Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

I have my PRK surgery in less than a week and picked up some antibiotic eye drops to put in pre-surgery.

Do they normally run ~$89? After insurance they were $68.50 but this really seems extreme for 5mL of liquid. Hopefully I don't need to buy another bottle after surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title

Puck42 posted:

I have my PRK surgery in less than a week and picked up some antibiotic eye drops to put in pre-surgery.

Do they normally run ~$89? After insurance they were $68.50 but this really seems extreme for 5mL of liquid. Hopefully I don't need to buy another bottle after surgery.

Yeah, I paid something like that for one of my steroid drops. I think before insurance it would have been in the $200 range for a three-month supply.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007
Hey, does anyone here have experience with pink eye after lasik? I'm pretty sure that's what I have, can I go to a regular doctor or am I better off waiting until tomorrow and going to where I got my surgery? It's not affecting my vision or causing me any pain, and I'm using the anti-pink eye drops I have left over from my surgery, which seem to be helping.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009

blue_kameleon posted:

Hey, does anyone here have experience with pink eye after lasik? I'm pretty sure that's what I have, can I go to a regular doctor or am I better off waiting until tomorrow and going to where I got my surgery? It's not affecting my vision or causing me any pain, and I'm using the anti-pink eye drops I have left over from my surgery, which seem to be helping.

Is it pink eye as in a bacterial infection, or pink eye like your eye is red and looks bloody?

The bloody eye look is common, its from the suction applied to your eye. I still have it at a week and a half, and it will stick around for a few more weeks. It's not a big deal and doesn't hurt your eye at all.

They probably gave you an antibiotic and a steroid after surgery, just use them for as long as you were told to. I'm betting you just have some burst blood vessels in which case you don't need to do anything, they will get better in time.

Also it sucks that your eye doctors had you pay for those prescriptions, mine gave me samples of everything so I wouldn't have to pay out of pocket. I don't have insurance, so they specifically told me they wanted to avoid me paying the $89 for the drops.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007
This is six months after my surgery, and I'm assuming its bacterial because I haven't had any recent eye trauma that would have otherwise caused it, and so far it's only in one eye.

One of the drops I was giving six months ago post-surgery is a treatment for pink eye (I guess to prevent me from getting it while still recovering?), and I've been using that periodically since yesterday and its cut down on the redness and gunky-ness significantly. It looks and feels much better today than it did yesterday, and I'm going to see if I can get an appointment at the lasik place tommorow. I was just wondering if anyone else had any advice/experiences with this, and if it was a 'HOLY poo poo DOCTOR NOW' sort of issue or something that could wait, especially since it isn't affecting my vision or causing me any pain.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009

blue_kameleon posted:

This is six months after my surgery, and I'm assuming its bacterial because I haven't had any recent eye trauma that would have otherwise caused it, and so far it's only in one eye.

One of the drops I was giving six months ago post-surgery is a treatment for pink eye (I guess to prevent me from getting it while still recovering?), and I've been using that periodically since yesterday and its cut down on the redness and gunky-ness significantly. It looks and feels much better today than it did yesterday, and I'm going to see if I can get an appointment at the lasik place tommorow. I was just wondering if anyone else had any advice/experiences with this, and if it was a 'HOLY poo poo DOCTOR NOW' sort of issue or something that could wait, especially since it isn't affecting my vision or causing me any pain.

I see, I thought you just had surgery and you didn't mention eye gunk in the first post. Yes it's probably a bacterial or viral infection, often broadly termed "pink eye", and your drops are probably an antibiotic I'm guessing? They may have called them pink eye drops because it's the same stuff commonly used to treat that.

I had a viral infection in my eyes a few months ago, and my eye doctor said that it doesn't need antibiotics if it's viral. He told me the usual way to discern the difference is if it lasts for more than two weeks, and if the discharge is green or yellow tinged. Apparently viral infections just have a discharge that looks a lot like the stuff you have in your eye when you wake up, and bacterial infection gunk is a different color.

Mine was viral and I had minimal inflammation, so I was instructed to rinse my eye several times a day with saline very thoroughly. I also used washcloths soaked in cool water to lay over my eyes. That really helped with the inflammation and itching. It cleared on its own after about four weeks total, but it was not a very severe infection to begin with.

