Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No End to Gulps
Aug 19, 2006

Go home and be a family man
I have my surgery on Saturday, I'm very excited.

I had the same tests the person above mentioned. The pressure test (pen hitting your eye), and everything else they throw at you. If your vision is highly refracted, expect to have your pupils dialated on the pre-test (I'm Canadian, so all I know is my eyes are near sighted @ left -6.50 and right -7.00).

I had lots of cornea, but I have a larger pupil so they recommended the waveform lasik, instead of the regular lasik. I guess waveform is a more custom form of the lasik, fyi. It's more expensive so I'm sure they have no problem suggesting waveform to customers *rolls eyes.

I plan on bringing an mp3 player and some podcasts or some music to the place. Apparently I'm there for about 4-5 hours, even though the surgery is 10-15 mins long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No End to Gulps
Aug 19, 2006

Go home and be a family man
So, its been almost 2 weeks (2 weeks saturday coming) since they lasered my eyeballs. I guess I enjoy out of the ordinary things like this, so I went into the whole thing with excitment and intrigue.

You can pretty much call the whole process uncomfortable. My only advice is to prepare yourself for the blackout part of the operation. When the surgeon sucks your eyeball into the contraption, the pressure on the eye causes you to lose your vision. It reminded me of fainting or passing out, and that feeling sort of makes me queasy, so I felt sick as he was doing it and a little queasy there after.
Don't forget to breath too. Very imporant, because I think I held my breath the entire time.

When I got off the table, my vision was obviously more refined, but everything was still blurry - like being underwater blurry. So as you can guess, the surgeon will tell you that that is very normal.

The only thing for me, is that the next day, things were still pretty blurry. And a week later, my vision is still unnacceptably blurry. I had double vision yesterday in my right eye, but today that actually seems to be getting better. I was told that my eyes were very dry and inflammed, so blurryness and double vision is very much to be expected. I don't and didn't feel any pain, just the usual dryness after a night of sleep.

What I want to make clear here is that this is not looking to be a one shot deal for me. The surgeon's were saying, at first, something like "50/50 chance you'll either need to go under again or you'll just have to give it more time" and "but I've been pleasantly surprised with people coming back to me a few weeks later, after the cornea has fully healed, seeing 20/20". So that sort of sucks, but I'm not a big baby about it - it is what it is.

If youre a blind motherfucker like myself (ie. high prescription) - be prepared with the possibility of having to go under the laser twice or more (i'm now hearing stories of multiple flap cuts from people). On yesterday's visit, the surgeon told me that they'll write a prescription for glasses until my eyes are fully healed, enough to make the second cut, because right now, lol, I probably shouldn't be behind the wheel.

In hindsight, the idea of the flap annoys me for some reason. I want to believe that the flap heals just as solid as before it was cut, because god knows I've rubbed my eyes like a banchee before, especially if I'm around an allergen.
I'm locked into a lifetime of surgery with this place, so touch-ups are free.

I wonder if I asked for PKR, would they oblige? gently caress this flap poo poo.

Anyone have any thoughts? Any positive advice telling me my eyes will come through and I won't need to go under again?

• Locked thread