Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm in the middle of the whole three-weeks of glasses before I get LASIK. I go next Monday for the final exam.then hopefully get it done on Friday, I went last week and they said it should be no big deal.

My contacts are both -9.00 but I have a little bit of astigmatism. A little more in one eye than the other. I've worn glasses since 1st grade (switched to contacts around high school) so this will be huge.

I really, really hate wearing these glasses. They're a couple years old so the one eye that has the worse astigmatism is just a little bit blurry. Plus they're small so I have a very limited field of view. I was getting headaches on the computer all day but I think I've gotten past the worst of that.

I'd just love to not have to use 13 point fonts all the time or have to squint and do double-takes all the time.

I never had really good vision super up close with contacts. I was trying to remove a link in a watch for my brother and he basically said "You really are blind, aren't you?". It's very frustrating to not be able to see sometimes.

I'm hoping for 20/20, it would be amazing to have that without glasses or contacts. But I'd be happy if they come anywhere near it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I got 'approved' on Monday, getting it done tomorrow afternoon. Custom with the wavefront etc, $6000 :(

They dilated my eyes on Monday morning and it didn't go back to normal for almost 48 hours. Ugh. Sucked because I couldn't read magazines or a computer screen without zooming my browser into like 1600% or something.

My pupils are small and corneas are thick so they said I should be 20/30 when they're done.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

4 hours to go. There was a huge LASER VISION van parked at a hotel this morning, about a block from where I'm getting it done.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Got home about 3:30, just woke up after a nap. Eyes burn. Feels like there is sand in them, they're red, and the tears are flowing. But I can pretty much see.

The actual operation was quick and fairly painless, the flap cutting was like taking contacts in/out with tweezers, sorta weird.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SinJin posted:

Bout all you can do at the moment is try to go take another nap. In a few more hours all of that burning will be gone.

Yea it's pretty much gone now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's almost been three weeks, I'm finally starting to be satisified with where my vision is at. My low-light vision sucks still, and I have halos pretty bad, but it's only been three weeks. I use eyedrops a couple times a day but the dryness is a lot better than it was last week.

I did lose my amazing without glasses up-close vision though :( I can't focus on anything closer than about 4-5 inches

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Soulex posted:

You and me both :highfive: you aren't armed service are you?

No sir.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's been almost a year and a half since I had wavefront LASIK. I still have a tiny bit of astigmatism in my left eye, which is pretty annoying. My contact prescription was around 9.50 in both eyes (one slightly worse) before the procedure.

My eyes are still pretty dry so I keep eye drops around and probably give myself a squirt 4-6 times a day. I love not having to mess around with glasses or contacts. For some reason I can't see jack poo poo at night or in low light situations. It's also slightly annoying when using a camera, it's very hard to tell if something is 'in focus' using the viewfinder.

I'm considering getting reading/computer glasses to try and sharpen things up but the doctor almost refused to give me an eye exam.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tannin posted:

My prescription is pretty terrible (-8/-7.5 contacts) but they told me that I have thick corneas and that I'd be a great candidate for wave front LASIK. From what I can tell, they only do the wave front LASIK procedure, and there was no mention of PRK, which seemed kind of odd, but maybe that's normal. Is LASIK an acceptable substitute for PRK and does this seem legit?

I was 9.0 and they had to do wavefront

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's been about 3-4 years since I had LASIK done, I was -9.00 in each eye with a little bit of astigmatism.

Anyway, my vision was never 20/20 afterwards but I could legally drive without glasses and it never really bothered me. We weren't expecting 100% results because of how bad my vision was and how thin my corneas were. But lately I've been squinting a ton trying to see the score if a game is on TV or even at the computer, and when I drive I can't read street signs until I'm pretty close to them. So I've made an appointment with the eye doctor to go get checked out and see what my options are.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mine was 6,000 for both eyes. I needed laser cut flaps and the wavefront laser

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Zogo posted:

Yea, at -9 in both eyes it'd be really hard to get you to maintain close to 20/20 with one surgery.

Depending on your age/eyes a second surgery would likely be a lot more precise as I'm sure you're seeing far better than -9 right now.

I got glasses a month ago, and went back today to get re-evaluated for LASIK. After 3 hours of tests, they are going to do PRK on my right eye next month. He's taking half off so it will only be $1250.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have had two eye exams already this year, and they want me to go for a third one this Thursday, a week before my PRK. Ugh.

Wouldn't be so bad if I ended up being at the eye doctor until 11:30am when I have a 9:00am appointment. Would it kill the doctor to get there at 8:00am? Fucks up my whole morning at work and if they dilate my eyes again it fucks me for a good 36 hours.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Have you had the exam where they paralyze your pupils or is that not something they do for PRK? I thought I could go back to work after that one but had to take off the whole day because I couldn't focus my eyes at all for close to 24 hours.

Dilate your pupils. 3 loving times at 3 different exams. Hate that poo poo.

I went to my appointment today, only 3 people were there to have it done so it went quick. The one alcohol eyedrop burns like a mother but it went pretty quick and I'm just chilling at home with my goggles on and I got back in the morning to get checked up, then back on Monday.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Been almost 3 weeks and the PRK appears to have healed up but my vision in that eye is no better than it was before. Going for another appointment on Friday and if it doesn't get any better than this I'm going to be pissed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Been almost 3 weeks and the PRK appears to have healed up but my vision in that eye is no better than it was before. Going for another appointment on Friday and if it doesn't get any better than this I'm going to be pissed.

Had my 6 month checkup this week. I've healed up great and I'm 20/25 in both eyes so I'm pretty happy. The eye I had PRK 'focuses' a little differently and I'm still getting the hang of it.

As far as PRK vs LASIK goes, the recovery process of LASIK is so much easier and faster. PRK recovery sucked.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

PRK is not like LASIK in my experience, and I did both. LASIK was effectively healed overnight and I was 100% fine. PRK took about a month before my vision was corrected, and I had no discomfort in that eye.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, the end result is fantastic for PRK and it is completely worth it. But don't sell it as if it's the same thing as LASIK, it's a different procedure and expectations should be set accordingly.

Yea, your vision is mostly back to normal in 2-3 days with LASIK and hosed for a couple weeks with PRK. I also had both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mantle posted:

Why did you have to do both and in what order? Other than the heal time, how was the effectiveness?

I had LASIK in both, PRK in just one eye about 3-4 years after to touch up some astigmatism

• Locked thread