Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ooh, this sounds interesting. I'd love to hear about how the highway standards differ between the U.S. and Europe. Infrastructure seems overall better over there and I've never been able to put my finger on why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Steppo posted:

Who in the hell thought that the route 395/2 interchange in Connecticut was a good loving idea?

:edit: Seriously only about 50 yards to merge-in/merge-out :wtc:

Oh poo poo I know that road! Yeah I hate that exit. HATE with a passion. One of these days I'm going to call up the DOT and complain. (I've heard from a reliable source that they're required to at least listen to you and investigate your complaint).

Oh yeah and the worst part about that road is it's the shortest route back home to visit the in-laws.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

Thanks for not ruining some engineer's day :)

Here's a bad customer story for you guys! My department doesn't deal with complaints directly, but I've done some digging and found some pretty hilarious things, and we'll rarely get a misguided phone call from some concerned citizen. Here is one such event!

Worth reading, despite its length!

Note: This is an actual email, horrible syntax preserved, names removed. Let's hope it fits in one post.

Hooooooooly poo poo, that guy's nuts! Like... please lock me up in a rubber room and throw away the key nuts. I would not want to meet that guy on the street.

EDIT: ^^^^ Please talk about canceled freeways!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

I'd be willing to bet that it's been 5-way for a very long time. All of our policy documents say that intersections are only 4-way and 3-way, and never to intentionally create something more complex.

What will eventually happen, as we've already done in hundreds of places around the state, is "tee up" the fifth leg and make a new intersection away from the existing one, transforming the old intersection into a 4-leg. Observe:

It's a very simple improvement to fix a complex problem.

I can't tell what's going on in this picture. I can see that there used to be a connecting road there on the right. Is that all there is to it? Did they just dead-end that road, or what? I can't really tell from the picture.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

OP! Thank you for taking time to answer all our questions so far. This thread has been very informative. Now I'd like to add a question to the pile:

You've made your disdain for speed limits quite plain. However, surely there are situations where it would be beneficial to have traffic drive slower (residential neighborhoods come to mind). What are some of the ways to get traffic to slow down without imposing an arbitrary speed limit on roads that were clearly designed for much higher speeds?

I can think of two ways on my own. If I may illustrate them with a story, and render my opinion on which is more effective, perhaps you could correct me?

I grew up in Phoenix, a city that lauds itself for its urban planning. (Signs when you enter town call it "the best run city in the world.") Anyway, they have lots of nice straight streets set up in a grid system, and through the residential areas, to slow traffic down, they install the dreaded speed bump. My step-brother (before he was my step-brother), actually organized his boy scout troop to petition the town to install speed bumps on his street. My dad would curse his name every time we drove home. Seems to me such a thing serves to piss off the residents as much as it would slow traffic. Thoughts?

On the other side of the coin, there was a certain side street that was very conveniently placed to avoid rush hour traffic on my way to school. Once, when driving that road, I noticed that the town had apparently either sold or given a portion of the road to one of the property owners, making a small spit of land stick out into the once-straight road, effectively making the road curve a bit. This in turn made traffic slow down out of the necessity of avoiding driving over the guy's lawn. This would seem to be a more effective way of slowing traffic down, and has the added benefit of not making it obvious that that's what's happening, so you don't piss off the motorists.

What's your take on these, and other solutions to making people slow down through residential areas, or other situations where you need traffic to drive slower?

EDIT: Oh, and just to make it clear, I do not think that Phoenix is the paragon of urban planning, as the city claims to be. The place is a poo poo-hole, the very worst example of urban sprawl outside of L.A. The way the city is laid out makes it impossible to find your way around because every loving street corner looks the same. The city is run by idiots and I am so glad I don't live there anymore.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 2, 2009

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I've seen that. I'm not sure what the point of the whole exercise was. Yes, people rarely drive the speed limit. Whoop-de-doo. I think most people are aware (or at least I've been aware for a long time) that speed limits are arbitrary and set by local or state governments, and not based on how people actually drive. I've also been aware for a long time of the power of lobbies to alter speed limits or install other speed-altering features (such as my aforementioned goodie-two-shoes step-brother who got his boyscout troop to lobby the town to install speed bumps on his street).

I don't know, the video is entertaining, but at the same time I just want to say, "So what?"

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Once again, your informative posts, mixed with your snarky sense of humor, never fail to deliver. Keep 'em coming!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

That was probably ADOT instead of COP, and the only reason they "get away with it" is as far as I can tell, they consider SR143 a freeway only when it suits them, and 48th Street when it fits their need. To be fair, 143 is only a few miles long and is one of the few freeways that is actually a 55 limit instead of a 65.

