Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

On another note, I was looking through statewide crash statistics today. Something like 45% of CT's fatalities are linked to drunk driving, which is much higher than the national average. I looked a bit deeper. Only 6.4% of drunk drivers involved in fatal accidents have gotten DUIs before. I looked up DUI convictions. The average DUI arrest is for people over twice the legal limit. However, only about 30% of those arrested for DUI are actually found guilty, so they just get dumped out on the road again... and, presumably, go on to smash into trees and other motorists.
People arrested for DUI without causing an accident with serious injuries to others and with a BAC under .16 go through pretrial diversion that involves a 6 month license suspension, a few thousand dollars in fees, a 10 or 15 week alcohol education course, and a year during which another arrest or most violations other than a minor speeding ticket (another DUI, driving an unregistered vehicle, not carrying insurance, driving with a suspended license, etc.) ends the pretrial diversion and sends them back to court where they have to either plead guilty or go to trial. If they cause serious injuries or have a higher BAC, it's a lot more expensive, they have to go through an evaluation for alcohol abuse and intensive treatment if they're found to have an alcohol abuse problem. One of my mom's friends who did have a serious drinking problem went through two years of treatment and counseling before she got her license back and another two years of staying clean (she's on year 5 without a drink, so this was the help she needed) before charges were dropped. The pretrial diversion program can only be used once in a ten year period, any further offenses go to trial. That's hardly just being dumped back on the road.

The problem isn't that we aren't punishing people hard enough, it's that the vast majority of people who drive drunk regardless of number of offenses aren't caught unless they're involved in an accident.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

fishmech posted:

you'll get better luck avoiding the Hartford area entirely
This is true pretty much across the board, not just when driving.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

Yup, we're making up for lost time. The reason for that little missing chunk from 2008-2014 is debated, but the general consensus seems to be its cause was the recession. The very fast growth since, rivaling what we saw in the 1990s, reflects an economy that's picking up steam once more.
I've been taking the train to work for a few years now, but I was driving back then and anecdotally this sounds right to me. Driving between Fairfield and Stamford, I noticed the usual dip in traffic between Christmas and New Year's, and it didn't pick back up like usual because there had been so many layoffs at the end of the year. In particular, the exit 41 southbound ramp on the Parkway would back up into the right lane starting around 7:30 and not clear until shortly before 9, but after all the AIG layoffs in 2008-2009 the road would stay clear.

quote:

You might wonder how it's possible for roads that are congested for several hours a day to take more traffic. Well, I've got two theories. The first one is the pessimistic one: the congestion spreads to off-peak hours as people adjust their commutes. If I had the time to look through the detailed hourly data, I could see if that's the case. The optimistic theory is a bit nicer: roads operate most efficiently at Level of Service E. A road at LOS F is moving fewer cars than one that is less congested. So if the demand goes down, paradoxically, you could end up with a higher throughput. Traffic engineering is weird.
Traffic seems a lot heavier at what used to be off-peak times and rush hour is several hours of LOS F. I'm going with the pessimistic theory.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Going back a few days,

Cichlidae posted:

That depends on whether the state has a vulnerable users bill. In some states (CT included), if a car hits a ped, it makes no difference whether the ped was in a crosswalk or not. In a state without one, if the light is green and a ped steps off the curb and gets creamed, what happens next depends on whether there's a marked crosswalk.

Regardless, I think there is a definite safety bonus to having those retroreflective white lines. With bars or stringers, you can see a pedestrian wearing black even in the dead of night because they stand out against the bright retroflective paint. So even though yeah, crosswalks at intersections don't serve a legal function here, I will still design every single one of them to meet the MUTCD requirements, even if it clashes with the aesthetic.
What do you think of these? https://goo.gl/maps/wAGT3sQwac12

It's brick pattern stamped into fresh hot asphalt, painted brown, and then painted with white retroreflective lines (as opposed to the disastrous attempt to use actual brick crosswalks which was [url=https://goo.gl/maps/5u9Mt7H2yST2]
unsuccessfully paved over.) It looks nice and appears to be MUTCD compliant.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

dupersaurus posted:

In serious, world-shaking news, everyone's favorite under-height bridge has got a make over with signals and a fancy electronic warning sign. We'll see how much good it does.

Is tying the over-height detector with the signal so that it triggers a red light something that can be done? The sensor is a couple hundred feet or so downstream from the intersection.
Absolutely possible but won't do a bit of good. A few years ago the Connecticut DOT was rebuilding a bridge on the Merritt Parkway. Bridge clearance was reduced to 10 feet and in the quarter mile leading up to the bridge there were 14 warning signs, 4 sets of strobe lights to warn overheight vehicles, and an audible alarm (although I suspect this was more to warn the workers to get off rather than deter drivers who had gotten to that point. By the time the project was done, I think the total was 7 tractor trailers and a camper had hit the beam they put in place to stop vehicles before they hit the bridge.

