Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I went clockwise after making the barrel more festive. First, I thought about other drivers. Then I thought about recognizable shapes I can draw in MS Paint. Then I got ambitious. Then I ran out of ideas and it's time to go home anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Is the condition of this bridge as alarming as I think it is?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=...,349.75,,0,1.14

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

edit: misread that as "subjective time travel." That would be awesome.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

That's exactly their purpose. The FHWA says they have a cost/benefit ratio between 30:1 and 60:1, which seems about right, since they only cost about 20 cents/foot to install. We first installed them, as a test, on a half-mile stretch of Route 2. A couple months later, my boss got a call from an old lady thanking him for installing them; she'd fallen asleep, and if she hadn't hit the rumble strips, she would have gone off the road and crashed. After that, we've been installing them statewide.
They've snapped me back to attention a few times while driving tired. I probably wouldn't have crashed without them, but the adrenaline rush from being startled definitely kept me awake until I was home. Being able to scare the poo poo out of sleeping or inattentive passengers on long trips by veering over for a second is a bonus.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I've seen someone cross the HOV divider on either 84 or 91 on the way up to UCONN Storrs, I forget exactly where. It seemed to dip down in the middle and their car bounced like they had gone over a curb. It didn't look pleasant.

Cichlidae posted:

And with that, it's time for the final installment of Work Zone Safety!

Welcome to one of the most screwed-up street networks I've ever seen. Dead ends all over, six-way intersections, no turning lanes (or lanes at all, for that matter), and no through routes to speak of. All the same, the route from school to home is pretty simple: Downtown Stamford

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Lobstaman posted:

now that that is taken care of, can we get down to some serious business like the Connecticut Monorail Project
"Gov. M. Jodi Rell has endorsed the Connecticut River Monorail concept because, she says, with only one rail, it should cost half as much as a train."
Yup, that sums up our state government in a single sentence. Election day can't come soon enough.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

I'm pretty sure those are satirical. Check out the rest:
What does it tell you about our state government that without seeing those, I took it seriously?

Cichlidae posted:

It's a continuous search. Our current (epoxy) markings are much better than the painted markings most of the country uses in that respect. We can't use raised pavement markers. I saw some sunken markers in New Hampshire, but I'm not sure if that's SOP.
Don't we have sunken pavement markings everywhere?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

The 6" lane lines on freeways are usually embedded plastic, unless we're paving in the Winter or using a thin overlay like Novachip. All the other stripes are epoxy, just laid down on top. We did use sunken markings as an experiment on the Putnam Bridge, and those have held up pretty well.
I could have sworn there were embedded reflectors in at least a few places on the Parkway and 95 in lower Fairfield County, but Google Street View is showing otherwise. Now I have to figure out what I'm remembering so I can prove to myself I'm not going insane.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

OK, I give up, there are definitely no embedded reflectors on my commute. I still remember not only them being there on the Parkway, but asking my dad about them years ago, did they maybe try them 10 or 15 years ago and not replace them when they repaved?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If I remember right, they were like the one on the top, a shallow groove that got deeper until the part where the reflector was attached, but they didn't have the groove behind them.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_YUdY70I6ykk/RqVZgJs3_aI/AAAAAAAAAMw/9uKH8rRK3Qc/fourth+leg+-+reflector+test+1.JPG

I guess they didn't do much good if I never noticed them missing.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Turns out I'm not crazy after all. Snapped this in Darien on the Parkway this morning

And now back to something I brought up last year, this clusterfuck around exit 24 from I95

The islands are currently surrounded with jersey barriers, and the areas outlined in red have been completely excavated with prefabricated concrete curbs going in around them. While I never liked this set of intersections, this improvement project has so far made it worse. When heading north from the bottom right, I put a "1" between the little island and big one right before you go under the bridge. This lane yields to traffic coming around from the bottom left, and while it used to be difficult at times to see which lane cars were in or how fast they were going, there's not almost 0 visibility. Hopefully when they take down the barriers it will be OK.

Just past that is a big blue arrow and a "2." I crossed out the road with a squiggle that used to bypass the stop sign for people heading around back under the bridge. The problem is that the blue arrow is where traffic backs up severely now. Instead of the weave conflict up top, people coming from the 3 approaches to go under the bridge have to wait in line for the stop sign at 2, and every single time I come around the inside where that blue arrow is I either have to stop suddenly because the bridge and trees make it a blind curve, or someone coming from my right gets very angry at the fact that they have to yield and inches up until they're almost scraping the side of my car. I wouldn't try coming from the left approach with right of way and going right unless I had a death wish.

3 and 4 have severely impaired visibility because of the construction and since traffic at 3 yields to traffic from the left, which has smoothed out since work started, it takes forever to get through.

