Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
asteroceras you should have asked at the consultation could you get valium for it - you could have easily got some from your GP for the procedure if you were nervous about it. Sounds like you had a traumatic experience as the surgeon had problems cutting your flap so your enjoyment of your new vision is tarnished.

Beep Street fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Rarity posted:

Anyway, my questions:
- What are the risks of getting LASIK? How likely is that to happen?
- Can LASIK fix double vision?
- How long is the recovery time?
- How long does the procedure take?
- Is it painful?

Thanks for any help you can give!
If safety is your concern make sure you go to a reputable company with a low complication rate. It is really safe. You might get a bloodshot eye if you're unlucky, thats the worst I've seen happen to someone.

It can't fix double vision I'm afraid.

Depends what treatment you go for but standard recovery time is 48 hours. If you want the fastest healing time go for the intralase treatment.

It takes about half a minute per eye. It isn't sore during the treatment but you will have some minor discomfort for a few days. Totally worth it though, especially if you're heavily dependent on your glasses right now.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Lixer posted:

I'm getting mixed reports about when to do it. My doc and a few others have told me to do it now while I'm young and can really enjoy being glasses free, but I have a friend who did it 6 years ago and already has to wear glasses again saying to wait until mid-30s.
Basically your friends eyes are not yours - perhaps they had particularly lovely eyes or an immoral surgeon treated them even though they knew their prescription was unstable. For most people the treatment does last and it is totally awesome.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

full sex posted:

However, I would loving hate to wear glasses at my job and I want to avoid it if possible. Do you think I could get away with wearing contact lenses in the leadup to the surgery? I know sometimes they are overly cautious with poo poo like this.
I fancy myself a hard oval office if that helps
No no no this is a bad idea and could end up costing you money. They will refuse point blank to do the surgery on you as your eyes won't be in a natural state. They will easily be able to tell you were wearing contacts.

Wearing glasses for a week will suck but it will be worth it when you don't need glasses or contacts again. If you work in a dusty enviroment chances are you'll get an eye infection eventually from your contacts and will have no option but to wear glasses at work anyway. If you can't motivate yourself to wear glasses for a week maybe laser eye surgery isn't for you and you should cancel.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

full sex posted:

Yeah I'll wear the glasses then. The lovely thing about it is that I'll have to get a new pair specifically for the two week no-contacts period, as the only pair I've got right now definitely won't hold up to any sort of abuse.
Sucks but if you look at it long term it will save you money so just get a cheap rear end pair of specs to tide you over for a few weeks.

full sex posted:

I disagree though about the eye infection due to contacts being an eventuality, I haven't had any sort of problem yet.
you said you work in a dusty enviroment so you are more at risk from eye infections. You may not have had any problems yet but you have more chance than most. Lots of people wear lens for decades without a problem and then eyes eventually start giving up on then, by which stage it is awful having to go back to glasses fulltime as you're so used to being without them.

Monkeybot have you always had dry eyes?

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

The Gay Bean posted:

Whoever says that surgeons never go under the knife is wrong. The clinic I went to didn't have an employee there who wore any kind of corrective lens.
Most providers offer it for free to their staff so they know how awesome it is. I work for a company that provides laser eye surgery and could get it done for free, except I'm 20/20 anyway so don't need it.

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

Getting LASIK Intralase Wavefront done next month and am pretty excited. I was initially going to go for the mechanical option of cutting the flap but it was freaking me out a bit so I opted to pay a little more for the best treatment.
The mechanical option is totally fine however the main benefit of intralase is that the healing time is so much quicker.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

Kinda pissed right now.
Was booked in to have LASIK today but the surgeon said I wasn't suitable for it as I've recently had problems with Blepharitis (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3418046).

I told them about this in the consultation weeks ago but for some reason it wasn't added to my notes which is a bit worrying.

I guess I need to go do some more research on LASEK then as he recommended this because of the smaller chance of infection for someone with my condition.
That sucks. Had they told you at the consult you weren't suitable for it fine but it must have got your hopes up preparing for the surgery. However at least they refused to do the surgery rather than just doing it without caring about the consequences for you.