The Parkway is a limited access highway and vehicles over 8 feet tall are always prohibited, so those warnings were in addition to the normal signs at every entrance and interchange warning that they weren't allowed on the road in the first place and signs alongside those warning about reduced clearance.

edit:

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Me too. I particularly like the rendering where it bends smoothly with the road as if the vehicle was made of rubber.

Does anyone have an explanation for why 95% of the unrealistic inventions you see in Popular Science and its ilk seem to be either vehicles or weapons?
They're flashy and it's easy to come up with cool-looking hypotheticals and ignore the practical problems you would have implementing them. Just about everyone who subscribes to them would love to have a faster, safer, more efficient car, and the average reader is older and more right-leaning so they're the type to be more excited about fancy new weapons and military developments.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 17, 2016

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What kind of road surface will do this when it gets hot?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCzfTiIp97Y
:stare: We're all probably a bit desensitized to seeing cars jumping in movies, but that has to be close to the line between being shaken up and burst fracturing vertebrae.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Is that a gigantic speed hump? If so it's probably because throwing another few inches of asphalt down is cheap.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

I've been complaining about Stamford CT being an awful place to drive and walk (God help you if you want to ride a bike,) since drat near the beginning of this thread, and apparently I wasn't the only one thinking that. The city recently hired Josh Benson, who was largely responsible for the NYC projects to make the city more bike and pedestrian friendly. I'm excited to see what happens with not just him on board, but the kind of attitude the city has looking forward to hire someone like him.
Update: the city is actually fixing stuff, putting in crosswalks with pedestrian refuges on medians and HAWK signals (construction seen in progress here where UConn residence halls are being built and up the street here where rumor has it another big residential development will be built.) The crosswalk to the train station seen here has been replaced with a 12 foot wide raised crosswalk lined up with the entrance to the Transportation Center. This run-down park and horrible intersection will be completely renovated to make it a more friendly place http://www.stamfordct.gov/sites/stamfordct/files/uploads/veterans_memorial_park_design_booklet_master_plan_10.15.pdf

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

As of October 28th, All Electronic Tolling is active on the Masspike, and the tollbooth demolition is proceeding full steam ahead.

The center lanes at the Weston toll plaza were paved over on Monday and were open to traffic on Tuesday morning. Many plazas are mostly torn down already. They might actually beat the November 22nd goal for "phase one" where the booths are totally demolished and traffic is shifted onto temporary lanes while the interchanges are reconfigured. The presentations for those reconfigurations are up on MassDOT's AET website. Most of them are pretty sensible and straightforward, though 90/495 is kind of a hackjob until they can truly rebuild the interchange from the ground up.
I took 84-90-290 from the CT border to Worcester this weekend and it didn't look like there were any EZ Pass or license plate readers around, are they not up yet or did I not see them because it was dark? I don't want to miss a bill if I should be expecting one.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

sleepy.eyes posted:

When you are at a stoplight there are three options:

A) turn left
B) turn right
C) drive directly into the house in front of you

Why is it necessary to have a huge reflective sign with arrows pointing out that you only should choose A or B?
The put the big signs and flashing arrows here after a bunch of people died.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1552168,-73.4269825,3a,75y,14.09h,72.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSijPy_n080vvm74iFFhfgg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

chmods please posted:

Wow, and I thought CT-15 was bad.

Check out this whole interchange. Completely hosed, and I think it's the most dangerous one in CT.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1431075,-73.4236809,3a,75y,260.21h,71.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1serVPWcesfa1Yo67BrjZWSQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Turdsdown Tom posted:

oh my loving god please don't tell me people trying to continue onto Creeping Hemlock Dr enter the 40B onramp....and then cross-over the 40B off-ramp to get to the residential area. this might be the worst thing I've ever seen in this thread. it definitely has got to be up there. that's mindblowing.
That's exactly what they have to do. I take 40B even when I'm getting off to go south because holy poo poo, gently caress trying to safely slow down and not roll your car.

I have another local oddity for you. It's been redone since, but look at the road markings on the highway entrance ramp. Why would those be there?

There used to be a house with a driveway on the entrance ramp

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

No, it hasn't been built because the Parkway has to be frozen in time to "preserve its historic character."

I'm being facetious, but only a little.
It took an executive order signed during a state of emergency to cut down trees that were about to fall on the road, that's not far off. Construction of a new interchange is tentatively planned to start in 2021, but 5 years ago it was tentatively planned to start last year, so you can guess what's going to happen.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

These have been everywhere lately. Are they traffic survey cameras or is the NWO spying on me?

:stare:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm skeptical of the notion that CT pays for roads.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

FantasticExtrusion posted:

I am back

And I am irate, I said NO PICKLES OR ONIONS

This happens DAILY. I use that ramp once a day. Just not merging. You will see people behind them merging. It is very confusing. Moving on, I got insecure about it. Like really, is it me? Who is wrong here? I don't think it's me. It has been before, but not now
Drive to the end of the ramp and merge. Merging early slows down traffic and makes it less safe for everyone.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Eclogite posted:

Instead of spending thousands of dollars on a single bollard, why not buy 1-2 ton flat-faced boulders for a few hundred dollars each from a local quarry and cement them to the ground? Simple, quick, much cheaper, and aesthetically pleasing. :effort:
You want to spend MY TAX DOLLARS on ROCKS?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Any idea what these chevrons on the shoulder of the Merritt Parkway might be? They're not evenly spaced, direction doesn't seem to correlate with slope, and I don't see any obvious thing they're marking.

