Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LinuxGirl87
Feb 13, 2006

by Ozmaugh
I've worn glasses for years and I'm pretty profoundly nearsighted (something like 20/200 uncorrected, although it corrects to something near 20/20). I tried to try contacts but I can't get used to touching my eyes. So, logically, the best thing to do is have lasers shot at them, right? :v:

My questions:
  • Has anyone here had laser eye surgery done?
  • Do they see as well as they did with glasses?
  • Does it hurt (before/during/after)?
  • I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?
  • Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)
  • Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?
  • Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?

Mods, if this belongs in The Goon Doctor (or anywhere else for that matter) just let me know and I'll lock it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T6
May 9, 2007
I persevere despite sucking.
Yes
Better
For about four hours after the procedure
For the first two months or so it's a little harder to drive at night
No, Easier
In a heartbeat
No

Edit: My vision was far worse than yours, btw

T6 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 1, 2009

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.
Would also be interested to hear if people responding to this had astigmatism, and if they'd like to divulge what it cost them and any guarantees they got with it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I'm stashing away cash so I can get the surgery when I'm 25. I figure the best way to maximize the benefit is to get it done early as possible.

$5k towards my vision for the rest of the my life is better spent than on a new car.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Aluminum Record posted:

Would also be interested to hear if people responding to this had astigmatism, and if they'd like to divulge what it cost them and any guarantees they got with it.

While not LASIK, I did get PRK and use to have bad astigmatism. Both my eyes were corrected to 20/20 without complications. The surgery itself didn't hurt, though the eye speculum thing can get uncomfortable. I would say I didn't suffer too much pain either, after the surgery. Maybe I got lucky, since I always hear about people who say they had 2 awful weeks of pain after PRK.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Chad Sexington posted:

I'm stashing away cash so I can get the surgery when I'm 25. I figure the best way to maximize the benefit is to get it done early as possible.

$5k towards my vision for the rest of the my life is better spent than on a new car.

My brother had it done probably 10-11 years ago now, it was way less than 5k. Even now I see ads for places that do it for like 6-700$ per eye, which is cheaper than when he had it done.
Also, I believe you are only supposed (allowed?) to do it if your prescription hasn't changed in 10 years or so. THough maybe in extreme cases, like imminent blindness they will do it for you.

My prescription has only changed slightly in the last 9 or so years, but I'm so used to wearing glasses, I'm not in any hurry. Also, I'd like to see the long-long term effects of this, incase the aforementioned eyes falling out starts happening.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

scapulataf posted:

My brother had it done probably 10-11 years ago now, it was way less than 5k. Even now I see ads for places that do it for like 6-700$ per eye, which is cheaper than when he had it done.
Also, I believe you are only supposed (allowed?) to do it if your prescription hasn't changed in 10 years or so. THough maybe in extreme cases, like imminent blindness they will do it for you.

My prescription has only changed slightly in the last 9 or so years, but I'm so used to wearing glasses, I'm not in any hurry. Also, I'd like to see the long-long term effects of this, incase the aforementioned eyes falling out starts happening.

Not true. As long as you're about 21, then your eyes stop changing as much. They'll do a few checkups, but nowhere near 10 years.

Gentle Glide
Nov 12, 2007

boldly going places you like to think don't exist
Not trying to thread hijack however i had a question about LASIK while everyone is here :D

I am 20 years old an an active duty member of the USMC. I know they have a list of people set to receive the surgery for free you just have to qualify and wait your turn, thats not my question though.

Am i a candidate?
20 Year old Male
both eyes are nearsighted 20/450 with astigmatism
corrected to 20/20
Have been wearing classes and contacts since i was 10 years old.

Does anyone see anything there that would DISQUALIFY me right away?

Porphyra
Aug 3, 2007
Has anyone here had laser eye surgery done?
I had LASIK done on my eyes about 3 years ago.

Do they see as well as they did with glasses?
I actually see a little worse than with my glasses. With glasses I was 20/15. Now, I'm only 20/20. However, I was close to legally blind without my glasses on because of really bad astigmatism (and it turns out the surface of my cornea wasn't smooth and even like it was supposed to be).

