Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Great thread. Voted 5 and went hog wild.

Anyway, I'm sorry if this has been mentioned, but up in Canada I've seen intersections that use a flashing green light when you have a protected left turn, and will switch to a solid green once the other direction gets a green or whatever.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought that was fantastic. Green arrows are nice, but once I learned what it meant, I immediately wished we had that here in MA. Do you think that could ever work in America? (Or does it already somewhere in the US?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

Cichlidae posted:

"No amount of signs can make up for bad geometrics." The ramps have been in the same configuration for decades. Back in the 1950s, when I-95 was built, high-type design made traffic engineers cream their collective trousers. Built for speed and maximum throughput, designs like this make some pretty big safety sacrifices. Having roads meet at acute angles leads to problems like this one, where it's ambiguous who's supposed to obey the DNE sign. Since we can't put louvers on signs, the only good answer is to redo the whole interchange, probably with a pair of hook ramps. Thanks a bunch, 1950s engineers!

Do you think louvers would work well in a situation like this? Why aren't they allowed?