Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

All the strobes I've seen flash about once per second, which seems like it's far below the frequency needed to cause seizures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

There's an intersection near my work, which has several 18 wheelers go through it every day, and it has a stop sign on a somewhat steep downhill grade.

I wish I could take a picture of just how ridiculously bumpy the pavement is right before the stop sign. It's bumpy.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

What needs to be "fixed"? Most intersections of highways in america look like that and work just fine!

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

thelightguy posted:

The traffic that's merging always yields to the traffic that is already on the road.
How do you decide which leg is "merging" and which one is "already on the road" in this case? If the left leg were slightly curved, would it be different?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Calast posted:

So here's one I can't believe hasn't been more of a problem: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=adeli...004994&t=h&z=18

57th and Aileen are pretty low traffic, if I ran the circus, I'd probably block the ends that meet the intersection except to emergency traffic.
This is in a neighborhood where the city wouldn't even install traffic lights when kids were getting run over in crosswalks on market street on a pretty regular basis.

The lights finally got installed and there are big signs saying "This traffic light brought to you by the black panthers"

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Calast posted:

What gets is that most people that don't know the elusive LTOR is legal, at the intersection of two one way streets.
...and that they can do it from any of the multiple left turn lanes, unless there is a sign that says otherwise.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Pagan posted:

Another thing that people do, without realizing it's illegal (at least, it's illegal in Texas) is turn left from a minor road, onto a major road, and stop in the center lane, THEN try and merge with the traffic. In TX, that's illegal; when you turn, you have to merge into traffic right away, you can't stop or use the center turning lane as an acceleration lane.
Using the center turn lane as an accel/decel lane is illegal everywhere as far as I know. Stopping in it, however, is not only legal but recommended in some states.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

The 3F rule posted:

streets that terminate in a dead end, only to resume with the same name a couple of blocks away across undeveloped land
This is incredibly common in many planned cities, actually, and there are pretty good reasons for it most of the time. Look at a map of the san fernando valley in LA, for example.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Longer yellow phases would be nice, not that any cities would actually follow them...

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Acela is the fastest train in the US, but calling it "high speed" is laughable when you look at european trains.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Zero One posted:

Finally, the most massive interchange you have ever seen.
Not This one or this one?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

238 should just have been signed

CA 238 SOUTH TO EAST 580

in one direction and

CA 238 NORTH TO NORTH 880

in the other direction

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

My favorite signage

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Mandalay posted:

the only CA route surface street to bisect the city. :argh:
:crossarms: you forget san pablo ave (aka route 123)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

Cost more to blow up that bridge than it did to build it.
In real or nominal terms?

Edit: I just looked it up and in real terms it cost twice as much to build as to demolish.

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 4, 2010

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Yeah $3 million in 1940 dollars is over $40 million in 2006 dollars

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

expressway
Freeway. :mad:

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Southampton, NY has an even worse one

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....00142&t=h&z=20

It's not quite as narrow, but it doesn't help that there are blind corners before AND after the bridge. Head-on collision waiting to happen.

Funny story: People got into the habit of honking their horns before they hit the blind corner. A guy who owns a house right there puts up a sign saying "DONT HONK", because, you know, his peace and quiet is more important than people not getting killed or maimed.

After a few times of the city taking it down and him putting it back up, they threatened him with some huge fines, so he finally gave up.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

The official alignment of RI 114 in Pawtucket, RI results in a short stretch of Broadway (a one-way street) carrying both northbound and southbound 114.

A highway in a wrong-way multiplex with itself!

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Lady Galaga posted:

What are the point of Crescents in the form of roads?
What is a "crescent in the form of roads"?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Not nearly as useless as New York's tiny green signs with a billion white numbers on them.