Does it hurt (before/during/after)?
My eyes never hurt, per se. I did have to deal with eye dryness for about 6-8 months afterwards. I just kept a bottle of the saline eye drops in my purse and used it whenever I felt the need.

I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?
This hasn't affected my night driving, but I've been told some people have halos. The pupil opens up to let more light in the eye at night/in the dark. However, if the part of the cornea that was fixed is smaller than the maximum opening of your pupil, you can have this halo effect.

Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)
My computer use is greater now than before I had LASIK, and I don't notice any problems. But I could be an exception.

Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?
Hell yes. Not having to worry about glasses after nearly 20 years with them is awesome.

Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?
You do have to be careful about your eyes for the first couple years after repair, especially the first year. Since your corneas are being cut, and there's no direct blood supply to your cornea, they take a long time to heal. There have been times when people have had stuff hit their eye or rub their eye too hard and pop off the top of the cornea where it was cut. My optomotrist had someone get hit in the eye with a rubber duck and the flap of the cornea repair came off--guy needed a corneal transplant to fix it.
The opthomologist who actually did the surgery gave me these goggles to wear while sleeping so I wouldn't accidentally bump or rub my eyes in my sleep. I had to wear those for a couple weeks.

All in all, I would highly recommend you do your homework on your LASIK providers. I asked my optomotrist for the doctors she would recommend, and none of them were the ones that highly advertised themselves everywhere. Plus, the actual doctor who did my surgery had done about 10,000 eyes before me--so I was really comfortable with him working on *my* eyes. Additionally, though it cost a bit more (almost $10k), the doctor who did my LASIK will do further work or repair for free if I keep up with all my required follow-ups (which I have). I'm not even 30 yet, so the prospect of needing further repair is definitely there.

For Gentle Glide, most docs that do LASIK usually require that your eyesight have stabilized for a couple years (somewhere between 3-5, depending on the provider). Basically, don't want to put you through surgery now, only to have you need glasses next year because your eyes are still changing.

Camulos
Mar 15, 2009

We'll have to outwit the fiend with our superior intelligence.
Do they give you anything to deal with them shooting your eyeballs with lasers? The idea of someone touching and being that close to my eyes makes me incredibly uncomfortable but I've heard they give you drugs that make you not care, anyone have experience with them?

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Gentle Glide posted:

Not trying to thread hijack however i had a question about LASIK while everyone is here :D

I am 20 years old an an active duty member of the USMC. I know they have a list of people set to receive the surgery for free you just have to qualify and wait your turn, thats not my question though.

Am i a candidate?
20 Year old Male
corrected to 20/20

I'm about to have surgery through the military so I've been through all the briefings and counseling recently.

The astigmatism might disqualify you but you won't know until they scan your eyes.

Due to your age the doctor might suggest you wait a bit longer if your prescription is still changing.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Camulos posted:

Do they give you anything to deal with them shooting your eyeballs with lasers? The idea of someone touching and being that close to my eyes makes me incredibly uncomfortable but I've heard they give you drugs that make you not care, anyone have experience with them?
Different drugs for different surgeries. PRK is Vicodin and Lasik is Valium typically.

Deicide
Mar 22, 2004
Oh. How quaint.

Gentle Glide posted:

Am i a candidate?
20 Year old Male
corrected to 20/20

Nothing here disqualifies you out of hand. You need to see a doctor still, because there are factors that can disqualify a candidate that will not be readily apparent.

Camulos posted:

Yeah they can give you valium if you're going to freak out and try to move your eyeballs or anything, but you don't need it if you have enough willpower to stare at a blinking light for 5 minutes.

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

Different drugs for different surgeries. PRK is Vicodin and Lasik is Valium typically.

I got Valium for my PRK, and I was giggly as hell during the procedure. They gave me Lyrica for the post-op pain. I really didn't think the pain was bad at all.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Deicide posted:

Nothing here disqualifies you out of hand. You need to see a doctor still, because there are factors that can disqualify a candidate that will not be readily apparent.