If it was me I'd wait a while and then go to another company as they clearly didn't listen/notice what was up with your eyes in the first place.

You should look into Lasik with intralase as that has the fastest recovery time.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Waarg posted:

Looking at the Ultralase Price List can anyone explain the difference between 'Ultra Elite' and 'Ultra Plus'. Obviously I want the best treatment available, but I'd prefer not to splash out £1000 more unnecessarily. The page for the treatment seems to suggest that the Wavefront machine is more up to date? Is that the only difference? How big of a difference does that make?
I'd certainly recommend getting intralase and wavefront but paying an extra grand for a more advanced wavefront seems a bit steep when the results from wavefront in general are pretty drat good anyhow. If you need totally amazing superhuman vision for a particular reason I think it would be worth paying it but if you just want to get rid of your glasses and see normally than the standard wavefront is just fine. Intralase is well worth paying for as it is way more precise than a surgeon hacking at your eyeball with a blade and it heals much quicker too.

Laser eye surgery companies in the UK can only really compete with the brands of their lasers, they all get good results at the end of the day and all have high standards. You should take the time to go to consultations at a few different companies as the prices really can vary. Ultralase are one of the most expensive and if you have a small prescription you're basically subsidising those with high prescriptions by paying their one size fits all price.

The forums on Moneysavingexpert is quite a good place for discussions on how to get a good price.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Andorei posted:

So, I have 8mm pupils even on sunny days and the like so I'm assuming I'd get halos pretty severely. It is not caused by medication, I've had large pupils my whole life and I don't know the cause, there probably isn't one. Knowing this, is there a corrective surgery open to me that would not have complications?
You should get checked out for it. If laser isn't an option because of your massive pupils you can get lens replacement. It's actually better than laser in that there is no risk of cataracts when you're older. Costs a lot more though.

Beep Street fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 22, 2012

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Myrddin If you were at major risk from a knock to the eye (say if you were a boxer or something) Lasek or PRK would be recommended for you instead of Lasik. It's much grosser and requires a blade but safer long term. With Lasik you should be fine for most sports after a month or so. The main complications of laser eye surgery is infection whilst the eye is healing. It's unlikely the flap can come loose as a hinge is created so it can't just fall off during the treatment or after. The flap might wrinkle slightly when healing (I believe this causes the most flap problems) but this can be corrected with another surgery they can just reposition it easily.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I'm a computer programmer, so there's not much risk there. I used to play hockey, but I don't anymore and that was with a full face mask anyway.
The flap DOES heal though? I've read online anything from "it never does and you're at risk your whole life" or "it takes 18 months to fully heal and then is more or less ok".
PRK sounds scary. I would never use a blade, either.
It does heal. You should be more concerned about it wrinkling up when it is healing in the first few weeks. If the surgery was seriously risky this thread would be full of people who have had the treatment moaning about their lovely flapless eyes.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Is hits to the HEAD the problem, or hits directly to the eye?
I do play tennis, which for some reason I've seen listed as a sport you'd have to wear goggles for FOREVER after Lasik. That seems ridiculous to me.
Hits to the eye directly but you're naturally protective of your eyes so not very likely to happen. Certain contact sports and jobs are flagged as risky, the surgery centre would of course ask you about your lifestyle to make sure you're getting the right treatment done.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Zvezda posted:

I'm leaning towards their Ultra Elite surgery because they say it will improve my night vision. Currently I get halos and all that at night around lights but they would smooth out all those aberrations that cause them. It'd be incredible if true because right now I'm not comfortable driving at night. I'm EXCITED!
All three big providers in the UK have the technology to get rid of halos, ultra elite is five grand you might get the same treatment for cheaper elsewhere. Shop around!

Myrddin you won't blink because you get drops that numb your eyes so you don't feel the urge to blink.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

alwayslost posted:

However he said there is still hope, that I could get an ICL -- implantable contact lens. Has anyone had this or know anything about it? He gave me some info to look over and contact him again if I was interested. Seems to be much newer than LASIK but since its an actual lens, you can generally get better initial results since the doc has exact control over the prescription of the lens going in.
Implanted lens have actually been around a lot longer than Lasik. In the last five or years or so they've become more available commercially to correct a prescription. The procedure is the same as cataract surgery which is the most common surgery in the world so there is a wealth of experience. The lens can be removed so you're not stuck with it for life or anything. If you can afford it it is well worth the money.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

McScumbag posted:

My biggest problem is I cant keep my eyes open to put contacts in. Just something about putting something in my eye.

