Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basilson
Sep 21, 2005

Yeah, right, buddy, liquor store robbery, officer down. Sure. And I'm Edward G. Robinson.
This is an awesome thread, thanks for making it!

Questions!:

My newly adopted home city of Auckland, New Zealand, with its respectable-for-a-relatively-small-city freeway network has taken to installing ramp signals on pretty much every on-ramp. I'm pretty sure they only get used during peak hours, but they're "dumb" i.e they can't tell how congested that section of freeway is before releasing a pair of vehicles to join the freeway, and some of them are on inclining on-ramps that in turn lead to inclining sections of freeway, meaning you have to accelerate harder for longer to reach freeway speeds. Are ramp signals a good idea? Do they help to ease congestion?

Also, I was in Bangkok, Thailand a little while ago and came across what I thought to be an awesome feature of their stoplights which I've never seen before or since. Mounted next to the actual stoplight is a countdown timer which will count down the seconds of each phase of the light. I thought this was great as it means you'll always know how long you have to wait at the intersection before the light goes green. How come I've never seen these anywhere else? Is it actually a stupid idea for reasons I'm not aware of? I can't really see any downsides. Am I stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basilson
Sep 21, 2005

Yeah, right, buddy, liquor store robbery, officer down. Sure. And I'm Edward G. Robinson.

Grand Fromage posted:

Wikipedia told me about a guided busway opening in England, and now that I've read about this I have to ask what the point is. It looks like a light rail system without any of the good parts.

Adelaide in South Australia has something like this. Never been on it so can't tell if it's any good, but here's the article if anyone's interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-Bahn_Busway