It also pretty much only exists to feed Sky Harbor. SR153 technically did as well, but it saw such low volume (mostly because despite being a divided highway, it doesn't intersect any other divided highway directly) that ADOT gave it back to Phoenix and it's been 44th Street for a few years.

The whole 143/153 pair is kind of a clusterfuck, anyway. The only well-designed bits are the SPUIs at 143/University and 143/Washington.

Besides, the ramp at the other end of the 143, to 10E, is worse. It backs up all the way to University some days, and has people weaving in and out of it along that whole mile-long lane leading into it to try and cut other people off, because the two lanes that don't go onto the freeway are nearly deserted by comparison.

I always love hearing about how hosed up Phoenix is. :)

Incidentally, you seem to know an awful lot about Phoenix's roads, more than me anyway, and I grew up there!

Oh yeah, and "Best run city in the world," my rear end!

(Great pictures, Cichlidae.)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

That business of school buses on railroad crossing reminds me of a show I watched years and years ago (probably on Discovery, but don't quote me on that), talking about the time a substitute bus driver had to stop at a signal after the train tracks. The rear end end of the bus ended up hanging just over the tracks, a train hit it, ripped the passenger compartment off its chassis, flipped it around 180 degrees, and killed several kids. Horrible. Despite my tongue-in-cheek treatment of that railroad safety book, railroad crossings are no joke! :ohdear:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lovecraftian plots aside, that is the worst drawing of a duck I've ever seen. It looks like a dinosaur or something. And what the hell is that thing just to the upper right of the large "duck?" Some sort of vampiduck coming to suck its blood? You may be on to something, Cichlidae. :tinfoil:

EDIT: And now that I'm looking at it, what the hell is wrong with Ima's left arm?!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

See this big mound of soil? It wasn't in the plans. That is, it was supposed to be removed, but it's probably contaminated with polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). If we test it, we have to dispose of it, which would cost something like $4 million. Sooo.... we're just making the parking lot a little taller.

See? There's a crab! All this nonsense about cancer must just be some hocus pocus. I... no, it's perfectly normal for crabs to have seven legs! Stop whining and eat the dirt.

As an environmental scientist, I am appalled by this. As a goon, I am heartily amused!

Also that curry looks freaking delicious.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hey, Cichlidae, I just saw this on MSNBC, and I thought it was really cool!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39684119/ns/world_news-europe/

Worlds longest tunnel just completed, underneath the Alps. Will be able to accommodate high speed passenger and cargo rail by 2017.

But that's not the coolest part, at least not to me. The coolest part is that the tunnel is funded by Swiss taxpayers, who voted in the project in referendum, at the cost of $1,300 each.

Goddamn! :psyduck:

Can you imagine the poo poo storm it would cause over here if anyone even suggested each American taxpayer fork over 1,300 bucks to fund some infrastructure project? Hell, people throw hissy fits over paying an extra 8 bucks or so to fund something vital!

Now granted, the United States is a lot bigger (and richer?) than Switzerland, but still. Can you imagine if we did something like this? Or, even better: what kind of stuff could we do if our citizens were willing to fork over a thousand bucks and change?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

jermsz posted:

fix Auckland please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCKDBHT3i74

Oh wow. That was fascinating. Thanks for sharing that! Do you know if that series is going to continue?

I kept thinking of L.A. all the while I was watching that. But hell, I thought we Americans were in love with our autos. Looks like we have nothing on Aukland! It was encouraging to hear that U.S. cities are becoming much more mass transit friendly. Personally, I can't wait. I hate driving, and I love trains.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Funny you should mentioned the Hartford/Springfield rail line. I was reading about that on the DEP press releases. I was bored, okay?

They had a whole bunch because there was some announcement or other on Monday that announced receipt of more Federal money from that stimulus package thingy for mass transit, the one that CT got stiffed on in January. Anyway, the articles mention double tracking the Amtrak line between New Haven and Hartford, continuing the line up to Springfield, MA, with stops in Berlin, Bradley, etc.

Isn't that the exact route the Busway is supposed to take? What gives?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I swear some weird stuff used to happen at this one light on my way back from work. Periodically, it would show a yellow arrow at the same time as a green arrow. I could never be sure what I was looking at, though, because I'd usually make that turn at night, and I was preoccupied with getting home, so I didn't pay that close attention.

It was only after I cleared the light that I'd think, "Oh wait, yeah, that was weird."

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

bear shark posted:

Welp:

It just sounds like a gigantic waste of money to me. Is there actual support outside of the governor's office?