Could this gently caress with getting the lasik surgery done?
Not at all. Your eyes are held open during the surgery.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

CoderCat posted:

I went for an initial assessment with an Optometrist today and was told I was fit for LASIK. Corneal thickness looked fine. However, I was told astigmatism changed slightly during the last couple of years. I'll see a surgeon in 3 weeks and he'll give the final approval for the surgery. I really want to get this done. Myopia is my main problem (-5 in each eye). Should I be worried that my eyes aren't stable yet?
It depends how dramatically your eyes have changed in the last year or so. A small gradual change would be less of a problem than had they changed from say -1 to -5. I'd go with a company that will offer to do a free top up treatment if your eyes change after the surgery.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

CoderCat posted:

Thanks for your answer. The clinic I'm with does offer a "lifetime" guarantee of remedial treatment.

These offers are never a lifetime no glasses. In the first year or two companies tend to do an enhancement treatment for free if needed which is fair.

From what I can gather you have to attend all your check up appointments and have a test every year to qualify for "free" lifetime treatment. even if you've been good and attended all the appointments you'll probably have to pay something for more surgery in 20 years or so. The technology will have moved on more so you'll have to pay something to use the new treatments available. This is what I assume is going to happen because it makes little business sense to guarantee someone's eyesight for the rest of their life.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

The healing time for bladeless is quicker thus less risk of infection and complications. If you can afford to drop the money on it do, if money is an issue keratome will do the job fine.

As for wavefront, it is only an extra few hundred dollars so again if you can afford it go for it. Especially if you get bad night vision or glare.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Kluliss posted:

Not sure if I can ask this here, but do any UK goons have any info on which is the best-recommended laser eye surgery (in the north east for preference as I'm Newcastle based)

I've been looking through websites and testimonials but they're all equally 'Yay this place was awesome' and I can't decide if it's because they are all equally good, or if they've gone with good PR.

If anyone has any ideas on how to narrow my search, or if there's a place they'd specifically recommend because of quality of procedure and service/niceness of doctors, that'd be great.
All companies have really high standards in the UK, it's not like any of them can get you drastically better eyesight than the next. Best advice is go to the big three providers for an appointment and see what they can offer you. They can show you profiles of their surgeons. You spend very little time with the surgeon anyhow.
The trick is to play the companies off against each other to get a good deal.

Moneysavingexpert is a very unbiased forum and there is a very long thread about laser surgery which should have recommendations for Newcastle in there.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=194675

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Kluliss posted:

Thanks :) I ended up going with Optical Express (really good aftercare and they've told me free 2-yearly eye-tests for life)

I got it all done on Wednesday, Lasik Intralase with Wavefront, and I have to say I am amazed. It's now just about 3 days since I got it done, the next day I had slightly better than 20/20 vision - I'm looking forward to another test later next week, as hopefully some of the fuzziness will have gone by then too.

I can't see to read all that well yet - it tires my eyes out really easily, and I know I might have a few months of that before it all settles down.

Grossest thing about this: waking up in the morning and discovering all the drops have glued your eyes shut. Yay for having an understanding fiancé!
Whoops, I didn't notice how old your question was. Good to hear you are happy. What was your prescription before you got it done? It is totally normal for your eyes to be tired and gunky for a while after, make sure you go to all your checks in the first year and you should be fine.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Beep Street fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 28, 2012

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Beep Street fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 28, 2012

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Kluliss posted:

Mine was £2800 for wavefront fancy-pants surgery with a prescription of -2.25 and -2.75 left/right respectively. So if you have less to be done than that, it'll be cheaper, more, it'll be more. Honestly, I am happy enough with that cost given that for the rest of my life I am unlikely to need glasses for distance vision, and the reading side of it is settling down nicely after 4 months so I'm not using my reading glasses as much now.
The cost isn't just judged by the sphere of your prescription it is also the cylinder (astigmatism). So one person could be -1 sphere and pay the starting price yet another person could be -1 with a massive astigmatism which only wavefront mapping can sort so they have to pay more. Also if you have thin corneas you'd need lasek (ouch) or Intralase (more costly).