I wouldn't freak out and run to the doctor, since you said there is no pain or vision change. Making an appointment at all is kind of a personal judgment call, like when you're sick and not sure if you should go to the doctor or let it clear up on its own. But it's not an emergency room or urgent care situation. I'm not trying to diagnose it or say you should self diagnose it by the information I posted, just sharing my experience. It's up to you whether to give it a couple more days or get an appointment right away, and the receptionist at your eye care place may be able to ask your doctor what they would recommend based on your symptoms.

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

LinuxGirl87 posted:

*Has anyone here had laser eye surgery done?
About 7-8 years ago

*Do they see as well as they did with glasses?
I forget the exact prescription but -8.75 or something in both eyes (legally blind without corrective lenses) with astigmatism to 20/20. I can see better at night now because the astigmatism is gone. I used to be able to see abnormally well up close which is gone now but meh.

*Does it hurt (before/during/after)?
It's scary when they pull the flaps off. I had some extreme burning for a short time after the numbing stuff wore off but that was it.

*I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?
see above
*Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)
No.

* Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?
A million times yes. I dreamed of having it ever since I saw that Russian dude doing RK on 60 minutes when I was a kid.

*Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?
Weird thing, I heard you should have it done in winter when the air is drier, as opposed to during humid late summer because the corneas are slightly swollen and your results will be slightly different, resulting in the need for a "touch up". I don't know if it's baloney or not but a friend and I both had it in winter at different doctors and neither of us has needed an adjustment.

Another weird thing, I spent my life with my eyeballs covered by either glasses or contacts until LASIK. The first time I went out in the snow it was like someone was throwing tacks in my eyes. Don't let snow, sleet, freezing rain or whatever bounce off your eyeballs. It hurts like a mother!

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

Just got home from my PRK.

Had a bit of a dispute about how much they were charging me, they tried to charge $1000 over what I was quoted by my insurance company, But I got it settled and got the price I wanted.

Right now my eyes are starting to burn, I guess the numbing stuff is wearing off. Will probably be in bed soon enough.

Also just downed a percocet.. it's starting to kick in now...

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

Puck42,

How are you doing now after PRK? I am scheduled for my surgery Monday the 19th and am very excited / nervous. How has your recovery been?

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

intangible posted:

Puck42,

How are you doing now after PRK? I am scheduled for my surgery Monday the 19th and am very excited / nervous. How has your recovery been?

It's been going ok. It's been a little over a week now and I can see fine, it's mostly just reading especially on computer screen that are a little blurry. This is supposedly normal and will eventually go away.

The surgery was quick and easy, it's pretty much an assembly line process and nothing to really be worried about. They probably ran about 5 people through the procedure the 1.5 hours I was there.

I was fine after the surgery, took about an hour or two for some pain to start but it really wasn't too bad. The next morning and a couple days after it was difficult to see anything at all but by Monday I was fine and able to work. My recovery mostly consisted of me laying in bed sleeping and getting up every hour or so put in my drops.

The only complications I've had is that my contacts fell out a day early and when I went in I still had some abrasions, so they put new contacts on for a few more days. When I went back to get them removed they decided to leave them on for another week saying it will speed up recovery, I'm suppose to have them removed on Friday.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

Sweet man, I'm glad it hasn't been too bad for you. I will give a rundown of my procedure once it is over and I can see well enough to look at my computer screen.

Wish me luck!

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
I went in last week to get checked out for lasik. After two hours of more eye machines than I've ever seen (including one where they poke each eye ten times with a small pen like object), I'm in the clear. I can't get the wavescan tech, so it's regular intralasik scheduled December 8th.
My vision is pretty bad (20/1000 and 20/500; both eyes with astigmatism) and they were really upfront with fact that having such bad vision, my eyes might regress a bit. This place has a lifetime guarantee and will comp everything to get me to 20/20 should I need addition surgery.
The place I'm going to is really nice and well known for doing lasik on celebrities and other eye doctors. Going to cost me 300,000 yen ($3000) but that beats with $5000+ Kaiser wanted back when I was living in the States.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009
My eyes are doing awesome after LASIK. I was a little too paranoid about my vision right after, and worried about the slight blurriness. It is more than gone now, and I can see wonderfully. The halos at night are all but gone after three and a half weeks, thought I still have a teeny tiny bit of ghosting around bright things in dim rooms. It's so minimal I rarely notice, and it gets smaller every week.

