Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sorry to hear it and I wish you the best. From what I hear, extremely well-paying opportunities are still available in the Middle East for Project Engineers and Project Managers. If I was single and not tied down with a house mortgage I would jump on it. If you are interested, I can get some info from my Kuwaiti colleagues in the office.

Engineers here in Wisconsin are being pinched but surprisingly Milwaukee is still floating with opportunities. I have it relatively stable and barring a larger economic disaster will still be here for many years.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Haifisch posted:

Aw, that sucks. Traffic stuff is my guilty nerd pleasure, so I've been enjoying this thread for quite a while. :(

So those "press the button to have a voice tell you if it's safe to cross" things at Marquette are your fault. :mad: (they wouldn't be so bad if their signage didn't make them look like a "press the button to summon the pedestrian phase" thing. Damned out of towners and new students annoying everyone by pressing them & causing a barrage of WAIT. WAIT. WAIT. WALK SIGN IS ON. all the time. Maybe Cichlidae can come here and fix that. :v:)

I'm in Construction and not in Traffic and haven't heard of those. We have some new pedestrian flashers by City Hall but they don't have a voice. Unfortunately, the number of accidents that they have had with students at Marquette not paying attention to walk signals and zooming cars must have required something more drastic!

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Knockknees posted:

Why in English? I mean, I get that it might be hard to fit "Arretez-vous" in the same space but...?

I believe it is newer rules for uniformity throughout the EU.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

grover posted:

I don't think this thread is really an appropriate place to discuss the social-political merits of pedestrian vs car culture (or the specific incident mentioned in Vanagoon's articles- check out the gassed GBS thread for that), but it is an interesting point about engineering roads to accommodate cars, bicycles and pedestrians.

What is the relative ease of adding sidewalks to a road when it's constructed? Is it relatively cheap to do since all the equipment is there and workers in-place, or does it still cost millions of dollars per mile? How much does a protected crosswalk cost?

For any construction project there are mobilization costs involved. Sometimes that is a separate bid item, other times that is included in existing bid items. Once the contractor is mobilized with equipment, workers, traffic control, erosion control, etc, then it is cheaper to add sidewalk than do it under a separate contract.

In general you want to separate the public walk from the roadway instead of adding it to the back of the curb. Where we can we add a several foot grass area where trees, signs, streetlights, hydrants and the like are located. In a more urban environment we place a full walk to the back of curb but still need to make it wide enough to accommodate the appurtenances without interfering with pedestrians.

The incident in Georgia highlights the need for a pedestrian crossing at the intersection adjacent to the accident scene. At a minimum, it would require zebra striping and advanced warning signs which is inexpensive and could be done for about $1,000. Flashing signals could be added to improve visibility but in her case those probably would not have helped against a drunk driver. If, by protected you mean a traffic signal, it may not be warranted even with that one incident. You generally need a history of incidents to require a traffic signal although politics can play a part in getting a signal placed when there is no major need.

Nevertheless, when an incident like that happens, the city is opened up to all sorts of liability. Even with her conviction she could sue the city for failure to provide a safe crossing and probably win a very good settlement.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 26, 2011

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

WHY DOES THAT EXIST???

I think it is related to the school crossing sign and may be a school bus loading area. Typically the signs are placed before the crossing here in the US but maybe Canada is different in that respect??

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
This website does a great job explaining the history of the GLT and really tells the Why's. The French have really been at the forefront of technology. In Milwaukee, we researched the possibility of using them and benefits included flawless automated docking at stops for immediate handicapped access. Current buses must stop and lift out a hydraulic ramp which takes several minutes and eats into the schedule.

GLT's can easily be tied into a signal pre-emption system probably more easily than a standard bus because it is physically tied into an ITS.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Quiet Pavement (obviously funded by the Asphalt Pavement Alliance but it is true.)

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cichlidae posted:

These trash cans cost several thousand dollars each. I'm not sure why they're filled up with water; you'd figure someone would be cleaning them.

I'm guessing those aren't trash cans but planters minus the pots which have probably been removed for the winter.

Here's a pathetic case of blogger trying to play traffic engineer from urbanmilwaukee.com. I don't know where to start critiquing him...

quote:

Last week, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) gave a presentation regarding the possibility of adding a bike trail on the Hoan Bridge. The DOT laid out five potential alternatives, that covered a wide range of costs, and potential impacts such as traffic congestion.

The cheapest option, the $9.4 million version known as Alternative 1A, was clearly the concept on the minds of supporters, because it was the most affordable and realistic of the designs. But the WisDOT report gave this option a ‘level of service’ rating (LOS) of F, likely ruling it out as a viable option in the eyes of WisDOT. When WisDOT talks ‘level of service’ they are determining the level of traffic congestion, which is measured by the density of traffic and traffic flow, or speed. I’m not a traffic engineer, but this ‘level of service’ determination by WisDOT seemed to come to an odd conclusion, and was made using flawed, and even conflicting, assumptions.