Street view https://goo.gl/maps/FJeUkTcJdGo

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Entropist posted:

They'll get the message when you squeeze your bike in in front of them anyway, give them an angry look, point at the bike sign, and take all the time you need to get going when the light turns green.

Taxis in Amsterdam ignore bike boxes too, I'm speaking from experience here...
You don't understand how incredibly hostile American drivers are to cyclists.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Those put our Mixmaster to shame https://goo.gl/maps/RcygYweh5L42

Then there's this monstrosity in Dallas.

Baronjutter posted:

The most terrifying thing american highways seem to have are insanely dangerous on-ramps. Like instead of having a nice acceleration lane and a merge you've got maybe 50' of lane to some how safely get up to freeway speeds from a stop and merge in, while american drivers also seem to see letting people merge as a sign of weakness or something and will actively close gaps to stop you from changing lanes.
They rebuilt this rest stop by my house a few years ago and kept this instead of building a proper ramp. https://goo.gl/maps/ngvaAEsJMdH2

Once the Merritt Parkway turns into the Wilbur Cross Parkway, most entrances and exits are like this https://goo.gl/maps/i7ogpSs2LBz

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

School buses are great, but for a three mile trip, biking is a very reasonable mode of transportation.
You underestimate how terrible US commutes are. Here's the nearest intersection to my house to the nearest elementary school. https://goo.gl/maps/aEmaB4v9vtH2

It regularly takes me 2-20 minutes to pull out onto Black Rock Turnpike and turn left in a car. Kids on bikes? forget it. The speed limit is 35 but considering the conventional wisdom in this thread of speed limit set at 85th percentile speed, it should be 50+ Before you suggest back roads, switch to a topo map and tell me whether that's appropriate for 5-10 year old kids.

fishmech" posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbcE9BXZNfk

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Most intersections are some variations on this: https://twitter.com/fishmanpet/status/1105976430683410433
The streets are clear of snow because of plowing and the relentless pounding of car tires, and the crosswalks are clear because people keep them shoveled, but the path to the drain is blocked by the ice in the gutter. My thought is that if the drain was in the center of the street, which is generally much clearer than the gutter, that water would run their and drain away.

Relatedly, I'm currently researching if I can use something like a battery operated hammer drill to break up ice
Clear crosswalks sound nice. Every year we have soggy footprints through mountains of plowed snow, sometimes 3 feet high and 8 feet wide.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Peanut President posted:

You guys keep saying that as if drivers are rational entities who will drive safely. IDK what it's like in europe but that is decidedly not the loving case in the us.
Americans are exceptional because of some principle that absolutely isn't fallacious :thunk: (we absolutely do have sub-par driver's ed, but we aren't uniquely stupid or inept) If you don't want people driving over 25, don't build wide open, unpainted side streets with 12-14 foot lanes. If you build a drag strip, people are going to drive fast on it. You can't erase generations and decades of speed limits being set ridiculously slow by changing signs any more than you can stop middle school kids from running in the hall; you have to acknowledge that the whole system is hosed from top to bottom and address that, not just driver behavior.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 5, 2019

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Jonnty posted:

Is this purely aimed at US drivers - do you really not have roads where you're unlikely to want to go at the speed limit all (or even some of) the time?
Around here, the roads that aren't safe at 25mph are signed for it. When I see a sign for 15 or 20, I wouldn't be going any faster anyway. I can't think of any road where I wouldn't be comfortable doing the limit except in severe weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

About people using a driveway as a road ... https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/d2ubd8/private_driveway_being_used_as_public_roadway_and/

quote:

Purchased 30 acres of land and built a house several years back in central Florida, had a driveway installed that cuts across the center of my property allowing me to exit on either of two main roads.

I now have traffic using my driveway as a shortcut between the two roads up to and including 18 wheelers and other large vehicles since using my driveway cuts off nearly half an hour of travel time between two cities.

I installed pillars and gates on both ends of the driveway and marked it private property but the gates were torn down and the pillars knocked over.

I have contacted the county about it and they sent out a guy from code compliance who looked around for a few minutes and left.

i have now received a notice about not keeping the roadway to state standards and that the county will be out to perform maintenance bringing the roadway up to standards, ie. widening it and repaving which i will be personally responsible for paying for.

Ive told them if they want it to be a public road then fine buy me out and ill move elsewhere but they refuse to do so.

As of right now i have removed half the driveway past my house and put up signs and markers stating dead end road and now the county is threatening to have me arrested for destruction of public property.

before anyone asks, no, there are no easements on this property anywhere near the area the driveway goes through and no easements in any form that travel in that direction on the property, closest thing is a power company easement along the southern edge of the land.