Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Still catching up on this thread, but I thought I'd jump ahead and post my favorite local clusterfucks for a professional opinion.

This is the smallest; I kinda wish they'd just eminent domain the adjacent parking lots and make the street ends line up. Not likely, since they're currently spending money fixing the crosswalks, none of which have ramps off the sidewalk at present.

These streets significantly predate the interstate, obviously. Dunno why they don't just use all that empty space to make it less horrible. The spot where the two offramps converge and become 6th street has the worst asphalt ruts I have ever seen, also.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

New question based on what annoyed me today:

Right off I-5 here is this thing.

The problem is that somebody decided all of 199 needs to stop every time somebody leaves the fred meyer parking lot. During the evening rush this will back up traffic clear to the previous intersection, and because people are loving retards, they just stack up across it and block a road that actually matters.

In another city nearby, there's this solution to a similar intersection:

The right lane has a permanent green and is physically separated from the lanes exiting traffic can turn into. The barrier is mountable and the things sticking up just bend and bounce back if you do go over it so it's not an impediment to emergency vehicles at all, but you don't have to be stuck waiting on the piddly amount of traffic that turns left onto that road.

Why wouldn't they do this EVERYWHERE there's a lovely T intersection like that?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Kaal posted:

I think that the unprotected school crossing is my favorite part of that debacle. "Hey kids just go walk across seven lanes of traffic, don't worry I'm sure all the cars will be able to see the school signs and stop for you!"

Hey, pretty soon the ones that're left will know to look before crossing.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Thanks to this thread, I now know enough to know why the exit I used to take to get home sucks! It always bothered me but I couldn't express it in words.

Cichlidae will probably see the turd without any help, but:

People getting off the freeway get dumped in the right lane, when the majority of them are gonna want to go left into town
People going north on the arterial road are dumped in the left lane, but mostly wanting to turn right to keep going north on the arterial to the west, which is its own clusterfuck at that spot

The result is a ton of weaving (the word I needed!) on the section after the exit ramp links up with the last lane of the northbound arterial.

The simplest (but not necessarily cheapest) solution seems like it'd be to bridge one over the other and let the few odd ducks who aren't following the usual route merge as needed.

It also seems like you could send the northbound traffic onto that frontage road instead.

I don't know if adding a lane to an existing overpass is cheaper than building a new one, but if so maybe piggyback on the freeway for a hundred yards and keep the lanes separate:

The volumes are low enough that it's not a big trouble spot, but the better to fix it now before somebody gets killed there in 20 years when the population is four times as big. Given that the land in the vicinity is already freeway right-of-way, how would you unfuck that exit?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm starting to want to be the pain in the rear end that holds a project up for months. Two separate counties are closing their sections of two parallel routes to the same place (ie one county closing a chunk of route A, the other a chunk of route B) and for the month or so they overlap it's going to massively gently caress everything up for anyone who has to travel that way. There is a third route that takes way longer, but they could just hold back the later project for a while until the other one is finished. Fuckers.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Is there a name for this?

Around here it's known as the clusterfuck.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I expect this version of Oregon's mileage tax to die just like the last one.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

These things are popular in suburbs here:

(little flag optional)

It's obviously meant to warn people for small children playing on the road. I think it's intended to be put right behind a tree or parked car. So as you drive up to it, suddenly it comes into view and for just half a second you think there's a small child suddenly running across the road right in front of you.

The illusion doesn't last long, but it's just long enough to make you jump.

The school here likes to put them near a crosswalk, blocking the entire bike lane on both sides. I kick the loving things over every time I go by there when they're up.

The trend of blaming drivers for hitting things that shouldn't be in the roadway to begin with is ridiculous.

E: maybe they got the hint, it used to be right in the middle

Javid fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 6, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The issue I'd have is that, just like the walk cycle being timed for the slowest possible walker, for that to be useful you have to space it back for the slowest possible combination of reflexes + braking ability.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

How does Mexico have a negative tax? Do they just subsidize fuel?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'd love more completely separate bike paths. Here you can get ticketed for using the sidewalk, or you can take your chances on the main road. The bike lane, if there is one, is the 18" between the curb and the outer lane, where all the gravel and crap gets blown by cars driving by.

We have one nominal "bike route" which is a nice 4 mile path separate from anything else, and then 17 miles of "good luck on the six inch shoulder of this windy rural backroad!"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

From the description I assumed we were talking a hotel in Russia until I saw "I-90". Holy poo poo.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I think it was in Kansas or Oklahoma I went to a mcdonald's that was on top of a freeway. That's kinda neat, but a hotel is a whole other kind of bad idea.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Flashing yellow arrows for permissive lefts are a thing here in southern Oregon as well.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If they're run with the intention of stopping accidents rather than generating revenue, that might help.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Are they going off on people legitimately blowing the light, or just being an inch over the line?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/01/19/southbound-i-75-closed-after-major-bridge-collapse/22031819/

Welp.