Can we just demolish the whole thing and make it a big roundabout? And close exit 24 south while we're at it since it's redundant because of exit 23, 3/4 of a mile back?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Large Hardon Collider posted:

What's up with those stripes?
They're red, white, and blue :911:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Drove up to Rome, NY yesterday and although the Taconic State Parkway is terrifying at night without lights and assorted wildlife running out in front of cars and intersections between local roads and something with a 55 speed limit that claims to be a parkway, I really liked the fact that their many of their exit signs, stop signs, and yield signs have reflectorized poles color coded to the sign. Is this a new standard thing or did the guys in the NY State DOT all got high and say "Hey man, you know what would be awesome, if the poles on signs were shiny, too?"

Also, driving out to Michigan a few weeks ago, Ohio has a shitload of signs that should be on breakaway posts just nailed to 4x4s stuck into the ground, what kind of bullshit is that?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

Perfectly fine, according to the MUTCD, as long as the color of the ribbon matches the color of the sign background. We've put a few red ones on stop signs and yellow ones on chevrons here.
OK, please start doing this in CT.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Bumming Your Scene posted:

This is an interesting route for the road to take...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...2,0.003884&z=19

Google drivers :byodood:
There are plenty of places on Street View where the drivers pulled over into a rest stop or parking lot, always a bit of a WTF moment finding them, especially when what you're looking for is near there on the road

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

grover posted:

Why is that? Bigger cars? Inability to accelerate? Unwillingness to exploit openings in traffic? Combination of the three?
Overall skill and knowledge required to get a license is what Europeans walk out of their first day of drivers' education knowing.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

Our lights here flash when they're not in sequential operation. Flashing yellow means you have the right of way (unless you're turning), and flashing red acts like a stop sign. The only times I've seen signs and signals at the same time are:
OK, now explain the ones in Stamford that are green and flashing yellow in one direction and green and flashing red in the other. They just want us to die, right?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

OK, now do these

My money is on hobo storage.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Any cameras at intersections in CT are for traffic monitoring and not red light enforcement, right?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

Do you have some scientific evidence for this? Even if rear-ends increase, the number of angle accidents could be reduced, and those are much more severe. I'm interested to see if some research has been done, so I'll have something to fire back at my boss the next time he goes on his "let's put speed and red-light cameras on every road" tirades.
The increase in rear endings is the cost of reducing serious injuries and fatalities, which red light cameras do. Unfortunately, there are plenty of cameras out there that will ticket you on yellow and green lights.

If we do start getting speed cameras here, I sincerely hope there will be groups of angry drivers destroying them like there are in the UK.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

They have speed humps in a few places around here and they were pretty much the best part of driving in the two cars I had with air suspensions. Slow to 10mph? Hell no, up to 35, float over in the town car, see if I can get some rear wheel hop and leave tire marks on it in the Mark VII. Without those, I would have just gone the speed limit on those roads, but they made it so much fun.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Crackpipe posted:

I'm not sure if this is better than their chip sealing jobs which inevitably end up with huge patches of traction-free oil where there was once asphalt. I'm sure they'll either pave the street again for real, then immediately chip seal it so it can quickly wear down and be dangerous once more. or simply chip seal what's there now and call it a day.
Do they at least run a steamroller over it when they're done? Fairfield did another road a few weeks ago where they just dumped rocks and called it a day.

Cichlidae posted:

First off, if the cycle length is 6 minutes, that's really excessive. Anything above 120 seconds is going to operate badly; 60-90 is ideal.
Oh, so that 12 minute (according to city traffic guys) wait for a left turn arrow into UCONN Stamford's garage when I was a student wasn't standard?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Basically, unless there was a cop sitting there, the light was optional. They changed it to 3 minutes max once it senses a car in the left turn lane, which only feels like 10 minutes when there's no oncoming traffic, especially if I was late for class.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I noticed something kind of weird the other day. The southbound entrance to the parkway from Long Ridge Road is a T intersection. I sit at the end of the exit ramp http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=...,239.41,,0,5.59 and the signal pattern is
-Traffic from the right goes gets a green light and protected left turn
-Protected left ends, both ways get green light and people coming from the left get angry because it's a stop controlled entrance ramp so people getting onto the ramp are backed up and blocking traffic from the left. Eventually a few cars get past, which is most of them because only people who live in North Stamford actually drive to North Stamford.
-Traffic from the left stops and traffic from the right gets another protected left.
-People coming off the exit ramp get a green light and I make several rude gestures at people turning left onto the ramp because they're blocking me from making a left turn and I'm already 5 minutes late for work.