Aww poo poo. I was hoping they'd kill that useless waste of money and time. I'd much rather see them double track the Amrak lines and put up some light rail!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I've got a question about an annoying intersection that I have to drive through every day!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...,276.47,,1,0.92

This thing gridlocks so bad, in all directions. This approach can gridlock, then a couple cars trickle through, then the next approach that gets called will gridlock too!

Options for fixing it are nil, I'm sure, since it's surrounded by historical buildings (not the least of which the State Capitol!)

That light has problems too. I've had to bug the DOT about it on a couple of occasions. Last month the right side signal head (not the left) was on flashing red, and people kept running the light.

Oh, and that pedestrian crossing mid-block? I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10-foot pole. No way do I trust people to stop at that thing. I cross either at Trinity or Oak.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Wow and you even left that weird horse statue intact! :monocle:

But now I'll just be sad when I drive by there, thinking of what will never be.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I've never actually been inside the DAS building. I would like to see some more subterranean parking around there, though. Or heck, more parking garages in general. There's a parking garage in the basement of the office where I work, but only higher ups and State vehicles get to park there. There's also a parking garage under the Legislative building, but again, only Legislatures can park there. Scrubs like me have to park several blocks from the offices and fight downtown rush hour traffic.

Oh, and the lot where I can park? It's also overflow for the Legislative building, so when they're in session, sometimes I can't get a space at all. :(

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Can I come too, fellow "we're hosed" buddies?

Oh, and re: Europe being awesome. It's not just because Europe is more bike friendly. They also have much more mass transit than we do. For example, I spent the better part of a year in France, and they have trains everywhere. Where the trains don't go, often there are buses. One city I went to had free buses city-wide. The buses were paid for by a special tax on the local businesses. Can you imagine what a poo poo-storm that would create if we tried to do something like that here?

Add to that, their gas is a lot more expensive than ours (higher gas taxes), so people don't drive nearly as much, so the mass transit actually ends up getting used by people other than "the poors." Oh and their driver education programs are much more stringent, so they tend to be much better drivers too.

Yeah. France was pretty ballin.' I'd love it if we'd take a page or two out of their transportation book.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Mandalay posted:

You can't just plop down that kind of transit in suburban Los Angeles. Good transit and transit-oriented development are a bit of a positive feedback cycle.

Oh yes, I know. I've spent a great deal of time out West. Mostly Phoenix. Phoenix has similar transportation issues as L.A.

However, European models of transit, especially mass transit, would work great out here (northeast).

But yeah... with L.A. we really should never have let it get that bad! :eng99:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

nm posted:

As a fellow government employee getting the boot (today), I can say good luck.
If I find any traffic stuff posted when I'm looking for a job, I'll post it up.

I think Caltrans is hiring.

I'll be joining you all next week, probably! :v:

Sorry about your job, Cichlidae. With your knowledge and training, though, I'm sure you'll get a new job swiftly. Europe sounds like a good idea too...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

We started getting our layoff notices at work today. That was depressing. :smith::hf::smith:

Whenever I drive by the Capitol and Trinity intersection, I think of the fix you posted for it. I wish they could put it in. That thing is such a pain.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

As a counterpoint (seriously, the situations described in those articles is horrible), I submit this article from the New York Times.

It's about how city planners in Europe are working to make cities as un-friendly to cars as possible.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I just realized this thread is two years old! Quite impressive. :D

Anyway, for some content. I was just thinking about transit. There's been a huge to-do about the Busway around here (personally I prefer trains but whatever), and it got me thinking. What's the Next Big Thing?

Back at the turn of the last century, trains were The Thing. There were trains everywhere. Then air travel and the car came along, and suddenly trains got shafted. Now it's the 21st century and I think we're coming full circle. Air travel and automobiles require one very important thing to remain viable: cheap oil.

That's not happening anymore. Take air travel for example. It's AWFUL. Every time I have to fly, I dread it. It's just not a pleasant experience all around and it's getting so freaking expensive.

At least with cars, there's a chance that electric and hydrogen vehicles will take off. I think we're starting to see a paradigm shift in that regard.

But for long distances? Planes are all we've got. We can't keep going on like this. I think air travel is hitting a brick wall. What do we do? Bring back Zeppelins? They were basically like flying trains... Sure they were slow, but they were comfortable.

Or, what about something a bit different? I was suddenly reminded the other day of a special I saw on Discovery back in... oh heck, it might have been 2003? 2004? Anyway, it was awesome. It was about building a transatlantic tunnel.

New York to Paris in an hour and a half?! poo poo man, 'dats fast.