Eyes are still pretty dry, I wake up and feel like I had cotton in them all night. But it's easily remedied with preservative free drops(annoying little containers but they work). If I use the drops a ridiculous amount through the day, my eyes are better when I wake up.

Just wanted to update and say my eyes are still contained withiin my head.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

I just got home from having PRK. My eyes are slightly gritty and burny but that was expected. The procedure itself was very quick and the doctor that performed it was very good and kept talking to me the whole time. I just wish someone had given me a heads up that the gnarly smell was coming from the laser and not my eyes. They told me that after the fact during my post op when I asked what that smell was.

Now my percocet is starting to kick in and I think I'm going to go listen to some audiobooks with my eyes closed and try and get some rest.

No End to Gulps
Aug 19, 2006

Go home and be a family man
I have my surgery on Saturday, I'm very excited.

I had the same tests the person above mentioned. The pressure test (pen hitting your eye), and everything else they throw at you. If your vision is highly refracted, expect to have your pupils dialated on the pre-test (I'm Canadian, so all I know is my eyes are near sighted @ left -6.50 and right -7.00).

I had lots of cornea, but I have a larger pupil so they recommended the waveform lasik, instead of the regular lasik. I guess waveform is a more custom form of the lasik, fyi. It's more expensive so I'm sure they have no problem suggesting waveform to customers *rolls eyes.

I plan on bringing an mp3 player and some podcasts or some music to the place. Apparently I'm there for about 4-5 hours, even though the surgery is 10-15 mins long.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

Today is day 3 post op from my PRK surgery. My corneas have healed to a point where the bandage contacts have come out. What a relief that is. They were getting kind of funky. I am amazed at what I can see now and I'm not even close to being fully healed. Things kind of come in and out of focus, but I'm told that is part of the healing process and will go away eventually. I am so happy with the results so far and things are only going to get better from here.

No End to Gulps
Aug 19, 2006

Go home and be a family man
So, its been almost 2 weeks (2 weeks saturday coming) since they lasered my eyeballs. I guess I enjoy out of the ordinary things like this, so I went into the whole thing with excitment and intrigue.

You can pretty much call the whole process uncomfortable. My only advice is to prepare yourself for the blackout part of the operation. When the surgeon sucks your eyeball into the contraption, the pressure on the eye causes you to lose your vision. It reminded me of fainting or passing out, and that feeling sort of makes me queasy, so I felt sick as he was doing it and a little queasy there after.
Don't forget to breath too. Very imporant, because I think I held my breath the entire time.

When I got off the table, my vision was obviously more refined, but everything was still blurry - like being underwater blurry. So as you can guess, the surgeon will tell you that that is very normal.

The only thing for me, is that the next day, things were still pretty blurry. And a week later, my vision is still unnacceptably blurry. I had double vision yesterday in my right eye, but today that actually seems to be getting better. I was told that my eyes were very dry and inflammed, so blurryness and double vision is very much to be expected. I don't and didn't feel any pain, just the usual dryness after a night of sleep.

What I want to make clear here is that this is not looking to be a one shot deal for me. The surgeon's were saying, at first, something like "50/50 chance you'll either need to go under again or you'll just have to give it more time" and "but I've been pleasantly surprised with people coming back to me a few weeks later, after the cornea has fully healed, seeing 20/20". So that sort of sucks, but I'm not a big baby about it - it is what it is.

If youre a blind motherfucker like myself (ie. high prescription) - be prepared with the possibility of having to go under the laser twice or more (i'm now hearing stories of multiple flap cuts from people). On yesterday's visit, the surgeon told me that they'll write a prescription for glasses until my eyes are fully healed, enough to make the second cut, because right now, lol, I probably shouldn't be behind the wheel.

In hindsight, the idea of the flap annoys me for some reason. I want to believe that the flap heals just as solid as before it was cut, because god knows I've rubbed my eyes like a banchee before, especially if I'm around an allergen.
I'm locked into a lifetime of surgery with this place, so touch-ups are free.

I wonder if I asked for PKR, would they oblige? gently caress this flap poo poo.

Anyone have any thoughts? Any positive advice telling me my eyes will come through and I won't need to go under again?