Is the protected left at the beginning and end of the cycle a standard thing? Is splitting it because of the stop controlled ramp a crude form of ramp metering? Is it a good idea?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

As I was heading to work this afternoon, I passed by exit 10 on 95 South. I wasn't sure whether I was seeing it right, so I had my brother take a look. On the island at the end of the ramp, there was a Darien Police officer parked perpendicular to the ramp, running radar. What's the speed limit on exit ramps? Is speeding on exit ramps such a huge problem that they had a genuine need to have one of their officers run radar there instead of looking for minorities to pull over?
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&lay...0,0.022724&z=16

Also, click through this intersection from a few different directions to see what a clusterfuck it is. Can you guys replace it with a roundabout?
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=...,25.23,,0,12.27

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 22, 2010

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Parkway has the advantage of no trucks, but still has the worst exit ramp ever. I think it was discussed earlier in the thread.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=41.142926,-73.426012&spn=0.000702,0.00142&t=k&z=20

Check street view to get an idea of how truly terrible it is.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=...264.62,,0,13.07

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I would guess that if they put in a roundabout, it would be best to have bypasses from Waalhavenweg heading south to Reeweg and from Reeweg to east on Waalhaven Z.z. Big truck apron around the middle and wide lanes could probably do it. That's assuming there's roughly equal volume coming from each way, otherwise the intersection would probably be better.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I am a bit :tinfoil: about these cameras and I finally found this explanation. http://vbgov.com/vgn.aspx?vgnextoid...nextfmt=default
The city calls them Machine Vision cameras which help guide the timing at traffic lights. Can these record video or is just a stream of data that is interpreted by the traffic light? How do they work? I know the site says it doesn't record the video, but they are freaking everywhere now. Thanks.
Here in Stamford they have old-style and PTZ domes all over and they said they're to help monitor traffic flow and that the city DOT can look at them, but they're not used for enforcement.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

SSI shredder.
wow, it's like Will it Blend? with a thousand times the power and none of the enthusiasm.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Can we have a new exit 40 interchange yet?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A while ago you posted a site with maps of traffic surveys for various towns, but I can't find it again. I'm highly doubtful of whether certain stop signs and lights around here are really necessary. Can you post it again?

patricius posted:

Cichlidae, do you think there will be any big changes for your projects as a result of Dan Malloy winning the gubernatorial election?
If nothing else, at least we didn't get the guy who says that declaring a state of financial emergency means all state employee contracts are off.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

the FHWA has banned strobes on signs
So would I have ground to stand on if I asked the town to remove those "Your Speed" radar signs with the xenon strobe that flashes if you go over the limit,or the car behind you goes over, or the car in front of you, the one going the other direction, a branch flails in front of it in the wind? Even if they turned them off at night so they didn't blind drivers I'd be fine with it. On top of that, the 25 limit during the day is fine because it's a school zone, but the road would be safe at 35 at night, probably 40 during the day, but Fairfield's speed limits are all at least 10 under what they should be.

edit: saw another Darien cop running radar on an I95 ramp, an entrance this time. These guys have nothing to do whatsoever.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 15, 2010

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

So did you guys find the Higgs boson yet?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Vino posted:

But anyway, I've always wondered, what is the mechanism that those vehicles have to change the lights and how does it know which way the vehicle is coming from? I heard some VIP government vehicles also have this kind of thing.
Around here it's optical and they have little boxes on top that point toward approaching traffic. Like this one, but we have them on the wires or mast arms.

Cichlidae posted:

The TMC got plenty of calls an angry letters to the effect of "your signs are distracting and I can't believe you would waste public money to advertise!"
That's not how advertising works :doh:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

This is a good, efficient, well-thought-out intersection. The brilliance really shines through if you go through as much of it as is available in Street View.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

quazi posted:

I'd guess that's the closest we Americans have to the Magic Roundabout. Except there's less "round-" and more overlapping-triangle-clusterfuck-about.
My favorite is when I'm turning left from E. Wall St. onto East Ave. and someone makes the permitted right turn on red from Morgan Ave. into the left lane, the trees and bushes on the island make it difficult to see whether they're in the left or right lane, and right after those two lanes merge into one after the island we end up honking and making helpful gestures at each other.

Park St. should be closed from Lewis St. to the intersection, Hubbels La. should go away entirely, and E. Wall St. and Morgan Ave. should be lined up to make the whole thing a proper intersection.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 23, 2010

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

GWBBQ, you make me really happy that I don't work in District 3. As crazy as the Hartford area is, at least I don't have to deal with crazy intersections in built-up areas and Kevlar-lined signal cabinets.
Please tell me you're not joking and Bridgeport actually had to reinforce their boxes with kevlar.

I've been meaning to bring my camcorder and suction cup mount with me and get some videos of particularly terrible spots around here, I'm sure most of the people following this thread would get a laugh from them.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

remove on-street parking [on Route 1]
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

I get to go out again later this week or the next, hopefully when it's a bit less windy.
If you're going down to Norwalk, be sure to check out the rebuilt I95 exit 24/Black Rock Turnpike/Post Road intersection that I've complained about so many times on your way. It's down to only 95% of the clusterfuck that it was, lovely drivers still ruin everything for everyone, and they're putting up three more sets of lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

That'd be something to ask Google. When I worked in the TMC, we got different speed reports for each lane, and could use it to track which lanes were backing up and find the cause of congestion. I suppose either Google doesn't pay enough for that info, or more likely, it only offers it to people who pay THEM.
Google crowdsources its traffic data. If you have a smartphone with GPS and Google Maps installed, you've already opted in to submit anonymous data for traffic analysis.