ibntumart posted:

Fellow PRK Goons, did any of you need touch-up surgery later on within the first year? My left eye was briefly at 20/20 and now is 20/25. My right eye was also 20/20 for a bit, but the vision became blurry after a couple of months. I don't know if the epithelium can grow back wrong and cause this issue or if it usually means another visit with the excimer laser.
I'm going in for my six-month check-up in January. Just wondering if this is common and what I can expect if the vision doesn't correct itself (guessing it won't at this stage).
I've not had PRK aka Lasek but I work in the industry. It isn't possible for the epithelial to grow back wrong. What has probably happened is your eyes are developing a new prescription. This happens to a small percentage of people and is nothing to panic about. You will be advised at your check if they'll do it again shortly or you may need to wait for your eyes to stabilise before they'll touch it up for you.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

My doctor said I was not eligible for LASIK or PRK because my left cornea was too thin and fragile or something. The right eye is OK, but when he tried to touch it with his probe I couldn't suppress my wince reflex, and he told me I couldn't be operated on.
There is a small chance that another place could do it if they have more advanced lasers than the doctor you just went to. The place I work has shithot technology and we get to treat lots of patients that were deemed unsuitable by other companies.

Also you could possibly get phakic intraocular lens if you're under 40. It's a permanent lens placed in your eye so rather than tissue being removed from your very thin cornea a lens is simply placed on top.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Maximusi posted:

My brother got it done twice. Once with LASIK, the second time with PRK (a year after). He had bad complications, but he was stupid and went to an eye surgeon who didn't really do laser stuff. He did the PRK with a famous eye doctor in the san jose area. He said it was quite painful.
I doubt it was as simple as your brother being stupid and the surgeon "didn't do laser stuff". All surgeons have to be fully qualified to perform the surgery. Probably what happened was your brother got Lasik the first time round, it was undercorrected or his eyes changed again (happens sometimes). Guessing he had a massive prescription to begin with.

On the second attempt it was decided it wouldn't be a good idea to create another flap and they had to opt for PRK instead.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

EightBit posted:

Getting a consult tomorrow, hopefully this place won't give me the pushy sales tactic that Manrique gave me earlier this year (and wanted like $6000 dollars :wtc:).
I hate that poo poo. If I ran a clinic I wouldn't even allow people to book on the day of the consultation unless they 100% asked for it. Most clinic staff have stupid conversion targets so they can come across quite pushy. It bites them in the rear end when people don't book as a result of feeling pushed or do book but end up cancelling the next day as they felt pressured.

Anyhow you're more likely to be offered a better deal if you don't book on the day. It works out cheaper for clinics to discount for people they already know are suitable for surgery compared to the cost of marketing for new customers.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

A good surgeon doesn't have to have done millions of Lasik surgeries. I'd go for someone that has a lot of experience with eye surgery in general. Look for someone that has memberships of a few medical organisations. Some surgeons also write papers and do research, that is usually a good sign they know their poo poo. Most of the work is done by the technology anyway so as well as comparing surgeons check out what lasers they're using. You could have the best surgeon in the world but you'll get lovely results if they're using an outdated laser.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Aleph Null posted:

I'm 38 years old have terrible vision (-6.00 -1.25X178; -6.75 -0.75X152), astigmatism in both eyes, and a lazy eye. Should I even bother considering something like LASIK at this point?
Sure you can! The guidelines are up to -12 sphere and -6 astigmatism. If you have a lazy eye that can't ever be fixed but your prescription certainly could be. A surgeon would be realistic about the outcome with you before going ahead. In some cases it might not be possible to get you 20/20 first try however your dependency on glasses would be reduced. Surgeons prefer to do enhancements on some patients with high prescriptions rather than totally overcorrecting. It's like putting a golf ball in the hole, it's easier to do a few small taps instead of overshooting.