In this case, the level of service F grade, as a result of the trail’s construction and lane removal, is predicted to occur in 25 years, for one hour a day, and will result in traffic speeds dropping. According to the report, today normal traffic operation on the bridge is actually speeding. In 25 years? For one hour a day, speeds are projected to drop to 47 mph on the bridge segment while still allowing speeds of up to 54 mph on the ramps. In fact, the two-lane design will still allow for people to speed across the entire bridge during the vast majority of the day, and on the ramps during rush hour. Certainly designing any road for speeding should get an F rating, but that’s not the argument here, as WisDOT rates this an F because they assume a free flowing traffic speed of 60 MPH. Their assumption is that driving 10 mph over the speed limit is the ideal operational state for the bridge. No doubt an odd conclusion. The F grade indicates impending carmageddon, but in reality is merely a projection that people will have to drive near the speed limit for one hour a day.

It also appears the projections are based on flawed assumptions. In their report, WisDOT makes the assumption, not an actual measurement, that “From this set of historic traffic pattern data it can be concluded that the current weekday traffic volume on the Hoan Bridge, without the current maintenance lane closure impact on traffic, is 48,200 vpd (vehicles per day).” Essentially, WisDOT is estimating that 12% (6,400 vpd) of the traffic on the Hoan Bridge is currently being diverted to other roads due to lane closures for construction. While this assumption seems somewhat out of line when compared to recent traffic counts (for example 2010 where the count was 42,900 vpd), this isn’t the only issue with this assumption. The report makes another assumption, contrary to this one.

“The capacity analysis does not assume any traffic diversion to other routes that could result from a permanent capacity constrained 2-lane condition to accommodate a shared-use path on the Hoan Bridge.” In other words, when predicting the future congestion levels for design 1A, WisDOT makes the projections based on the three lanes of travel, and ignores the likely possibility of permanent traffic diversion due to a permanent lane reduction (that the 12% they estimate is diverted currently would stay diverted). The idea that traffic will divert for construction, but not for a permanent lane reduction is questionable, if not contradictory, and calls into question all of the future traffic projections.

Remember that just a few years ago, WisDOT released a document considering replacing the Hoan Bridge with surface level bridges.
Our hope is that WisDOT re-evaluates the traffic projections based on actual traffic counts, and proceeds with Alternative 1A.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 2, 2011

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

GWBBQ posted:

They're definitely trash cans, Stamford has them all over downtown. Here's one with trash visible in it http://g.co/maps/76q8f

The dead giveaway is the platform without a trash hole, the height and the fact that there are three adjacent units. It would be a major screw-up to have three trash cans placed like that even outside of a stadium exit.

Metal Planters

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Chaos Motor posted:

1. Who's going to enforce it?
2. Who's going to pay for it?

Sorry to dig this up from a few days ago but back in the day, both the triple-A and insurance companies used to fund many more driver education and enforcement programs. Enforcement is always the more expensive option than education. The ideal method is to have intense minimum education as a requirement for licensure nationwide. It wouldn't hurt to have requirements for retesting either after certain number of accidents or after certain number of years. The results would be very noticeable.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
That is a clusterfuck. I wonder how some of that land between the on-ramp and the expressways was ever sold. The state should have bought it when it was building the interstate and held onto it before anything was ever built there.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
If anyone is going to be at the Midwestern ITE conference later this week in Milwaukee, let me know. I will be attending many of the presentations to get the rest of my pdh's.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

anivasion posted:

Seems like the best place for this but maybe it depends on the state.

There is an intersection near my work that has two lanes exiting an off ramp and they turn to the left through a light controlled intersection. The roadway they turn into has 3 lanes. Through the turn lane, there is a single segmented line in between the two lanes that separates the left lane from the right and maintains the turn/curve and where it places the cars in the left exit ramp lane in the middle of the 3 lanes and places ones in the right exit ramp lane on the farthest right of the 3 lanes of traffic. This leaves the farthest left lane of the 3 lanes of traffic as one that does (should?) not have traffic feeding directly into it off the ramp.

Indiana law would seem to say that you maintain your lane after a turn so traffic exiting the ramp would place the left most ramp traffic in the left most of the 3 lanes and the traffic in the right ramp exit lane in the *middle* of the 3 lanes. But with the line drawn in the intersection, it seems to divide the lanes and to me, is trying to control the cars to go into the Middle and Right lanes out of the 3. Well, I see people almost collide here all of the time and if I try to stay to the left of the segmented line, I will nearly always get crowded over by someone to the right of me crossing that line and to me, they are changing lanes in the turn and trying to occupy the lane I am currently driving in.

Did someone make a mistake when designing this intersection with the lines the way they are or am I surrounded by assholes who 8 times out of 10 will cross this dotted line because they think they should have access to the middle lane even if it means they crossed the line to do it?