The program focuses more on how expensive it would be and what an engineering nightmare it would be to actually build the thing. It doesn't mention probably the biggest stumbling block: can you imagine the conniption the airline and oil industries would have if we even thought of building such a thing? They'd throw a poo poo-fit! Such a thing has the potential to make airlines obsolete. Connect it with a high speed train network, and what do you need planes for anymore?

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. As an insider in the industry, Cichlidae, what do you think?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

bear shark posted:

So what plans/building codes do we have in the Northeast for earthquakes? :v:

A lot of building around here were built before seismic building standards. My office is one of them. It's basically solid stone. It didn't move very much at all, and there wasn't any noise associated with the 'quake. Didn't stop people from flipping the gently caress out though! :v:

I'm sure California folks will chime in here and tell us how silly we're being over a 6-or-so-pointer. (Wasn't even that strong here, CT, more like 4.)

VVV Well, poo poo. That makes me a bit more nervous! My buidling's pretty much solid brick and barely moved at all! :ohdear:

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 23, 2011

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

Imagine for a minute that you're a trucker.

You're crossing Wyoming in a 60,000 pound GVW tractor-trailer. On the back side of a pass, you are overcome with terror as you realize your brakes don't work. Before you know it, the needle has maxed out somewhere over 80 mph, and you're hurtling down toward sudden disaster.

We've got your back.

The truck entered the ramp at an angle, but the design of the gates and narrowness of the chute kept it from jackknifing. The gates can be easily replaced, and we're ready for the next Benz with broken brakes.

:aaa: That's really amazing! It kind of reminds me of those catch-cables on aircraft carriers. Similar principle?

Is that the driver praying in the first pic? Dude's lucky to be alive, and lucky he didn't kill someone.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I thought of something to ask about!

Last week I was driving down Route 99, heading to the DMV in Wethersfield. This intersection tripped me up real bad:

https://local.google.com/maps?q=sil...2,9.46,,0,-9.12

See that yellow sign that says "yield to pedestrians?" Well, right below that, it says "Right Turn only," Now, there is a lane use sign, farther back, and the far right line is through/right, not right turn only. However, I couldn't see the lane use sign while I was stopped right at the stop bar, waiting for a green. I had this moment of panic, thinking I was in the right turn only lane, and I was blocking traffic. :ohdear: I actually ended up turning down that road, into the parking lot on the left, and turning right at the intersection to continue on.

So, who can I complain to about that sign? It's drat confusing! :mad:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

My vote for the capital is New Sanctum. It looks like it's in a good spot to be a trade hub, being right at the head of the Fukov River and on the coast too. Regardless of which city we pick, it should be on the river.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

OM NOM NOM!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

On the one hand: wow, how times have changed!

On the other: wow, how they haven't. :smith:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Would there be any way to get private businesses to kick in part of the cost of installing a left turn lane? I mean, even people not going to the business would benefit from having the turn lane, since it would mean they wouldn't have to wait behind some schmuck turning left on the one-lane road. (Super annoying!) Obviously the business benefits from it suddenly being easier to turn into.

Oh, and if there's more than one business using the driveway (like, a shopping center or something), then you could have a bunch of businesses kicking in for the cost!

Don't know if such a thing is even possible! Just a thought.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I saved a couple articles that made me think of this thread! Here they are:

quote:

Warning on use of highway funds-By Paul Hughes/Republican American

HARTFORD - A state commission is urging the legislature and Gov. Dannel P. Malloy to stop siphoning money from the Special Transportation Fund.

If current trends continue, the Public Transportation Commission warns, the state could run short of funding for major projects, including upgrading the interchange of Interstate 84 and Route 8 in Waterbury and replacing the I-84 viaduct in Hartford.

The commission is recommending that steps be taken to halt the diversion of transportation funding for other purposes in its 2014 report to the governor, the legislature and the Department of Transportation.

It is one of six recommendations in the panel's annual report.

The commission reported that $1.3 billion has been diverted from the transportation fund over the years. The current two-year budget transfers nearly $110 million to support other state spending.

The report said the transfers undermine public confidence.

The transportation fund is largely financed through fuel taxes, fees and other charges.

The commission said any effort to increase funding through motor vehicle taxes, fare increases, highway tolls or higher fees depends on the public trusting that this additional revenue will be used to support transportation projects.

"The repeated diversion of funds from the Special Transportation Fund violates this trust," the report said.

The commission said the panel is not yet ready to support calls from others to amend the state constitution to prevent additional diversions from the fund.

The report said the commission is encouraged that legislation passed last year states the resources of the fund shall be used for transportation purposes only.

However, it was not binding.