Click here for the full 972x1191 image.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

I've never heard the term "pony," but I assume you mean speed bump.
I'm not sure if this is intentional or not but hahahahahahahaha

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I'm pretty sure only one side of a stepladder is meant to be stepped upon

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

MrBling posted:

I made a little picture to demonstrate what it is, if some of you aren't sure exactly what I'm talking about. It is basically a 3 lane road where the middle lane alternates between the two sides.
We have similar roads but usually they have stretches with only two lanes, with the third lane popping up occasionally.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

They should just mount it sideways

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

my only guess would be that the one on the left is too close to another intersection (that little side road there)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

What are the pros and cons of carpool lanes with an uncrossable barrier vs carpool lanes you can move into and out of freely?

Could carpool lanes with barrier be improved by adding periodic passing lanes?

How would you fix LA's freeways? Specifically the 405? As it is right now it tends to be bumper to bumper sub-10 mph during rush hour. Could traffic flow be improved by removing exits? The 405 was designed as a bypass around downtown LA, but population centers sprang up along it so it quickly became more congested than the 101 and the 5 that it bypasses.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

A barrier allows them to be used for counter-flow operations, since it removes the risk of a head-on accident. Other than that, though, it's just a big pain since it complicates law enforcement, makes it harder to pull over if someone breaks down, slows down traffic on both sides, and takes away options for construction staging.
I don't mean an actual barrier, I mean pavement striping that is illegal to cross (NY uses a little slashed out strip, california uses a double white or sometimes double yellow line)

Cichlidae posted:

Bypass routes like 405 should be primarily for high speed, point-to-point travel, and interchanges should be sparse. One every two miles is plenty. Encouraging development around a route like that, just like letting people stick driveways every 50 feet on an arterial, just slows traffic, increases accidents, and reduces capacity.
I think the existence of the highway is enough to encourage development

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Ah I was looking for this picture but I finally found a copy of it on my disk.

Does anything mention what you're supposed to do in situations like this? If you look at the geography of long island it's rather obvious and inevitable that going west on any road will end you up in the city of New York

It seems like it would be more useful to put the destination of 495 as "Midtown Manhattan" and the destination of the NSP as "Brooklyn" (even though it doesn't quite reach brooklyn if I remember my NYC geography)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Phanatic posted:

The thing that bugs the hell out of me is our incredible reliance on stop signs. There are so damned many intersections where one flow of traffic should just have right-of-way and intersecting traffic should get a yield sign, it's ridiculous.
The problem with that is the giant american cars parked in a huge line right up to the corner, preventing you from seeing whether a car is coming.

Edit: the city of berkeley has a couple of traffic circles that would be roundabouts except there are ALSO stop signs! Not all of them are four-way stops eitherr

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 11, 2010

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

smackfu posted:

What's the deal with the "pointless" traffic lights you see sometimes? Just a screw-up that no one noticed until the project was done?

This one is on an off-ramp from Rt. 8. The only road that would see this light is a one-way going the other way. And it's right next to a DO NOT ENTER sign.
Pedestrian crossing

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

Doesn't heavier traffic by nature regulate it's own speed? The more congested it gets the slower people are forced to go anyway.
I've been on too many freeways where everyone is 2 carlengths apart going 70 mph or more, so I'll say... no

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Cars yield to pedestrians? Just like pedestrian crossings at normal non-signaled intersections.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Someone played too much animal crossing

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I live near this intersection and it's usually pretty fine except between classes when the pedestrian traffic across this single intersection backs cars up down hearst avenue all the way to oxford.

(the green building to the north is the computer science building and the math & physics buildings are to the south)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

People watch for bikers in any city where there are enough of them. I know you can't drive in berkeley or san francisco without watching for bikers.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Er, doesn't a SPUI have to have three phases? Two pairs of left turns and then straight...

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

With a SPUI the surface-to-freeway left turns are at such an angle that I don't see how it would be at all possible to make the left without a dedicated phase

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

HOV lanes should have periodic passing lanes (or there should just be two HOV lanes in general)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

So I notice in california signal heads are almost always hanging from poles, rather than cables. Is this an earthquake safety thing?