The designers did the best they could to clarify where cars should go but as usual, dumb drivers will do whatever the hell they like. Typically cars will attempt to make a straight line out of that nice curve even when it means they have to take a sudden jerk of the steering wheel at the the PT to avoid nosing into the car next to them. If you are that car next to them, even if you are doing things right you may want to assume that they are going to do the stupid thing and learn to give them extra room so they don't hit you. Either get ahead of them or stay half a length behind them. A dashed line always means lane changing is allowed although a smart driver would signal and wouldn't do it on a tight curve. I don't believe there is any law in any state that prevents that unless the line is solid. On tight curves on an interstate highway, the lane lines will turn solid to indicate that changing lanes there is prohibited because it is a stupid and dangerous idea.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Devor posted:

When this is done, the purpose is usually to discourage use of that road by non-local traffic. Particularly if it's a residential area.

Unfortunately if a driver is not expecting it, it will turn into a dangerous situation. It is a crappy way to solve the problem of non-local traffic.

It is always important to maintain consistency in traffic direction. We have a bunch of downtown streets that had been one-way since the 50's. The city has been in the process of conversion but there are some sections that remain one-way because (politics) or because buildings were constructed to adapt to the one-way design. People from out of town notoriously get confused and people who haven't been here since the change end up driving the wrong way on the wrong side. Granted, streets that have been one-way forever and remain that way will have drivers making left turns from the right-hand lane thinking it is two-way and end up cutting off the car in the left-hand lane.

Commuters generally use the same routes as before the conversion so those roads in turn become more congested. It is always preferable to have consistent thoroughfares that handle the majority of the traffic during rush hours and one-ways do that more effectively in a normal sized ROW.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

If Agenda 21 was real and a UN dictatorship took over north america they'd have a hard time fixing our cities. It would require decades and a lot of upheaval and rebuilding. Without a UN dictatorship? I think what we'll see more and more are a few US cities that "get it" building on that success and becoming more and more desirable with higher and higher prices while other cities continue to sprawl and suffer the consequences. The US's car dependency will further widen the gap between rich and poor, have and have not cities and regions. We'll see more Detroits and Atlanta's where the poor can't afford to drive but no other options exist to get around, but also more Seattles and San Fransisco's. Walkable transit friendly cities will become more and more attractive, attracting the high income jobs and workers, further boosting the city's budgets to grow on that success. Meanwhile car-dependent cities will see their tax bases continue to be stretched thin while infrastructure costs grow and grow. Either way it's going to be increasingly lovely for the working poor. Live in a walkable transit friendly area? You'll get gentrified further and further out. Live in a car-centric hellhole? Hope you can afford your car payments, insurance, and gas on your part time minimum wage job.

Most cities have a CBD that remains intact from the 19th & early 20th century when they relied on mass transit or pedestrian traffic. These would not be hard to reconfigure back to the way they were. Outlying suburban areas are another story but the first act of a dictatorship would be to level these areas and send those conservative inhabitants to the gulag. Following the Soviet path in the 1950s, those dead-end subdivisions would be replaced with large apartment blocks with high density.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cichlidae posted:

EDIT: Just got back from the bicycle conference, and it was cool. I learned a lot. For example, do you know how much it's going to cost to build a 37-mile bike trail in 100% state right-of-way alongside the Merritt Parkway?

$2.5E8. Yes, that's 250 million dollars.

That's assuming it ever gets past the NIMBY issues.

Is that paving with gold or silver? What is the big ticket bid item for that type of project? I assume bridges because they still need to be rated for maintenance vehicles.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

Stories please, I love public feedback stories. God drat the public is amazing.

I got a call last year about a paving project where the resident was complaining, "All they are doing is moving rocks around." That had me thinking for awhile on how to respond in a way that didn't sound too condescending.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Here's a better picture of the massive shear wall.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

I had a disagreement over this.

Both drivers wish to make conflicting left turns. The green car arrived first.

Arriving first has nothing to do with it. A stop sign means to stop until the intersection is clear to make a movement. It means "to yield" but with the additional command of "come to a complete stop." Whatever movement the stopped car makes they still have to yield the right of way to other vehicles that have the right of way. Unless the other left turning vehicle has to stop prior to making the left turn in which case the green car would have the right of way. The only circumstance where the green car would have the right of way is if it is already making the left turn when the pink car is approaching.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Carbon dioxide posted:

Note that a stop sign as a yield sign + extra condition seems to be a mostly European thing. In Europe, if you see a stop sign you know the other road has full priority and you have to wait until there's no more cars approaching on it. On the other hand, America has these four-way stop sign intersections where no specific road has priority and everyone has to stop, and the vehicle that arrived first gets to go first. The stop sign actually has a subtly different meaning in different parts of the world.

I'm speaking from an American perspective so can't say what the rules are in the EU. This is what I learned in Driver's Ed back in the day - maybe it's different for you younger kids? A four way stop is a little different but that isn't the case here. Even with a four way stop, the first person out of the gate, so to speak, is the one that has the right of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Alkydere posted:

Their population means they can throw an absolutely absurd amount of workers at a project. It likely helped that all the rail beds were already there so they could basically take the old stuff up/plop the new stuff down with minimal hassle.

Still the amount of prep work needed to make such a feat possible, making sure everything is in the right place at the right time, is mind-boggling.

I think it would be an interesting challenge to be a Project Manager on any of their projects. Resources don't seem to be as big of an issue as in the West. Quality control is another story.