Is this one of those "told you so" overpasses that needed replacing anyway?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

How much additional pollution is put into the air every time a highway of that size grinds to a halt so one person can walk across it?

Not that pedestrians shouldn't be able to cross, but absent an intersection with another road, just build a pedestrian bridge instead of a pair of signal arms or something. Or are the costs not as similar as they might seem?

Javid fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 2, 2015

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Defaulting to "do nothing" doesn't seem to be great either.

I feel like we should've just stopped breeding when somebody had to invent the traffic light.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The other reason why cyclists shouldn't use sidewalks (besides not being an rear end in a top hat endangering pedestrians)

This logic irritates me. Instead of a 220 lb combined me + bike "endangering" pedestrians, I have to ride in the roadway and be actually endangered by two ton cars (or their doors) who give less of a gently caress about me than they do a road cone. The overwhelming attitude from non-cyclists is "you must be crazy to ride in the road!". I'd love it if it were a choice, cause I agree, dudes. Give me a viable bike lane that isn't 18 inches between the curb and a traffic lane and I'll change my tune, though.

E: gently caress, last page

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Sounds like a giant clusterfuck from which it's miraculous anything gets done at all.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The telecommuter who lives 100 miles from work and goes in every other week is still less load on the roadways than the dude 25 miles away who drives every day. Or is that not how the math is done officially?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

People are trained not to leave headways because if you have >1.5~ car lengths in front of you someone will merge into it and you're back at square one.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It's been mentioned that people will walk the shortest path no matter what and there's an awesome example of this at a park here:

This should've come as a surprise to no one - the bridge is perfectly straight and inclined downhill towards this side and perfectly aligned with the main path in the park so that little detour + rocks is some kind of intentional middle finger to anyone on wheels.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I don't THINK that's it since the winding path is plenty steep itself. I will measure the slope sometime because I get that curious about these things.

It's still entirely possible to blast straight through on a bike, but there are bumps and mud that could be alleviated with a narrow cement path.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Bombing down steep hills when you're on a bike is a feature, not a bug.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Having room for exactly two bikes on a bus that holds forty people always struck me as a little idiotic. gently caress the third cyclist I guess?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The city here is like that. The highway was first, in wagon trail form, and the city grew around it somewhat. Now there's no going back without punching a new highway through the mountains on either side.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Is that hilariously cheap, or hilariously expensive?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Of course.

How much is a typical mile of bike path vs. mile of highway? All else being equal.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My city just put in 100 yards of green bike lane leading up to each of a handful of nasty intersections. Nobody who isn't covered in spandex and out to prove something uses these intersections on a bike anyway.

(For example)

The illusion of doing something is more important than actually doing something, I guess.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Just reading through the public comments on a local, very minor, trail project, and it's a fun/terrifying glimpse into what you must deal with. More than one person has written in asking if this will affect them or border their property; in all cases it turns out their land is tens of miles away and they are incapable of reading a map.

It's an offroad bike/hike trail; at some point the equestrians got wind of it and sent in a barrage of letters wanting them to open it up to horses as well. As of today there's still a no horses sign, so I guess they never got their wish.

The angriest letters have been handwritten, of course.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

They also have to publish every comment on it, down to a DOT guy going "cool thx" when they sent them a copy of the environmental impact findings.

I'm really surprised more people aren't up in arms about this trail. Though the church next door to the trailhead just put in a big electronic gate, presumably due to the real or imagined fear of people using their parking lot.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It looks like somebody's tagged the post too, so obviously their concerns were warranted.

We've got this thing here which is pretty much fuckwheelchairusers.jpg

How would they even fix that? Widen the sidewalk there?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I hope that's the case here so they can extend this bike path:

I'm sure they were thrilled about the sudden bike traffic across their driveway when that went in.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

This sounds more like laws catching up to reality than an actual change.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The only difference between that set of laws and what happens here anyway is that the laws actually have them building bike lanes. Here we get a "share the road" sign and fog lines painted halfway into the gravel shoulder.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

How dare you suggest that the actual facts of the incident be examined to determine fault, rather than just blaming the larger vehicle and calling it a day. HOW DARE YOU.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

People doing the dumbest possible thing and diving in front of a moving car like a confused deer should not be something the driver is then punished for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

poo poo like that is why we ride on sidewalks.