Yeah they can give you valium if you're going to freak out and try to move your eyeballs or anything, but you don't need it if you have enough willpower to stare at a blinking light for 5 minutes.

They gave me valium, but not enough for anything, I was completely lucid. I was fine in the willpower department, but it was defiantly the most terrifying thing that's happened to me. They cut my loving eye and pealed it apart!

Deicide
Mar 22, 2004
Oh. How quaint.

Pardot posted:

They gave me valium, but not enough for anything, I was completely lucid. I was fine in the willpower department, but it was defiantly the most terrifying thing that's happened to me. They cut my loving eye and pealed it apart!

You need to be lucid, because you need to do things, like look at a goddamn light. Yeha they cut your eye open, but afterwards you could see, and I mean before that they werent much good anyway so no great loss eh?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Deicide posted:

You need to be lucid, because you need to do things, like look at a goddamn light. Yeha they cut your eye open, but afterwards you could see, and I mean before that they werent much good anyway so no great loss eh?

Oh yeah, they're fantastic now. I'm glad I did it. But for a few weeks afterwards whenever I'd think about it'd, I'd shudder. Maybe I'm just a pussy, but it was scary.

eyeshitinyourserial
Aug 23, 2008

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?
No.
It's an uptight, bigoted twat.

There is an alternative recently approved by the FDA that is coming into favor but is not as widespread as LASIK.

The alternative is implantable contact lenses. They are apparently much safer then lasik since you're not doing an abraision, tissue removal/shaping of the cornea. Instead you're just opening up the cornea and implanting a corrective lense.

There are virutally no side effects, unlike some of the night time vision glare problems with lasik and if your eyes ever change enough that you need a different lens the old one can be removed and a new one installed. Lasik on the other hand is a one-time shot and if its not done just right you're hosed.

If I ever get corrective eye surgery it would be the implantable lenses because the initial risks (opening up the cornea) are the same as lasik without having to worry about, "Gee I hope they grind my cornea right and don't gently caress this up".

Red54
Dec 4, 2008
# Has anyone here had laser eye surgery done?
I had this done about a month ago.
# Do they see as well as they did with glasses?
I can see better than when i had glasses.
# Does it hurt (before/during/after)?
Not hurt but for the hours after the operation your eyes will water alot and you will be light sensitive (I couldn't keep mine open for long). Just go home and sleep and it goes away.
# I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?
Not for me but I was told it can by my Surgeon.
# Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)
Not that I noticed, you'll need tear drops for a while afterwards anyway.
# Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?
Yes
# Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?
They'll give you a disclaimer listing everything that can go wrong (including ruining your vision) but complications are very rare.

I also had an astigmatism that would have diquailfied me years ago but not now, they need to scan your eyes to tell.
I don't know where you live but most places where I am offer a free consultation with no strings attached. I paid around €2500 some of which I can get back.

federal_hax_bracket
Aug 29, 2008

Aluminum Record posted:

I had astigmatism, got PRK done in Canada cause it wasn't approved in the states. It was like $1K per eye 7 years ago, best 2K I ever spent as i still see 20/20 and don't have contacts drying up and falling out 8x per day.

Supposedly PRK pain is supposed to be worse than LASIK, but I didn't find it that bad. The first day is kind of like getting grapefruit juice in your eye. After that, it's kind of like having an eyelash stuck in your eye for a week. Basically, if you respond well to vicodin, you'll probably be like 'ah this mildly sucks but I don't even care'.

I think the guarantee was like free tune ups to 20/20 for life or something. Don't quote me on that, I can't find the paperwork in this desk. Obviously, no one can guarantee 100.0000% that they won't slip and blind you in a freak accident, or whatever. Just do your homework make sure the place has a record of high experience / low complication rate etc.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

federal_hax_bracket posted:

I had astigmatism, got PRK done in Canada cause it wasn't approved in the states. It was like $1K per eye 7 years ago, best 2K I ever spent as i still see 20/20 and don't have contacts drying up and falling out 8x per day.

