Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
And we're back to "symptom of other problems"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

As with most angry about traffic youtube videos, everyone in it is wrong.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Have a cop just walk along the line of cars stopped in the loving road handing out tickets. Deal with the shithead parents congesting it, and the people detouring through there temporarily stops being such a huge hazard.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Kaal posted:

To be honest that seems like standard insane car culture to me. What's the point of a license plate if you can just pretend that you aren't affiliated at any point? It's like letting masked bank robbers go because you can't identify who specifically took the cash. What about parking meters or toll violations? It seems like they'd have the exact same reliance on license plates. Holding the owner of the car responsible for misuse of the vehicle seems perfectly acceptable unless they are alleging that it was stolen.

No, in a sane legal system, the state has to prove that you actually broke the law before punishing you for having broken the law. The law forbids running red lights, not being the owner of a car that runs red lights.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

And yet our system manages to function even without punishing people for things they did not do and were not present for. Funny.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Lobsterpillar posted:

Is a system where people are still being killed by behavior which there is functionally no legal consequence for really "working"?

There are legal consequences, though. However, to enact them, the state must first prove that the person it is accusing of violating the law actually did so. The process to do this is referred to as "a trial", where the person gets to say "that wasn't me", and then the state gets to show that photo, which is then known as "evidence". If the accused person is clearly recognizable in the image, the legal consequences you so strongly crave will immediately ensue. If the person is not clearly recognizable in the image, then the state has failed to prove their accusation. This is known as "being not guilty", in which case the person is indeed not punished, because they didn't do the thing you get punished for.

Like, "that wasn't me" doesn't work if the photo is kinda blurry and the sun visor is down but it's still clearly a person of the gender/ethnicity/weight of the accused. Or if they can't straight up answer who DID have access to their vehicle.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

Wouldn't have thought this would be a controversial post, but I guess posting in the traffic engineer thread is like posting in a train thread.

It's great that people hate cars so much they want the accused to be afforded less legal protections in, of all countries, the united loving states - noted world leader in fair and impartial justice.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

nrook posted:

In conclusion, cars and roads are cool but the culture of impunity around driving is bad.

The right to a trial when accused of illegal behavior is not "culture of impunity around driving", it's the entire point of having a justice apparatus at all

Like, 'the state has to prove its claims' is the lowest possible bar to clear

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

school zones should be built as 20 mph roads instead of just signed as such.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

wolrah posted:

That sounds like exactly how it should work.

Yeah, that's brilliant.

guess what the posted limit is on the following, which I encountered in the wild recently:

35, because gently caress you

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Somebody sitting at a desk decided it's fine for other people to walk three times as far to get across the street, probably? We have a few of those here and they are completely ignored.

e: here's a local one I DO know the reason for:

It's that way because 6th and 7th are one way, and there's a godawful interchange just south, so A LOT of people who need to go south on 6th have to go north on 7th then hang two lefts, like so:

Even without the crosswalk, M will back up from 6th, some moron will inevitably block the box on 7th and M, and then the left lane of 7th backs up down to the bottom of the pic.

It's also pointless since people just walk across with impunity, so they may as well just paint one at this point. I wish they'd sit a cop at 7th and M to just slap tickets on windshields when motherfuckers enter an intersection they can't leave, which is the actual problem here. Or ED a strip of the car lot to make a dedicated left lane, maybe.

Javid fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 8, 2020

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

So it's roughly equivalent to sharrows as a dual-use improvement, in that it lets them publicly Do Something while still giving a gigantic middle finger to bikes trying to use it in reality

e: new page, pet tax

Javid fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 7, 2021

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

There are almost certainly local train turbonerds who know and will be happy to give you way more information than you were looking for about it if you can find them to ask

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I was just photographing my favorite desire path today and thought it'd be worth a giggle for this thread. We have a really cool ped/bike bridge over a creek between two parks here:

And down at the far end, we have the path the city wants to make happen vs. the path that literally everyone takes in reality

The alignment is more visible zoomed way in; the little S-curve is an obviously deliberate deviation from what would otherwise be a gentle curve between the bridge and the main footpath in the park

Obviously, nobody cares. Always wondered why they didn't move some of the boulders to block it, but I guess that's just lawsuit bait when somebody's brakes stop working or something - that spot is the bottom so you always come at it from uphill.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm sure there are Extremely Serious Reasons why it's like that, it's just funny watching them meet reality when everyone ignores it.

Hadn't even considered wheelchairs, however - the whole bridge is inclined so I can't imagine going either direction in a nonmotorized chair is pleasant. I'm guessing the city decided ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ because you can nominally access the other side via wheelchair-compatible sidewalks (nevermind that it turns the 300 yard trip into more like a mile going down to the only other bridge over that creek)

Do the ped path requirements prohibit ALSO making the path people actually use less of a turd? I'm tempted to badger the city about it while they're tearing up the park anyway for unrelated renovations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

wood prices are currently turbofucked, for one.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Bad pedestrian "infrastructure":

There's a tiny slope here, and we really need to preserve the maximum angle AND right of way of this one driveway into a rectangle of dirt that has been empty for all living memory, so let's make the sidewalk so inconvenient and horrible that everyone just walks next to it in the 1.5 lanes of road instead

It really feels like it exists to comply with a law and/or code and nobody actually looked at it with their human eyeballs and realized what a turd it is

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Lobsterpillar posted:

Sounds like speed is also a problem - does the US used raised platforms at intersections to slow approach speeds?