Cele
Oct 9, 2008

CHANGE
we can believe in
I just had CustomVue (Wavefront) PRK done on my left eye this past Friday and I'm going in for my right eye a week later on this coming Friday. I just has the bandage contact removed today and my eye is healing very well. The cost was $4800 but they gave me a 20% discount for working at a biotech company so it came to $3840. A bit expensive but it didn't seem too bad with a $500 eye insurance reimbursement from my company. It seemed like they would have just given me the discount for almost anything though, I'm guessing business is slow with the economy. All of the eyedrop medications were included in the price of that, as are post-op checkups for the next year. Re-op enhancement would be an extra $250 if needed but that is supposed to be very rare if your vision isn't that bad to begin with.

This was a pretty posh private practice and the ophthalmologist had very good credentials: summa cum laude yale, harvard med, tens of thousands of surgeries. He said that while I was a perfect candidate for LASIK (I have mild myopia, about 3 diopters) he always recommends PRK for all of his patients as long as they could deal with the longer recovery time. There are fewer potential complications and he finds the results tend to be slightly better in the long-term as well. The thought of having a flap cut in my eye really creeped me out too. The doc also preferred doing one eye at a time with PRK unless the patient would be okay with not driving for a week or more (I need to drive!).

I went in two days before for a pre-op where they did all the computer measurements and went over the entire procedure. The day of the surgery went pretty smoothly, they hop you up on valium and an assortment of eye numbing drops. The machine goes over you, you concentrate on staring at a blinking light then a very bright light comes on around it. The doctor scrapes away your epithelim for about 30 seconds (you don't feel a thing), and then the laser comes on for 30 seconds (its about 10 seconds per diopter). The laser had a weird smoky smell. They put a contact bandage in and you need to put in three different eye drops four times a day for a week, and they also give you prescription pain killers. Apparently the pain level is different for everyone but it wasn't bad for me at all. I didn't feel anything the day of the op because I was so drugged up, and the pain was only bad waking up the next day. The pain level was maybe a 3 on a scale of 1-10 at the worst. After the the second day there was really no pain at all and only very slight discomfort. I was very sensitive to light which is normal.

Even the day after the procedure I could already see much better out of my left eye than my right eye with my glasses off. My eye has been getting more comfortable each day, and my vision has been gradually getting better too, although I go through periods of clarity and blurriness. It can take anywhere between 7-14 days before your vision really gets good, and up to 8 weeks to get your optimal vision with PRK.

Edit: It's now 3 weeks since my left (dominant) eye and 2 weeks since my right eye was done. I'm 20/15 left & 20/20 right, and 20/15 in both. The right eye will probably get better as it's a week behind and both eyes still seem to be gradually improving. It's awesome how much better I can see textures and fine detail from a greater distance than I could with my glasses before. I have no discomfort or complications; I had some night halos at first but those have gone away completely in my left eye and almost gone in my right. I couldn't be happier with my results.

Cele fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 21, 2009

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Just got back from my appointment with the guy I'm going to go with for the surgery. He's got stupid amounts of credentials and was one of 7 places in the US that did the clinical trials for wavefront technology to get FDA approval. It's the CustomVue Wavefront Lasik and it's what he specializes in. I've had a couple friends and co-workers go to him with excellent results.

Cost is just over $4k but I'll get a discount/rebate from my vision insurance and it includes all the normal stuff (meds, follow ups, corrections if needed for 10yrs (yea 10 yrs as long as you pass the 3 month and 1 year follow ups).

Just need to verify some time off in January and I'll be setting an apointment.

NON
Jun 5, 2003

GAY
[*]Has anyone here had laser eye surgery done?

Yes, I had LASIK about 3 years ago when I was 19

[*]Do they see as well as they did with glasses?

I went from 20/200 and 20/300 to 20/15 in both eyes, I also had astigmatism in both eyes.

[*]Does it hurt (before/during/after)?
I just had my 3 month check up today so thought I'd chime in.

[*]I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?

Not for me. I can see perfectly fine while driving and don't have halos.

[*]Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)

I work with computers all day long and what I was told this morning, is that anything involving computers or reading causes you to not blink. This dries my eyes out and even after 3 months, I'm still using drops. I don't mind, it's progressively getting better.

[*] Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?

Yes, though I'm glad I don't have to. The process while quick was very uncomfortable.

[*] Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?

My doctor used a felt pen to mark something on my eyeball. I didn't care for that at all.

ChaChaLeeroy
Aug 14, 2009
I'm thinking about getting this done soon. I have a few questions as well...