Supposedly PRK pain is supposed to be worse than LASIK, but I didn't find it that bad. The first day is kind of like getting grapefruit juice in your eye. After that, it's kind of like having an eyelash stuck in your eye for a week. Basically, if you respond well to vicodin, you'll probably be like 'ah this mildly sucks but I don't even care'.

I think the guarantee was like free tune ups to 20/20 for life or something. Don't quote me on that, I can't find the paperwork in this desk. Obviously, no one can guarantee 100.0000% that they won't slip and blind you in a freak accident, or whatever. Just do your homework make sure the place has a record of high experience / low complication rate etc.

Hey PRK buddy! I had PRK done last September. Pain was low, but the pills and my love of drinking helped. My vision was 20/15 after week 4 when my epithelium layer was rocking it proper. Cost $4790 though, but it was worth it for 20/15!

To OP: Get it done! Laser eye surgery is amazing, world wide total surgery's just got over 10,000,000 this year so says my doc.

To people scared of cornea flaps, ask about PRK! No flap, just a tooth brush to your eye to remove the gooey protective layer then the doc blasts you good.

eyeshitinyourserial
Aug 23, 2008

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?
No.
It's an uptight, bigoted twat.

NuckmasterJ posted:

Hey PRK buddy! I had PRK done last September. Pain was low, but the pills and my love of drinking helped. My vision was 20/15 after week 4 when my epithelium layer was rocking it proper. Cost $4790 though, but it was worth it for 20/15!

To OP: Get it done! Laser eye surgery is amazing, world wide total surgery's just got over 10,000,000 this year so says my doc.

To people scared of cornea flaps, ask about PRK! No flap, just a tooth brush to your eye to remove the gooey protective layer then the doc blasts you good.
I've hear PRK is supposed to be a "safer" alternative to lasik. However, I still don't want to risk complications with having the cornea abraded/ablated to correct my vision.

The techniques for IOL (inter-ocular lenses) have been around since the 1950s and gained widespread use in begining in the 1970s when materials and surgical techniques advanced to the point to make the surgery trivial. IOLs replacement lenses for people with cataracts, where the actual lense of the eye is replaced. My grandmother just had this done about 6 months ago. The surgery for ICLs (implantable contact lenses) is similar to the techniques developed for IOLs and with ICLs doesn't involve creating a cornea flap, only a small incision.

Fun fact about the natural lenses in your eyes:
As you age they begin to yellow. Once they yellow significantly they alter your perception of colors, which is why you often see older people wearing clothing with colors that clash horribly. They don't know it looks bad because the yellowing of the lens makes the color combinations look good to them.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007
- Has anyone here had laser eye surgery done?

I had mine done May 30th of this year and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. I'm a 20 year old female too, so don't let anyone but the doctor tell you you're too young.

- Do they see as well as they did with glasses?

My vision actually got corrected to 20/13 or 13/20, I always forget what order the numbers go in. Basically, it means that at 20 feet, I see the same detail as someone with normal vision sees at 13. Forgive me if my math is wrong, but I think that means I see 165% better than normal people, to put it into perspective.

- Does it hurt (before/during/after)?

The first two hours after were the worst, there was a lot of 'omg but what if this is it.. what if it doesn't get better?' and some other hysterics, but only because I'm a big baby that doesn't deal with uncertainty well. Then I took a quick nap and woke up with crystal clear vision.

- I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?

My night vision was definitely affected, but the more I use it the better it gets, or the more used to it I get. At first I was like 'holy gently caress, I'm blind at night', but slowly I'm adjusting and realize that I can still see well enough to do everything I did before, my night vision is just does not have the same detail as my day vision. Still 110% worth getting the surgery though.

- Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)

Yes, I had a big problem with computers for a month or so after, but it slowly improves to the point where I can spend 8+ hours on a computer without problems. I was back working 8hr days behind a computer less than a week later, it sucked but I worked in a call center type environment and we weren't that busy, so between calls I would make a point to not look at my screen, and either talk to people around me and focus on them or read a book. This would help, but by the end of my shift I would be too worn out to use my computer at home, and my eyes would be sore.

- Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?

Absolutely.

- Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?

I went with the bladed procedure, and the whole time it was being done all I could think was 'poo poo poo poo poo poo should have sprung for bladeless', but once the whole thing was over, I was glad I didn't waste the other $1000. The only time I have to use eyedrops now is first thing in the morning, and I'm pretty sure that's only because my room is incredibly dry, I went camping for a week and forgot them and had no problems at all. I had some halos at first, but now I don't see them unless my pupils are unnaturally large.

It's been three months and there are days I don't even remember I had the surgery. My vision is amazing, I'm still amazed every time I go outside by the fine details I can see on trees, buildings, animals and other scenery. I can definitely see colors brighter, everything is just sharper and more saturated, I feel like I'm living in some kind of ridiculous hi-def movie sometimes, and it's awesome.

My other tip, contrary to what they will tell you at the office, is sometimes to lay off the eyedrops. The ones they give you for lubrication after are actually quite gummy and sticky. I find I was putting them in and not giving them enough time to clear before putting more in, thinking it would help. I decided to tough it out for a couple hours and everything was much better. I'm not saying don't lubricated, I'm just saying if you do it too often it can actually impair your vision somewhat. I'd say wait a least a half hour between lubrications. Obviously this is after you're done all the medicated drops and you're into 'lubricate when necessary' territory.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
you can be too blind for LASIK. I went in two years ago and they determined that my cornea would become unstable if they cut it enough to give me 20/20. I wear a -.7.5 and a -8.0 contact lense, my vision is something like 20/400 but I cant remember the exact number.

So if you're blind as gently caress, you might still be out of luck. Its very disappointing, I feel like people with terrible vision would have most improvement in their quality of life after surgery.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007

rino86 posted:

you can be too blind for LASIK. I went in two years ago and they determined that my cornea would become unstable if they cut it enough to give me 20/20. I wear a -.7.5 and a -8.0 contact lense, my vision is something like 20/400 but I cant remember the exact number.

So if you're blind as gently caress, you might still be out of luck. Its very disappointing, I feel like people with terrible vision would have most improvement in their quality of life after surgery.

I think it has more to do with the thickness of your cornea than your actual vision. If you have thin corneas and weak prescription, you're not going to be able to get corrected, same as if you have a high prescription and weak corneas. I could be wrong though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Aluminum Record posted:

Astigmatism here. I had LASIK done 6 months ago and paid $3300 (US). They made no guarantees but offered free enhancement within the first year. I haven't needed any.

The procedure itself isn't painful, it just feels "weird." It was pretty awesome though when I stood up from the table, they walked me over to an exam room, and I was able to read the 20/40 line off the eye chart right then and there.

Once I was home and the numbing drops wore off I felt a little bit of burning feeling, like if I had been sauteing some onions and got the smoke in my eyes. I took a tylenol and a 3 hour nap and I felt just fine afterward.

As far as dryness and night vision goes: I had to hit the drops for dryness 3-4x a day at first, but I rarely use them now. I was seeing some minor halos around lights at night, but it's gone down significantly now. The night of the surgery day I saw HUGE halos and freaked out thinking that would be permanent, but that resolved within a few days.

Miasma
Jul 26, 2005

straight up dawg.

Doctor Optimal posted:

My questions:
    Yes, at age 21
    Slightly better during the day. I don't notice a difference at night, but a lot of people do. Maybe I just don't realize it?
    No/There is some discomfort, but not pain/No (though your eyes may get very dry for a week or so which can be uncomfortable
    They say you see "stars". You see these before surgery, but they are slightly exaggerated. I didn't notice a difference.
  • Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)
    I haven't noticed anything. I had no problems with contacts though.
    Yes, in a second.
  • Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?
    Nope. I had a great experience. Make sure you do your research on the doc. It is probably better to spend a bit more for a good doctor than go cheap. You keep those eyes for the rest of your life (hopefully)

Mods, if this belongs in The Goon Doctor (or anywhere else for that matter) just let me know and I'll lock it.

Deicide
Mar 22, 2004
Oh. How quaint.

eyeshitinyourserial posted:

There is an alternative recently approved by the FDA that is coming into favor but is not as widespread as LASIK.

There are virutally no side effects, unlike some of the night time vision glare problems with lasik and if your eyes ever change enough that you need a different lens the old one can be removed and a new one installed. Lasik on the other hand is a one-time shot and if its not done just right you're hosed.

A few things with this:
1) LASIK is safe as gently caress. Honestly. People make a big to-do about the corneal flap and oh god what if my eye pops open and occurences like that are so rare they're about negligible. Really anything other than dry-eye is so rare its about negligible.
2) LASIK has changed a lot since it first became approved. Techniques and procedures have been refined and improved upon to reduce some of the side-effects/enhance some of the results. Technology like CustomVue and WaveScan have pretty much eliminated the night-time glare/halo thing, as well as consistently improved correction.
3) LASIK is not a "one-time shot and if its not done right you're hosed." LASIK can be performed multiple times on an eye to correct or enhance the original procedure. Any place worth its salt should do this for free if you had the surgery from them.

Implantable collagen lenses are good for people with exceptionally high myopia, as they can sometimes correct to stronger prescriptions than LASIK is able to. Other alternatives to LASIK are PRK (as discussed, a precursor to LASIK, still widely used) LASEK (similar to PRK, melt your epithelium instead of making a flap) and EPI-LASIK (newest, makes a flap out of only the epithelium, not the cornea).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

I'm about to have surgery through the military so I've been through all the briefings and counseling recently.

Does the military use its own laser eye surgeons, or does it farm patients out to civilians? Google mostly turned up stuff about people having it done outside of the military healthcare system.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

psydude posted:

Does the military use its own laser eye surgeons, or does it farm patients out to civilians? Google mostly turned up stuff about people having it done outside of the military healthcare system.

At least at Ft Hood they do it in house. The doctors all seem good. They also turn away a lot of people that are at risk for complications so as a whole they have a better success rate than most places. They'll even turn away people they notice rubbing their eyes a lot.

They do PRK (the only thing I qualify for), lasik, bladeless lasik, and the ICL. They'll typically suggest PRK for combat arms people because the flap is actually an issue despite how much normal people talk it down.

Keep in mind that on average 1 in 10 people who get some type of surgery have some sort of degraded vision after the surgery. This could range from permanent night vision loss or becoming farsighted instead of nearsighted, to total blindness.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Had it performed last October. I opted for wavefront LASIK, to the tune of $2k an eye after a fair insurance-related discount.

Slightly better on my best days. On crappy days, my right eye can be a tad bit blurry. This doesn't seem to affect me reading 20/15, but its slightly annoying. This was pretty much a constant thing for the first few months after the surgery, but has almost disappeared recently. Its more noticeable when I'm tired.

It actually hurt me before! I hit my head on part of one of the lasers. they don't make that contraption for people 6'4" or better, it seems.

The flap-cutting portion legitimately hurt for me. Quite a bit. I've discussed this with the docs afterward, and apparently its extremely uncommon, but possible even with the numbing eyedrops they use beforehand. They gave me stress-reliever squeezy things, and I squeezed the heck out of them. This is only when the flap is being cut, and only lasts like 30 seconds for each eye. Afterward, the pain stopped completely.

The corrective portion of the procedure caused no pain.

After, my eyes were scratchy feeling for the rest of that day. Initially I didn't want to open my eyes much at all. this improved quite a bit that evening. The next day I drove myself to the follow up exam at 8am without issue, and I spent the rest of the day brewing beer with a friend. Other than stopping to put drops in my eyes I was just fine.

It did for me for a few weeks. Now I see great at night.

Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)

I've had no computer use problems, and I'm a software developer who is in front of a computer pretty much when I'm awake. I chose to not wear contacts due to my computer use, but lasik gave me no issues with that.

Without question.

Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?

I had a bunch of blood vessels in my eyes break during the procedure. This really isn't a big deal except that it looked creepy as hell and took over a month to go away.