Governors and legislatures remain free to redirect revenues that otherwise might be deposited in the transportation fund.

At this time, the Malloy administration is estimating the transportation fund will end the current fiscal year on June 30 with a $173.1 fund balance. The fund was budgeted at $1.2 billion this year and $1.3 billion next year.

quote:

Transportation commission chides state for pilfering funds-Staff Reports/Hartford Business.com

The Connecticut Public Transportation Commission told Gov. Dannel P. Malloy and the legislature to not take any more funds away from transportation projects to pay for other state programming.

In its annual report, the commission said Connecticut needs to preserve the integrity of all money in the Special Transportation Fund. The fund, which is support by the gas tax and other user fees, was raided in the latest state budget to pay for expenditures in the state General Fund.

The commission said the STF is needed to keep the state's transportation infrastructure up to date, and that raiding the STF for General Fund purposes undermines the trust of those who pay gas tax, gross receipts tax, fares, and license and permit fees.
Link to full article

Yes, you read that right: my state has money set aside specifically for maintaining infrastructure and other such very important things... or at least it would, if there were anything preventing the government from raiding it to balance the budget! Meanwhile our bridges are crumbling, literally crumbling, our highways are clogged, and our public transit is laughable.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

My dad sent me this link this morning:

Solar Freakin' Roadways

Looks... pretty nifty, I guess! But I'm no traffic engineer. Would something like this really be feasible?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

So, here's some relevant news:

quote:

41 Percent Of Connecticut Roads Rated 'Poor'

By STEPHEN BUSEMEYER | The Hartford Courant

Citing a number of reports that paint a dreary picture of the nation's infrastructure, the Obama administration Monday unveiled a $300 billion plan to improve roads and bridges nationwide.

Connecticut was identified as having the worst roads in the nation -- 41 percent rated "poor," tied with Rhode Island -- according to an analysis by the American Society of Civil Engineers.

The report also pointed to the nation's deficient and obsolete bridges, saying the economic effects of the aging infrastructure are far-reaching.

The push is part of a plan Obama introduced in the spring to finance the Highway Trust Fund.

The full report is available here.
Link

Yay for both states I've lived in since moving back east? :v:

Ironically, my old home state, Arizona, looks pretty drat good by comparison. Of course, they don't have to deal with the whole freeze/frost cycles, at least in most of the state. The mountainous areas get plenty of snow, but they're not very populous.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

The future is now!

UK to allow driverless cars on public roads in January.

Sounds like cool stuff!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

Okay, so a road diet is turning a four-lane road into a three lane one.

In principle, three lanes are a good idea. As they say, there's less conflicts where collisions can happen and more room for cyclists. Fantastic.

However, the article doesn't say how the middle lane is managed. If there's clear markings or even better, barriers that show where what side can use the middle lane, it's a fantastic idea. Any left-turn lanes fit in there, and when there aren't left turns for a while it can be used for short stretches where people can pass slow-moving vehicles at each side.

Er, I'm confused about what you're saying here. The middle lane is a universal turn lane, not a travel lane. It gets left turning vehicles out of the lane of travel so they can take their sweet time turning left without clogging up traffic behind them.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Minenfeld! posted:

@Cichlidae: Did CTDOT ever consider creating some sort of x84 bypass of Hartford to let all the pass-through traffic not get mixed in with the commuting traffic?

There was, but even so, only about a quarter of the traffic on I-84 in Hartford passes through Hartford on the way to somewhere else. The rest of it either originates in or is destined for Hartford.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Didn't see this mentioned yet. The newest ASCE report is out!

The take-home message is we need to invest an additional $1.44T in our infrastructure by 2025 in order to avoid a $4T loss in GDP, $7T loss in business, and 2.5 million jobs.

And by 2040, we need to invest an additional $5.2T in infrastructure to avoid a $14.2T loss in GDP, $29.3T loss in business, and 5.9 million jobs.

Big numbers. Important numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oh hey, anyone who drives on Connecticut Route 9 through Middletown knows about Those Traffic Lights. For those who don't know, there are a set of traffic lights on a loving freeway through Middletown. Traffic backs up like whoa, every day, there are tons of accidents, but the city of Middletown has fought their removal for decades. "If traffic doesn't stop in Middletown, the city will die!" Or some poo poo like that.

Looks like our Governor is finally getting enough pull to do something about it!

Have a look!

The article mentions putting in a roundabout... uh... not sure that's the appropriate action in this case, but I am not a traffic engineer. I'd like to see a picture of what the area is going to look like, for sure. Either way I'm glad something is being done about it, because that stretch of Route 9 is a joke.