1) Is there any thing I should be looking for in a clinic specifically?
2) Are the "cheap" clinics bad in any way or is it pretty much all the same poo poo everywhere you go? This is my vision I'm talking about so I wouldn't mind paying for good service, but am I just wasting my money?
3) Is there anything you should do to prepare for the surgery? For example, should I wear only my glasses (instead of contacts) for a week before? Not go out in the sun? Not stare at a computer? etc...

NeverRamza
Jan 9, 2003

what the...? where the hell has Frodo gone to?
I'm in the Lansing, Michigan area and I have no idea where I would begin to research who are and aren't the good doctors. I guess all I'd have is intuition after visiting a place. Are there any websites that can recommend good doctors?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
We've got some extra money in a use it or lose it situation, so looks like I may get my eye done. My first appt is the 1st, anything I should be extra careful about asking about with the doc?

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

ChaChaLeeroy posted:

I'm thinking about getting this done soon. I have a few questions as well...

1) Is there any thing I should be looking for in a clinic specifically?
2) Are the "cheap" clinics bad in any way or is it pretty much all the same poo poo everywhere you go? This is my vision I'm talking about so I wouldn't mind paying for good service, but am I just wasting my money?
3) Is there anything you should do to prepare for the surgery? For example, should I wear only my glasses (instead of contacts) for a week before? Not go out in the sun? Not stare at a computer? etc...

The "cheap" clinic usually use older machines/techniques from what I found in my research.

Make sure you ask about specific percentages of issues from how many of their patients needed follow up corrections, complications and such. There are websites you can goodle fu on to get lists of questions to ask.

Your doc should cover them but really before you go in for the consult you don't want to wear your contacts for 1-2 weeks. They'll need to do scans of your eyes to make sure you are a good candidate (holy poo poo run if they don't and just give you some BS). The contacts change the shape of your eye a bit and you need them "normal". Before you go in for the actual procedure you would need to not wear your contacts for 2+ weeks.

Do you research on the clinic and doctor, seriously these are your only eyes.

I'm cutting way into my budget for a couple months to go with the guy I choose because of his reputation, experience and technology.

archwhore
Oct 4, 2007

I have really bad eyes (around 20/500, maybe worse) and have had glasses since I was around 12 (I'm 24 now). I've been thinking about getting my eyes done for years but have been afraid that if I do all the research and get cleared for the go-ahead and get all excited, I won't be able to afford it. But after reading the prices some of you have paid, I'm giving it a lot more serious thought.

I have a question though. Knowing how I do in other eye exams, I have a hard time focusing my eye on one spot and not moving it. I guess I get nervous and try too hard, I don't know. I know they give you numbing drops and a Valium if you want it, but is there any way they could give me something to relax my eye so I'll be less likely to move it around when I get scared? I've never had Valium, but does the Valium pretty much do just that?

Fraternite
Dec 24, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm one week out of PRK and my vision up close is blurry as gently caress and apparently will remain this way for months. For example, I have trouble reading the computer screen.

I'm not unhappy with my choice (it's too early to judge), but don't let anyone bullshit you about the fact your vision will blow chunks for a very extended period of time.

archwhore posted:

I have a question though. Knowing how I do in other eye exams, I have a hard time focusing my eye on one spot and not moving it. I guess I get nervous and try too hard, I don't know. I know they give you numbing drops and a Valium if you want it, but is there any way they could give me something to relax my eye so I'll be less likely to move it around when I get scared? I've never had Valium, but does the Valium pretty much do just that?

I was given Atavan and my right eye (oculus dexter, lol) still was essentially in a terrified spasm during the surgery. I am told that this isn't abnormal. And I wouldn't worry about voluntarily moving your eye -- you'll be gripping the seat in abject terror from the moment they clamp your eyes open and start dripping in an assortment of drops.

Shmee!
Jan 2, 2009
# Has anyone here had laser eye surgery done?

Almost three years ago.

# Do they see as well as they did with glasses?

Much better, actually.

# Does it hurt (before/during/after)?

Its freaky during, what with a a goddamn suction cup in your eye, but it doesnt hurt. The bit where they stuck some sort of cardboard thingie in my eyes to make sure they were moist enough, that hurt like a bitch. I also don't recommend getting a falling piece of ice in your eye right after the surgery. Hurt. But that was an accident.

# I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?

For a while -they say your night vision should be ok in about six months. (Mine has always been bad, and there wasnt any difference pre- and post surgery.

# Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)

No difficulties.

# Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?

Absolutely. Best money I ever spent.

# Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?

The feeling from the moisturizing eyedrops they tell you to use a few weeks after is sorta addictive. Moist eyes ^^. So I still use them. Also, you can smell your own tissue burning, so don't be super squeamish. You can get a valium etc prescription beforehand if you're really freaked, but there must not be any alcohol in your system.

archwhore
Oct 4, 2007

Fraternite posted:

I was given Atavan and my right eye (oculus dexter, lol) still was essentially in a terrified spasm during the surgery. I am told that this isn't abnormal. And I wouldn't worry about voluntarily moving your eye -- you'll be gripping the seat in abject terror from the moment they clamp your eyes open and start dripping in an assortment of drops.

Will moving your eye cause you to immediately go blind or anything? Will the laser just liquify your eye or will the surgery be completely hosed if your eye moves slightly?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

archwhore posted:

Will moving your eye cause you to immediately go blind or anything? Will the laser just liquify your eye or will the surgery be completely hosed if your eye moves slightly?

From what I heard the laser or whatever will automatically abort.

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

archwhore posted:

When I had mine done they put a little blue dot on my eyeball for tracking. The computer uses it as a reference point when they do the big topographical map of your cornea. I stayed still on the first eye but flinched pretty bad on the second one. It wasn't a problem, the laser just follows the reference point that was set.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Has anyone had epi-lasik?

I went in for the second check up where they re-do all the tests (you have this one within three weeks of the surgery) just to double check everything. Well, another doctor was there today and looking over everything said I should get epi-lasik because it will correct my vision better than intralasik will.

But, slight problem: I've been in glasses for the past three years because my eyes rejected contacts suddenly. I went to a whole bunch of optometrists that all just shrugged their shoulders and told me that my eyes are too sensitive to wear contacts. Wearing contacts for more than four hours turns my eyes bright red and causes me them to leak all over the place. I haven't tried wearing contacts for about two and a half years, so for all I know they have improved somewhat.

I told them about it and they told me that the contacts aren't normal contacts and all the liquids they will give me have numbing agents and things to help with the irritations after surgery so it should help with that issue. They also told me that no one has ever had to take the contacts out due to the pain. I told them that I didn't want to be their first because who else had this pre-existing condition?

So yeah, I have to go back in one the 7th to talk with the doctor that speaks perfect English who will let me know what I should do (all the doctors will get together and discuss my case before hand). I want to get perfect vision, but I just don't know if I can wear a contact for a week, much less a day...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I mentioned my evaluation is on the 1st, but Im curious about their claim of "There is no better equipment than the combination of the Visx Star S4 - IR and the Hansatome Microkeratome or IntraLase." Truth?

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

What's new, Buseycat? woa-aah, woa-aah, woa-aah

Fraternite posted:

I'm one week out of PRK and my vision up close is blurry as gently caress and apparently will remain this way for months. For example, I have trouble reading the computer screen.

This is one of the reasons I don't really get why so many people are jumping on PRK.

3 hours after my LASIK i've been able to see better than I have for 15 years, and it has only got better. I was 20/20 within 16 hours and have stayed that way. Is it the cost?

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I got EPI-LASIK (basically PRK) at my doctor's recommendation. Price was almost the same.

With LASIK there is a small but nonzero chance of flap complications for the rest of your life. My doctor told me a story of a women whose dog hit her in the eye with its paw and she had to get the surgery redone.

I'm not going to defend what my doctor said or anything; I took his word for it and it's possible that he was wrong. That was just my reasoning.

There's also that PRK works with lower corneal thickness so a wider range of patients are open to it. I believe that the instance of minor complications (haloing, eye dryness, and starbursting) is less with PRK.

For the record, I'm a year downstream of my surgery with perfect vision and no side effects. I was at 95% at about 3-4 months. Best 2 grand I've ever spent.

Fraternite
Dec 24, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xelfer posted:

This is one of the reasons I don't really get why so many people are jumping on PRK.

3 hours after my LASIK i've been able to see better than I have for 15 years, and it has only got better. I was 20/20 within 16 hours and have stayed that way. Is it the cost?

Well, 3 of the 4 places I visited wanted to do LASIK, and 1 of them said they thought my cornea was too thin and my pupils too big for it and that they wouldn`t feel comfortable doing it and would only do PRK. They also happen to be the place of highest repute, and it was an extremely effective tactic to get me to trust them, especially given that PRK is cheaper.

My boss also made me burn a week of vacation such that I can`t carry it into next year, and I wasn`t going to do anything with it anyways. Further, I had insurance benefits at work that wouldn`t carry over into the new year as well -- and PRK was $1000 cheaper and was eligible for $400 more of coverage.

So huzzah for PRK, I guess.

Also, my eyes are slightly better now and I have probably about 5 minutes of computer time that everything is clear before it deteriorates into fuzz until I close my eyes for about 10 minutes or so. Then I get 5 minutes again...

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Is there anyone here who was -6.00 diopters or greater prior to surgery?

I'm currently about -7.50 and noticed a lot of the people who say it was "the best money they ever spent" were in the < -5.00 range. From what I understand, it can get complicated for high-myoptics.

So if you're one of those that were nearly blind, how is it post-surgery? Night vision? Dry eyes? Aberrations (halos, starbursts, etc.)?

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
I had my 3rd pre-examination test on Monday and the doctor said that I was a great candidate for either intra-lasik or epi-lasik. I decided to go with intra-lasik due to healing time and no pain. Getting my lasik done tomorrow!
This is Japan, the one difference between lasik done here versus the states is that Japan won't give you anti-anxiety or sleep meds. I have to do this stone cold sober.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I am looking at getting wavefront LASIK or PRK (same price, the surgeon tells me end results will be the same, but I understand the risks and healing process are a little different) in the near future. I am just paranoid and worried about aberrations, decreased contrast/low light vision, and decreased Best Corrected Visual Acuity. I am leaning towards PRK because I don't want the flap, but the healing process sounds a lot longer and more of a pain.

Could some of the PRK guys give me an idea of the healing process timeline? How soon were you able to drive at night and return to work?

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I could go back to work in ~10 days.

At the time I wasn't driving anywhere (in Korea where public transit makes it unnecessary) I can't comment on that.

I won't lie, the healing process sucks.

1-10 days: lying around in bed listening to audiobooks. Able to use computers for short stretches. It felt like I had dry contacts in my eyes at all times, but couldn't so much as touch my eyes. Note that I didn't take any pain medications during this period, so that might help this process immensely.
10 days - 1 month: Able to use computers (a big part of my job), though uncomfortably. Day-to-day vision is the same or better as my uncorrected vision before, but still blurry. Fairly severe nighttime halos. Minor discomfort but this was mostly because I couldn't touch my eyes still.
1-3 months - Blurriness that fluctuates throughout the day, but better vision than before the surgery by far. In this period I tested 20/20 for the first time. All discomfort was gone by the 1 month point.
3-6 months - Vision almost perfect during the day. Still prone to aberrations at night. Nothing that I think would have interfered with driving.
6-12 months - MINOR aberrations at night--starbursting of distant light sources. I did drive during this period, with no ill effects. I could still see to drive if a car with its brights on was coming toward me, for example.
12+ months - No more aberrations, no dry-eye or discomfort.

I know I don't paint a pretty picture, but I'd pick PRK again simply because the healing process was never really an inconvenience to my life past the initial 10 day healing period. It was no worse than the discomfort I got from wearing contacts (your vision really sucks as contacts dry out, and you get aberrations).

edit: vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv At work now. I don't know my prescription off the top of my head but I'll try to find it later.

The Gay Bean fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

The Gay Bean posted:

I got EPI-LASIK (basically PRK) at my doctor's recommendation. Price was almost the same.

With LASIK there is a small but nonzero chance of flap complications for the rest of your life. My doctor told me a story of a women whose dog hit her in the eye with its paw and she had to get the surgery redone.

I'm not going to defend what my doctor said or anything; I took his word for it and it's possible that he was wrong. That was just my reasoning.

There's also that PRK works with lower corneal thickness so a wider range of patients are open to it. I believe that the instance of minor complications (haloing, eye dryness, and starbursting) is less with PRK.

For the record, I'm a year downstream of my surgery with perfect vision and no side effects. I was at 95% at about 3-4 months. Best 2 grand I've ever spent.

What was your pre-surgery prescription? So you have no issues with dry eyes or night vision now? Thanks.

• Locked thread