As for general advice:
USE THE DROPS AS DIRECTED. Be liberal with the moisturizing ones. Its worth having a good healing process.

Also stock up on a couple audiobooks to listen to after the surgery when you're trying to lay with your eyes closed/sleep. Buying one off iTunes when I didn't want to open my eyes for long periods of time wasn't fun.

sklnd fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 2, 2009

LizzardTooth
Sep 6, 2006
To respond to the original Op:

I had pretty severe short-sightedness and astigmatism. Both eyes.

To answer your questions in order:

Yes i did get lasik (ilasik the clinic called it). 3k per eye roughly in NZ$

I see better than i did with glasses. Its blurry right after but that cleared up in under a day.

The anaesthetic burns a bit and then you dont feel pain exactly. Its not a pleasant sensation but its not acutely painful. Depending on the surgery you may feel pressure. The oddest bit for me was watching the cornea getting brushed back into place after because i couldn't feel a blessed thing. You will be very sensitive to light straight after.

I can't say I noticed a difference in my night driving. Reduction in night vision was mentioned.

I work with a computer primarily all day everyday five days a week. Aside from residual dryness which the clinic will warn you about and provide drops for, its been fine. I used to get contacts drying out doing this which is why i primarily eventually stopped wearing them.

Hell Yes.

In response to your last question, there are some things. In high-order corrections you may need to get a follow up procedure in six months. Certain conditions can complicate the surgery. Ask the clinic, they will have this information. If they do not, find another clinic. Burst blood vessels happen.

Xenixx
Dec 1, 2007

by T. Mascis

Doctor Optimal posted:

I've worn glasses for years and I'm pretty profoundly nearsighted (something like 20/200 uncorrected, although it corrects to something near 20/20). I tried to try contacts but I can't get used to touching my eyes. So, logically, the best thing to do is have lasers shot at them, right? :v:

My questions:

yes its been a year and a half now after surgery
i dont notice a difference in my right eye
had some pain, eyes dried out in sleep, woke up, blinked, so loving painful
no idea, night vision the same
no same strain as before
yeah, it was free courtesy of the US Army
you're gonna smell your eyes being cooked in surgery, i was prepared for it but i can imagine some ppl may acquire nightmares :D

jibberjabber
Sep 11, 2001

Jesus Stole My Harddrive*
I had LASIK done on Friday July 31, And my right eye is still a little blurry but my left eye is fine. Did anyone have one blurry eye after LASIK and how long did it take to get better? I'm kind of worryed that my right eye will stay this.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

how much of a difference does bladeless LASIK and custom wavefront make overall? And since it's so automated right now just how much difference does the doctor make?

I'm not talking about someone doing it out of an alleyway vs. a highly acclaimed doctor. However given how much automation is involved in LASIK right now I'd imagine that you hit diminishing returns pretty rapidly once you get to a certain level of surgeon competency.

Also - still up in the air between LASIK and PRK. I can deal with the longer healing process of PRK - so I'm tempted to just bite the bullet and do PRK instead of getting LASIK done. Only difficulty are the wide range of healing times quoted. A couple weeks? Sure. A month or two? Need to think about it

January
Jul 5, 2009
    Yes, about 8 years ago.

Probably better, because for whatever reason, it appears that my eyes haven't changed very much since I got the surgery. My prescription was changing from time to time before I got the surgery. This may just be a coincidence.

During the surgery, it's uncomfortable and maybe slightly painful for a bit when your eye is propped open and the laser is working on it, but the procedure doesn't take very long.
    After the surgery, it hurt to keep my eyes open -- not extreme pain, but like having several eyelashes stuck in my eyes. I don't think everyone is quite so uncomfortable, but you should definitely have someone there to drive you home after the surgery, and don't plan on doing anything for the rest of the day, just in case. By the next day, I was pretty much OK though.

I see a slight halo around lights at night, but I don't recall if it was that way with glasses anyway. I don't consider it to be a significant disadvantage. I'm able to drive at night with no problems.

• Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?
    My eyes were too sensitive for contacts, so I wore glasses before the surgery.
    I use a computer for 8+ hours on an average day, and I haven't had any problems with redness or dryness that seemed any worse than they were before the surgery. I keep a bottle of eye drops nearby for those extra-long workdays, but that's probably something that would be handy for anyone staring at a monitor for extended periods of time.

Without a question. It's one of the best decisions I ever made.

I've heard of some people getting bad halo effects. I haven't had any notably negative results from my surgery. I'd just say choose a reputable doctor with lots of experience. Also, caring for your eyes properly after the procedure is important.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007

Happydayz posted:

how much of a difference does bladeless LASIK and custom wavefront make overall? And since it's so automated right now just how much difference does the doctor make?

I'm not talking about someone doing it out of an alleyway vs. a highly acclaimed doctor. However given how much automation is involved in LASIK right now I'd imagine that you hit diminishing returns pretty rapidly once you get to a certain level of surgeon competency.

Also - still up in the air between LASIK and PRK. I can deal with the longer healing process of PRK - so I'm tempted to just bite the bullet and do PRK instead of getting LASIK done. Only difficulty are the wide range of healing times quoted. A couple weeks? Sure. A month or two? Need to think about it

My doctor told me bladed vs bladeless would make no difference in what my vision finally turned out to be. Bladeless has slightly less risk of complications, but for the most part you're paying an extra $1000 or so dollars to feel less icky for about ten minutes during the procedure.

My surgery was done with custom wavefront, and like I said above, I'm now overcorrected to 20/13, and it's fantastic. I didn't ask them to over correct me, but I've heard if that's something you want, you can ask in advance.

Like someone said above me, Lasik is very safe. Unless you're a kickboxer or a white water rafter, PRK isn't necessary and Lasik is the way to go. I don't live in constant fear of dislodging the flap, and if I do want to do something like white water rafting, I just have to wear goggles.

Deicide
Mar 22, 2004
Oh. How quaint.

jibberjabber posted:

I had LASIK done on Friday July 31, And my right eye is still a little blurry but my left eye is fine. Did anyone have one blurry eye after LASIK and how long did it take to get better? I'm kind of worryed that my right eye will stay this.

Your vision wont stabilize for weeks. Dont worry about it. And really this is probably one of those things you should ask your doctor if you're really worried about, vice the internet. If your surgeon isnt up to providing some basic info like that well, poo poo.

Happydayz posted:

Bladeless is cool I guess but they are about the same as far as vision correction.
Paying for a good surgeon is worth it. yeah, the laser will turn off if you look away or do something stupid, but theres a whole host of things involved in any surgery that cannot be automated. And you only get the one set of eyeballs.

Unless you have a specific reason to get PRK over LASIK, I would go with LASIK. You can deal with the recovery time, sure. But if ya don't have to...

Mog
Nov 23, 2006

Pillbug
I went for the custom wavefront in February of this year.

First the good news: Pretty much immediately after the surgery I was seeing 20/15, and my vision has remained at this level for the past 6 months. No halos at night, perfect, quick recovery.

The bad news: The surgery itself was a soul-crushing experience for me. The doctor didn't explain what to expect, and I broke out in a cold sweat about a minute in. Although there was no pain, I could still feel the slicing of the outer layer of my eye when they peeled it away at the start. The whole time I was worried I would do something wrong and end up blind and I had to grip the sides of my table as tight as I could to hold still, because I started shaking something awful.

No one else I've spoken to had as bad a time with the surgery, and the doctor refused to include my trip report in the binder that sits in his waiting room.

Am I happy with my results? Yes.

If I had to make the choice would I do it again? No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraternite
Dec 24, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I just went in for a consultation and was told that I have a thin cornea and large pupils -- but not thin enough (500 microns as opposed to 550 micorns) or large enough (9.2 mm as opposed to 6.5 mm) that normal LASIK was out of the question.

I'm going to hit up another place in the area for a second opinion, but for whatever reason I just got the impression that I really should go for the custom wavefront despite their protestations that normal LASIK wouldn't be a particularly bad option. Does anyone here have enough information and background to give a somewhat informed opinion on this?

• Locked thread