Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hofp
Feb 19, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

We've got a bit of free time, so here's a quick rundown of the agencies in the USA most responsible for transportation-related policy.

FEDS
- Secretary of Transportation: Oversees federal transportation agencies and resolves high-level disputes.
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA): Responsible for road transportation across the country, supervises projects on the National Highway system.
- Federal Railroad Administration (FRA): Rails roads.
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA): Flies around in planes wishing they were the FHWA.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA): Makes sure you're wearing your seatbelt.

NGO
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO): Writes policy books and sells them for enormous fees. Used to be called AASHO. Hahaha, rear end ho...
- Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE): Writes incredibly dense and buzzword-filled books on Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE): YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!

BOOKS
- Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD): Free book from the FHWA, lacking page numbers. Tells you everything you need to know about signals, signing, pavement markings, etc.
- A Policy on the Geometric Design of Highways and Streets (Green Book): $250 paperback from AASHTO explaining how to design road geometrics of all sorts.
- A Manual of User Benefit Analysis for Highways (Red Book): $120 book from AASHTO that explains the basics of engineering economics.
- Roadside Design Guide: $160 book from AASHTO that explains why we use guardrail.
- Necronomicon: Pray to the Dark Lord that AASHTO doesn't raise prices again.

Great thread! I'm a civil engineer that works mostly on land development projects(bluhhhhh). My company's done some roadway improvement stuff too, but it's been pretty minor.

Out of curiosity, I'm thinking about getting into the transportation side of things since I don't much like what I'm doing now. I'm planning on going back for a master's degree with a transportation focus, and was wondering if you had any tips for getting into either DOTS or transportation divisions in some larger companies.

Also, a little more on topic, do you think that the Green book is abused a little bit when dealing with smaller local roads? For example, in my area we have to design local roads to municipal standards. Fair enough. However, most of these criteria are pulled out of the green book, which to me is overkill for roads that are like 25-35 mph tops. You've got poo poo like superelevation, extra wide lanes and so forth on these residential roads, and to me it seems like a safety issue. You've designed a road to be "safe" for cars flying along at high speeds, and then people of course do just that through residential neighborhoods. Whereas older neighborhoods with narrow streets, sharp turns and so forth seem to have people driving at an overall lower speed when I drive on them. Do you have an opinion, or have you seen any data on this type thing (pedestrian/vehicle accidents by neighborhood and such)? I don't know, it just doesn't strike me as particularly safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU