Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Libandano Urfam posted:

So this is something I've been considering for quite a while, and I believe that my insurance can cover part of it.

I don't remember the specific numbers of my nearsightedness and do plan on consulting an eye doctor relatively soon for the basics and what not.

But I've heard that there is a 100% chance for degenerated vision and perhaps a need for reading glasses later in life. Is there anyone here who has had the operation quite a while ago who has information about this? It might just be scare tactics, but I want my miracle cure, damnit! <:mad:>

Well even after LASIK, etc. you are still susceptible to the normal age related need for reading glasses like most people. Is that what you are referring to?

LASIK and such are typically used to correct for near sightedness, while reading glasses are used to compensate for far sightedness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010

furushotakeru posted:

Well even after LASIK, etc. you are still susceptible to the normal age related need for reading glasses like most people. Is that what you are referring to?

LASIK and such are typically used to correct for near sightedness, while reading glasses are used to compensate for far sightedness.

True true, I expect the normal aging process, but I had heard that you were guaranteed to need reading glasses later on if you got lasik. Something about trading being able to see far now for not seeing near in the future.

Or it could be what I get from hearing secondhand.

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!

Libandano Urfam posted:

True true, I expect the normal aging process, but I had heard that you were guaranteed to need reading glasses later on if you got lasik. Something about trading being able to see far now for not seeing near in the future.

Or it could be what I get from hearing secondhand.

presbyopia is a natural part of aging, and pretty much everybody suffers from it to some degree after the age of 40 or so, regardless of previous LASIK surgery

Lumb
Jun 29, 2007
I had Lasik about 7 hours ago. Just woke up from a 3ish hour rest and I can see pretty well. Halos are somewhat visible around lights and my vision definitely isn't 20/20 but I am functional and hey it was only 7 hours ago so that's ok right?!?!

I was -5.50 -6.00

Lumb
Jun 29, 2007
(I was 20/20 1 day later)

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Anybody else's eyes get totally raped by having to heat one's place in winter? I makes my eyes super dry when I wake up and I can't see poo poo all day because of the irritation.

Wonder if I should invest in a humidifier..

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DreadCthulhu posted:

Anybody else's eyes get totally raped by having to heat one's place in winter? I makes my eyes super dry when I wake up and I can't see poo poo all day because of the irritation.

Go get some eye lubricating ointment from the chemist and put it in before you go to bed. Should sort you out.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Go get some eye lubricating ointment from the chemist and put it in before you go to bed. Should sort you out.

Yeah the doc already recommended that as the surface of the cornea is super irritated in the morning and I can't read poo poo until the next day (apparently sleeping, besides steroids, is the only thing that heals it).

Prob is that when you heat your house throughout the day, it really dries out the air and you have to sprinkle your eyeballs with artificial tears every 15 minutes.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

DreadCthulhu posted:

My optometrist mentioned the other day when I saw her that taking an Omega 3 (fish oil) supplement helps alleviate dry eyes FWIW.

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title

KasioDiscoRock posted:

My optometrist mentioned the other day when I saw her that taking an Omega 3 (fish oil) supplement helps alleviate dry eyes FWIW.

I started taking it a few months post-op when I was still recovering slightly, and I thought I noticed a difference.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
What's the usual time difference between first appointment and procedure?

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title

TLG James posted:

What's the usual time difference between first appointment and procedure?

Depends how booked up they are. I only had to wait two or three weeks. Some places you might wait quite a bit longer.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm interested in getting laser eye surgery done but I don't know too much about the process. I've been wearing glasses since I was 5, I am very short-sighted with some double vision mixed in and I can't wear contact lenses because I will never be able to put them in properly. Well, I'm tired of glasses, and LASIK seems like a decent chance of getting rid of them.

Anyway, my questions:

- What are the risks of getting LASIK? How likely is that to happen?
- Can LASIK fix double vision?
- How long is the recovery time?
- How long does the procedure take?
- Is it painful?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.

Rarity posted:

Anyway, my questions:
- What are the risks of getting LASIK? How likely is that to happen?
- Can LASIK fix double vision?
- How long is the recovery time?
- How long does the procedure take?
- Is it painful?

Thanks for any help you can give!
If safety is your concern make sure you go to a reputable company with a low complication rate. It is really safe. You might get a bloodshot eye if you're unlucky, thats the worst I've seen happen to someone.

It can't fix double vision I'm afraid.

Depends what treatment you go for but standard recovery time is 48 hours. If you want the fastest healing time go for the intralase treatment.

It takes about half a minute per eye. It isn't sore during the treatment but you will have some minor discomfort for a few days. Totally worth it though, especially if you're heavily dependent on your glasses right now.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm finally getting serious about getting this done, but I'm paying out of my own pocket since I don't have insurance.

What I want to know are the surprise hidden costs related to the treatment? Some of you mentioned $100 eye droplets, but outside of the actual treatment and eye exams what else is there?

WyrmHunter
Dec 25, 2005
Viscometers are sweet

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm finally getting serious about getting this done, but I'm paying out of my own pocket since I don't have insurance.

What I want to know are the surprise hidden costs related to the treatment? Some of you mentioned $100 eye droplets, but outside of the actual treatment and eye exams what else is there?

Most places provide you with antibiotic eye drops for the first few days that you need them (else they might be a bit more expensive). The only thing you'd probably need to buy is sterile one time use eye drops to use for the first week or two, and regular eye drops beyond that. So maybe $20 and $12.99

I'd also consider chasehelathadvance they do 0% loans for for x amount of time depending on credit. My lasik place dealt pretty much only through them and it worked out awesome.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I have LASIK on monday. Any last minute tips? They say no cologne in the morning. Is shaving cream ok?

Anyone know if rollercoasters are okay about 2 weeks after lasik?

TLG James fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 5, 2011

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I don't think shaving cream smells as nice.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone know about the rollercoaster thing?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Well my Lasik procedure was an abortion.

Two days before surgery, I was told the last test revealed my eyes were even more hosed up and recommended that I get the most expensive treatment so that when (not if) I have to get a "tune up," there will be enough material to actually correct any problems after surgery. Sorry I can't remember much of the conversation with exact medical terms used.

On the day of the surgery, there was two hours of sitting around and last minute checks. Finally I was on the operating table. I couldn't relax and was tense as gently caress. I started to replay a certain scene from Dead Space 2 in my head along with all kinds of other thoughts rushing through my mind. During the countdown for the first eye, the suction cup popped off. The doctors put it back on and again the cup popped off during the next countdown. I couldn't relax at all, I started having a panic attack at that point thinking, "Oh poo poo, what if something happens during the actual procedure! OH poo poo OH poo poo!"

Right then and there, I stopped the procedure before they could start.

None of the doctors wanted to talk to me; they left me alone after freeing me from the table, which was kind of hosed up. A nurse took me to the front for my refund and I was out the door.

Drove straight to some glasses place with iodine rings around my eyes, a hosed up looking eye(from the suction cup) and refilled my eyeglasses prescription.

Two days later I'm still trying to figure everything what happened. I feel like complete poo poo about the entire experience.

I don't know if I will try to get Lasik again, my experience was definitely not normal.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 8, 2011

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

TLG James posted:

Anyone know about the rollercoaster thing?

That is definitely a question for the people at your LASIK center. I would say yes, just bring eye drops and wear sunglasses, but they might tell you to stay away from them.

Spaced
Feb 26, 2004
*bzzt*

Mr Teatime posted:

If anyone in the UK has used ultralase, can you tell me if you think their top shelf "3rd generation wavefront" is worth the extra money compared to what they describe as standard wavefront? Is it really a difference?

Sorry this was asked a few pages back but I just wanted to chime in as I've just had the Ultralase 3rd generation Wavefront.

Obviously I can't tell you what the difference in results are but I made a judgment call - these are my eyes and I want the best possible treatment so I paid the extra money. During my consultation, I didn't feel like they were trying to sell me the most expensive option, rather, it was "this is your prescription and for these kind of numbers, the Ultra Plus will be absolutely fine but the Elite will smooth out the bumps better".

Basically, it depends on how much you're willing to spend and what you'd be happy with. Hope this helps!

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
So if you have crappy eyes as a younger person (like I do) and you get corrective eye surgery (of whatever type) then later on in your 40s-50s when your eyes were going to go to poo poo anyway, you'll still need some form of glasses/contacts, though your scrip won't be as complex as it would have been if you hadn't had the surgery.

Right so far?

So my question is: I'm fine with my glasses, but I don't want to wind up doing that Senior Head Bob to try to see poo poo. Can I just wear my glasses until my eyes go (even more) to poo poo and get corrective eye surgery when I'm 40-50 and then keep wearing normal glasses instead of bi- tri-focals?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

So if you have crappy eyes as a younger person (like I do) and you get corrective eye surgery (of whatever type) then later on in your 40s-50s when your eyes were going to go to poo poo anyway, you'll still need some form of glasses/contacts, though your scrip won't be as complex as it would have been if you hadn't had the surgery.

Right so far?

So my question is: I'm fine with my glasses, but I don't want to wind up doing that Senior Head Bob to try to see poo poo. Can I just wear my glasses until my eyes go (even more) to poo poo and get corrective eye surgery when I'm 40-50 and then keep wearing normal glasses instead of bi- tri-focals?

That sounds about right. But I assume the 'normal glasses' in the last sentence than refer to reading glasses from your eyes going to poo poo due to age right?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Had it done yesterday.

Vision is at about 20/30 right now. Doctor said my vision would fluctuate in the next few weeks so its just about normal, so I'm hoping.

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title

ghostinmyshell posted:

Well, if you currently have prescription sunglasses, there's the cost of getting the lenses replaced. :c00l:

Stroke Volume
Jan 27, 2010
Does anybody find it off-putting that many of the ophthalmologist who perform these procedures never have it done on themselves. Just about every one of them that I've worked with still wears glasses or contacts.

Austinboi
Jun 10, 2009
Here's my LASIK experience.

Got it done by Dr. Dell in Austin in March or April 2010. Do your home-work and find the doctor that trains all the other ones. Also, find the one all the athletes and famous people use. You don't want to go discount shopping for LASIK. We're talking about freaking lasers to the freaking eyes here.

*Has anyone here had laser eye surgery done?
Yes.

*Do they see as well as they did with glasses?
My vision had stabilized at -3.75 in my left eye and -5.25 in my right. For those not wearing glasses, it pretty much means I can't see squat w/o glasses or contacts. (I mostly wore contacts)
I also had severe astigmatism.

*Does it hurt (before/during/after)?
Not at all. Couple of reasons for that:
1) Dr. Dell and his staff are the best of the best in Austin, so the vibe and atmosphere at his office is smoothing and relaxing.
2) His staff spend a LOT of time with you prepping you, making sure you understand exactly what's about to happen.
3) They ask for your weight and give you a healthy dose of valium to match. You basically chillax waiting for the valium to kick in.
4) Before the actual procedure they also us numbing drops so you don't feel a thing.

*I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?
It took about a year for before the starbursts from bright lights subsided. This *can* be annoying when looking at traffic-lights, but my expectation was set so I knew this could happen.

*Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which *can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)

I had dry eyes before the procedure and LASIK didn't help that one bit. In fact, my eyes are probably drier now. But again, I was told this was a likely outcome so I use eye-drops when needed. (some good medicated kind from the doc)

*Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?
I'd do it right now if I had to. I went from not seeing anything to having combined 20/15 vision. The results btw are IMMEDIATE. I am not lying when I say I got up from the table and I saw straight for the first time since I was 7 yrs old. (yes, the eyes take longer than that to heal, but the change on the cornea is immediate)

*Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?
Not really. Just keep in mind that you need to make sure your vision has stabilized. Also, please don't shop around trying to find the best deal. You don't want to do the lay-away version here. Find the best of the best.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ghostinmyshell posted:

My doc gave me a prescription for antibiotic & steroid eye drops to use afterward. That script cost me about $25 to get filled, all generic stuff.

I also really had to hit the artificial tears hard. For the first two or three months I probably went through a $12-$14 pack of Systane every week, then a box a month after that for another six months.

I went for an enhancement a year later, that time around the doctor gave me sample packs of the drops for free, and then gave me a script for Restasis to use for a month before the procedure and keep using afterward. That stuff is stupid expensive; I have really good insurance and it still cost something like $60 for a 30 day supply.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream

Austinboi posted:

Here's my LASIK experience.

Got it done by Dr. Dell in Austin in March or April 2010.

Do you mind if I ask how much it cost? I'm in Austin and thinking about getting it done and my eye doc has recommended the Mann Eye Institute but I'll also be checking out Dr. Dell.

I'm getting mixed reports about when to do it. My doc and a few others have told me to do it now while I'm young and can really enjoy being glasses free, but I have a friend who did it 6 years ago and already has to wear glasses again saying to wait until mid-30s.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Lixer posted:

I'm getting mixed reports about when to do it. My doc and a few others have told me to do it now while I'm young and can really enjoy being glasses free, but I have a friend who did it 6 years ago and already has to wear glasses again saying to wait until mid-30s.
Basically your friends eyes are not yours - perhaps they had particularly lovely eyes or an immoral surgeon treated them even though they knew their prescription was unstable. For most people the treatment does last and it is totally awesome.

immakiku
Sep 15, 2003
Smart Newbie
Question about pro:

The only benefit I've read on google that lasik has over prk is the shorter recovery time (2 days vs 2 weeks). Is that really it? How do you account for the difference in popularity that LASIK enjoys? Considering that prk doesn't involve the visceral idea of having part of your eye slightly dislocated forever?

I guess I can't do LASIK anyway because being able to do martial arts is important to me, but I want to see if there's some other reason people don't like prk..

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I asked my eye doctor about this, and he says that it wouldn't work. The way he explained it, there are two different causes behind 1) having lovely eyesight as a young person and 2) getting progressively worse eyesight as you get older due to natural aging.

Please bear with me, I'm just repeating the over-simplified explanation my doctor gave me. But essentially, young people with poor eyesight usually have something wrong with the shape of their eyes. LASIK and other surgeries change the way your eye is shaped.

However, the issue with older people is that even perfectly-shaped, 20/20 eyes become less flexible and have a harder time focusing, shifting depths from arm-length to close-up to far away, etc. The way my doctor explained it is that young people's eyes are flexible enough to easily squish and change shape in order to shift focus--so you can change between looking at something up close like a book, or something far away like a street sign. The flexibility lets young people (with good vision) see well and change depths easily. As you get older, your eyes are less flexible and have a harder time squishing and changing--so older people need the reading glasses in order to see things that are close up, even if they started out with good vision. It's just a matter of the eye itself having a harder time focusing.

(EDIT: This page from the American Optometric Association talks a little bit about how your eyes age after 40: http://www.aoa.org/x9453.xml Apparently the phenomenon itself is called presbyopia. Here's a page about presbyopia http://www.aoa.org/presbyopia.xml I honestly feel kind of shady typing out this really vague, childish-sounding explanation, so I want to make sure everyone can do their own research if they'd like)

My doctor concluded by saying that LASIK can change the shape of your eye, but it can't restore your eye's ability to squish and change focus. So we're all basically gonna need glasses when we're older anyway, because there isn't a way to address the decrease in flexibility (at least, not yet).

I'm sorry if that was really vague and hard to follow, but I suspect he already over-simplified it a bit to make sure I understood. If you have any questions, maybe a goon expert will be able to better clarify it than I could. :)

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 4, 2011

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
Dinosaur Gum
So has anyone here had the non intralase surgery, the one where they use a mechanical device rather than a laser to cut open the flap? If so, how did it go? I'm very tempted about LASIK and wavefront, but not sure about intralase.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

NaDy posted:

So has anyone here had the non intralase surgery, the one where they use a mechanical device rather than a laser to cut open the flap? If so, how did it go? I'm very tempted about LASIK and wavefront, but not sure about intralase.

I had mine done in January 2009. My surgeon used the microkeratome. I asked ahead of time about this and they said there really wasn't an appreciable difference in outcome, and that much of the popularity of Intralase was the "blade-free" marketing point.

My operation went just fine, making the flap took 20-30 seconds max. It felt really strange; it sounded like an electric shaver and I could feel the vibration. Honestly making the flap was the weirdest part of the whole affair and I think that wouldn't have changed much if I went for Intralase instead. They still have to put a suction ring on your eye and so your vision will still go dark for however long it takes them to do the work, which is what weirded me out.

Recovery time was really quick for me. I had some minor burning, like I cut onions, for the first 4-5 hours after the procedure, along with some minor sensitivity to light. By the next morning I felt just fine and was able to drive to my follow-up appointment.

Outcome-wise, I had a little residual astigmatism on one eye and went back for an enhancement a year later. It's been two and a half years and I still see great. At my last checkup I was told I have maybe a ~.25 diopter regression in the eye that didn't get the enhancement, but it's not enough for me to see any difference day-to-day.

full sex
Nov 12, 2010
I had an eye doctor appointment today and the rep for a laser eye surgery company in Toronto (TLC, if any of you have any experience with them how did you like it?) happened to be in at the office so I did a preliminary consultation with her and it looks like I've got thick juicy corneas that live for this poo poo and I'm definitely down.

I've got a question though, about if any of you know how strict their guidelines are. She told me that I shouldn't wear contact lenses for two weeks before doing the surgery, and that I should take a week off work afterward because I work in a place that is going to be dirty and gritty.

I work a week on, a week off, which works well for the recovery week because I won't actually need to take any time off for that. However, I would loving hate to wear glasses at my job and I want to avoid it if possible. Do you think I could get away with wearing contact lenses in the leadup to the surgery? I know sometimes they are overly cautious with poo poo like this.

I fancy myself a hard oval office if that helps

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

full sex posted:

However, I would loving hate to wear glasses at my job and I want to avoid it if possible. Do you think I could get away with wearing contact lenses in the leadup to the surgery? I know sometimes they are overly cautious with poo poo like this.
I fancy myself a hard oval office if that helps
No no no this is a bad idea and could end up costing you money. They will refuse point blank to do the surgery on you as your eyes won't be in a natural state. They will easily be able to tell you were wearing contacts.

Wearing glasses for a week will suck but it will be worth it when you don't need glasses or contacts again. If you work in a dusty enviroment chances are you'll get an eye infection eventually from your contacts and will have no option but to wear glasses at work anyway. If you can't motivate yourself to wear glasses for a week maybe laser eye surgery isn't for you and you should cancel.

full sex
Nov 12, 2010
Yeah I'll wear the glasses then. The lovely thing about it is that I'll have to get a new pair specifically for the two week no-contacts period, as the only pair I've got right now definitely won't hold up to any sort of abuse.

I disagree though about the eye infection due to contacts being an eventuality, I haven't had any sort of problem yet.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT
I know the dude who asked about eyedrops and costs already flipped his poo poo on his surgical experience but I figured I'd drop in and give what seems to be a worst case scenario for pre-op costs. I have blepharitis which is basically dry eyes. This can cause complications both before and after the surgery so my doctor prescribed an array of procedures and medications for the month before my surgery. I made a post in a TGD thread about blepharitis detailing it:

quote:

I just went in for an eye lasery consult as well and was told I have this. At least it's a subtle version with no large growths or anything. My doctor prescribed a shotgun approach to treating this for at least 2-3 weeks before the surgery. My surgery is July 15th and I'm starting today, but check out this poo poo:

• Lid hygeine. This is the hot compress/massage thing twice a day as well as baby shampoo.
  • Optive drops, artificial tears to be put in at least twice a day 5 minutes before...
  • Restasis! Also twice a day. This is a .05% cyclosporin solution which is an immunosuppressant. Apparently it helps with conjunctival and corneal inflammation related to dry eyes. The nurse told me I can pretty easily extend a 1 month supply to 4 months by not throwing away the vial until it's empty. They also gave me a prescription discount thing so I'll save like $25 my first month. Not sure if I'll be taking it longer. Walgreens prescription discount has this at like $140 a month (4 months...), so $115 for my first subscription.
  • Azasite, once a day before bed time. This is 1% opthalmic azithromycin that is apparently pretty thick, probably meant to deal with possible bacterial causes of blepharitis as it is an anti-biotic. Not using it as an eyedrop but applying to where my lids come together. This one isn't as bad as Restasis, Walgreens price was like $75. My girlfriend is allergic to azithromycin so I guess she can't lick my eyes at night or something.
  • Oracea! gently caress my wallet! This is expensive as poo poo! I have no insurance! Thank god I'm counting it as part of the surgery cost! This is a 40mg slow release doxycycline taken once a day. It's for treating inflammation related to rosacea. It's also $437 a month. If this is the cause of my dry eyes I will remove them, it would be cheaper in the long run.

So my entire one month cost of pre-treatment is $627 plus whatever Optive or similar artificial tears will run me. It also seems to try and hit every cause of the blepharitis to try and get some normal tear production going in time for the surgery. Interesting in a "this is most of the ways to treat this poo poo" kind of way.

If this sort of thing is going to be necessary post surgery (where I know I'll be getting at least an anti-biotic, a steroid and a vicodin prescription) I am definitely going to have to find some prescription drug coverage of some sort. American healthcare rules. I'm also considering buying a cane and adopting a bad attitude to go along with my inevitable vicodin habit.

I also updated later with the actual prices of the medication: Oracea $437/mo, Restasis $278/mo (although maybe divide by 4 if the stretching the prescription thing works) and Azasite $180/mo. This comes to $895/mo for the full spectrum. These are also the Walgreens prescription savings plan prices (except the Oracea) which is the best I have with no insurance. Including this as part of the surgery cost allows me to justify it for at least the initial month but there is no way I can comfortably afford this regimen on a regular basis.

I'm also going in for PRK because I have anterior basement membrane dystrophy which results in small deposits on the cornea. According to the doctor folding the flap back could cause scratches or abrasions on the cornea from these deposits so PRK would be safer. Also I don't have to worry about a flap or anything so I guess that's nice.

My surgery cost is $1850 per eye which was the same for PRK or LASIK and with the state of Minnesota tax on elective surgeries it comes out to $3774. With the pre-op meds included I'm looking at $4669 all told. A bit pricey but the surgery cost itself is being 0% financed for 24 months so it's less of a hit. If I get full 20/20 or better without glasses though it'll all be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

full sex posted:

Yeah I'll wear the glasses then. The lovely thing about it is that I'll have to get a new pair specifically for the two week no-contacts period, as the only pair I've got right now definitely won't hold up to any sort of abuse.
Sucks but if you look at it long term it will save you money so just get a cheap rear end pair of specs to tide you over for a few weeks.

full sex posted:

I disagree though about the eye infection due to contacts being an eventuality, I haven't had any sort of problem yet.
you said you work in a dusty enviroment so you are more at risk from eye infections. You may not have had any problems yet but you have more chance than most. Lots of people wear lens for decades without a problem and then eyes eventually start giving up on then, by which stage it is awful having to go back to glasses fulltime as you're so used to being without them.

Monkeybot have you always had dry eyes?

• Locked thread