There are a handful of intersections like that here (as a result of hamfisting side streets onto very convex existing highways that should loving not have side streets turning onto them); They are the most horrid intersections to deal with in the entire city, and can snarl everything for a quarter mile when poo poo gets real on a holiday weekend, as everyone has to do 10 in a 35 to handle an otherwise simple green light

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Transit in the US exists only coincidentally, when it can generate grift for the city implementing it. A month pass for just the city of Portland is like $100 at this point; it's like they intentionally want to be a worse price than insuring and fueling any decently efficient car.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

What car can you fuel, maintain, insure, and cover depreciation/loan payments on for less than $100 a month? (Or even $200 or $300 a month?)

Older ones that are paid off. (Aka the cars your target market for transit can generally afford)

Each of my two vehicles is in the $2x/mo range to insure, and my fuel costs don't add up to $80 a month. Occasional repairs spike above that, but with staggeringly less frequency than the bus company deciding to suspend a line for six months, or remove a stop with no warning, because gently caress you. Why would i deal with that?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Khizan posted:

Another thing to consider is that it's only "transit" versus "full cost of car ownership" if you're in a position to completely replace a car with transit use. There's lots of Americans out there who can't really get away with going completely carless, and if you're one of them then the cost of transit is only competing against the cost of the extra mileage from your commute.

It's not even necessarily straight cost/benefit. For example, I have a medium sized dog, who is totally chill, but completely impractical to cart around in a carrier of any kind. I can't take him on the bus without a carrier here. We kinda have to go to the vet every so often, and emergencies happen, so I can't bank on borrowing a car or getting a ride to cover vet visits. Before considering any other factor, I already know I can't rely on the bus for one of the most important trips I repeatedly make. It costing more than the car on average just moves it from a decision to a literal joke.

Or just trying to buy more than a couple bags of groceries. I can spend 4 hours taking two buses there, shopping, waiting, and taking two buses back with all my cold food thawing out, or I can spend 90 minutes once a month to fill my back seat and be done with it.

Or - my favorite - there's randomly 1 more person with a bike on your bus to work than usual, and now you can't get on with yours, get hosed.

If you expect people to use transit for everything you need to account for everything that people routinely travel to do, regardless of how convenient it is to have on a bus.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

or they reused a sign that used to say "hour"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm pretty sure my 90s van could clear that thing if I angled it right, but why would anyone do that instead of just driving in between them in the middle?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The air horn idea is growing on me. Morons blocking the entire path is the biggest issue with our otherwise nice greenway

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The only equipment requirements here have to do with lights and reflectors at night.

Keeping right on the greenway IS required, but just ignored

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Oh wow you're describing exactly the worthless bike infra near me. We have a really nice, wide, smooth paved multi-use path... that starts at a freeway exit ramp:

meanders through several miles of beautiful riverbank and forested areas, through a pretty alright park and rest area, past a winery, and then at the other end you just get dumped out on a highway shoulder in a random location between cities:

If you're willing to ride along another couple miles of that unprotected shoulder you can actually reach the next town, which has a ~bike lane~!!!

:argh:

There is nothing there worth riding a bicycle to reach, except a DIFFERENT dollar general and chevron station. They pissed off several hundred riverfront property owners punching the right of way for this turd through, and it doesn't even goddamn go anywhere and then they wonder why everybody hates the project

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My objection to bike speed limits is that bikes don't generally come with speedometers. Requiring additional equipment (and cost) just to access the bike trail will ALSO drive away casual users without filtering out the guys with $4000 e-bikes.

Even assuming that problem were solved, if you're talking about connecting bike paths between cities, exactly nobody wants to be stuck farting along at 10 kph over that amount of distance. Commuting by bike already sucks for a bunch of other reasons, making it shittier over theoretical problems just creates new reasons for people to stay driving and, again, insures only the guys that just want to gently caress around on their $4,000 e-bikes are using the trails.

Now, if you only require a speedometer and enforce a reasonable limit on the people with motorized bikes... The guys that can set a cruise control are far less burdened by having to manage their speed then the people pedaling normal bicycles. Forcing them to limit themselves to the 85th percentile is entirely reasonable. Leave the rest of us alone.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Based on my limited experience on the local (terrible) bike trails, people hooning fast on e-bikes are far, far less of a problem than morons treating the path like a park and obstructing it instead of traveling along it as intended

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I reject the notion that "fast" is an abnormal method of operating a bicycle. Transit infrastructure should be designed so a range of speeds can coexist. Separating peds into their own protected path would make sense, but a 10 lane bike path with 5-10-15-20-25 kph each way would absolutely fucktuple what it costs to build + be the worst possible solution to "sometimes slow people have to move over even if they think they're going fast enough"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

You raise a very good point! having enumerated speed limits on bike paths can attract unsavory elements, like police officers, and horses. a spectacular reason to avoid enshittifying bike paths with laws requiring active enforcement.

I wish ours had horses. They'll just drive a gigantic blacked out SUV down the loving greenway when they want to toss a homeless camp.