Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sc0ticus
Apr 16, 2005
hey skin like a doll
Fantastic thread!

I would love a discussion on Traffic Jams. What causes them? How do you model them? Do they have predictable flow and what do traffic engineers due to prevent them?

(My pet theory is that they are caused by people driving in the wrong lane. Granny McGee staying in the second from the left lane when she should be in the right. Also, big trucks prevent people from merging/passing. What do you think? Any validity to that?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sc0ticus
Apr 16, 2005
hey skin like a doll

Neutrino posted:

On a four lane highway that is operating normally, a person driving slowly in the "fast lane" will prevent speedier drivers from driving what they think they have the right to drive. That does not cause traffic jams unless you get those speedier drivers tailgating and driving recklessly. More often than not you get somebody tailgating or trying to cut off the wrong person.

I'm with you, just chill out and turn the music up. But I think these 'entitled' people cause problems because of excessive tailgating and braking when they're following slower drivers. This in turns causes more stop and go behavior, which could be ameliorated by the slower drivers letting the aggros pass. Just my little theory in any case.