricius posted:

[...] I realized how fortunate I was to come from a place that had a functioning subway system that would get me most places I wanted, most of the time, without ever having to get in a car.

See, I can understand this, having grown up in the countryside and then spending a number of years here in NYC. Not having to drive everywhere, and being practically catered to as a pedestrian, is an enormous blessing.

Unfortunately...I'm living in NYC...so moving almost anywhere else save for maybe Tokyo or London is going to hurt pretty bad transportation-wise. "What do you mean only 4 subway lines?" "What do you mean it's not running at 3am?" So spoiled :sigh:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Was googling to find a specific bridge on the Merritt that I always liked, then found this site that seems to have, well, all of them: http://www.themerrittparkway.com/ :love:

Flash navigation is kind of annoying (have to wait a few seconds after mousing over one of the dots, before clicks will actually activate them) and the photos are a little artsy, but still neat stuff.