Regardless of having the surgery or not you will develop the need for reading glasses in your 40's/50's.

Beep Street fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 20, 2013

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Totally Normal posted:

luckily for you they'll most likely give you some valium/xanax/benzo to keep you calm, which is also the best (pharmacological) way to kill/prevent panic attacks
just tell them you're prone to panic attacks and they'll dope you up all good
It's totally normal in America to be offered happy pills but clinics don't dish them out in the UK. If you want them you need to get them from your own GP and should only take them AFTER advising your surgeon on the day of surgery. If you're not arsed going to your doctor for a prescription just tell the staff you are nervous as hell and they will be very understanding. Ask them to hold your hand and count down the time when the laser is working, they know exactly how many seconds it takes.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Galsia posted:

I called the clinic and they said that taking a Valium before the procedure is fine but I can't take it until I have signed the consent form. The procedure takes place immediately after signing the form. I understand that it takes at least an hour before it takes effect so doing so would be pointless. Should I just take it an hour before the procedure and not inform them
I've not been watching the thread so far too late to advise you but just so you know in the UK surgeons want to meet you totally sober and have you sign the consent form before you take anything. In America it is the norm for them to dish out pills like candy to patients. How did it go anyway?

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Naramyth posted:

You shouldn't be reading before the operation. :v:
Why? I have never heard this before.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Naramyth posted:

When they were measuring my eyes they couldn't get a good read because my eyes would keep jumping back and forth. They asked me if I had caffeine (yup morning coffee) and if I was reading before coming in (yup surfing SA in the waiting room). They had to measure my right eye the day of instead the week before because of that. So I didn't read or have coffee before coming in for the procedure.
WTF? You must have insanely jittery eyes or maybe a very strong reaction to caffeine? No laser surgery companies that I'm aware of ask customers not to read or drink coffee before the consultation or the surgery.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

89 posted:

I had my surgery yesterday and I can see drat well out of my left eye, but my right eye is blurry. When I went in for my check up today they said the flaps look absolutely perfect and everything looks great, just my right eye has some swelling. Which, should go away. Anybody here have that problem?

Also, how long should I take these prescribed eye drops? A week? Olfoxacin & Prednisolone.
Did you have intralase? A lot of people get swelling from the suction. As for drops probably a week but you should call the clinic and check. Did they not even tell you how long to use drops for? Some clinics give you written instructions so you don't forget.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

89 posted:

I believe it was interlase as I had suction on my eyes to keep my eyelids open.

The suction is not to keep eyelids in place it is to keep your eyeball in place whilst a laser creates a flap. There should have been clamps for your eyelids.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

89 posted:

So, what's the general idea on drinking after LASIK? I've seen things that have claimed you can drink 48 hours after the procedure....all the way to waiting 3 weeks. I'm not planning on getting poo poo hammered, but when's the next time I can go have a few beers with the friends one night?
With intralase the flap should be fully sealed within 2-4 days. The reason some companies say don't drink for 3 weeks is so you don't get drunk off your rear end, fall and knock your eyeballs out or something and then try and blame them for your lovely decisions. If you feel ok and your vision is fine after a few days you should be fine to have some beers.

It's amazing how many people ask if they can have a drink BEFORE the procedure. :negative:

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

TheKeeper posted:

Going for my initial eye exam tomorrow at Lasik Plus. One thing I've seen a lot of while browsing through this thread is LASIK is a wonderful thing to get if you're 35 or younger. I'm 37 and have a relatively light prescription for myopia. Is it being suggested that at my age this will only provide me with better vision for only a few years before regressing? Or that there is a higher chance of it not working at all?

I'm thinking custom waveform is the way to go, if it's worth doing.
It should work fine. Most companies treat people with lasik up to the age of 70. You will need glasses for reading small print in about ten years time but that will happen anyway.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

ibntumart posted:

It's not that big a deal making a tiny correction, is it? I was legally blind before the surgery, so the surgeon had some room to leave for adjustments (or so I'm telling myself).
If you had a massive prescription to begin with it sounds like they're giving you the right treatment.

Imagine that getting 20/20 is like trying to get a golf ball into a hole. For high prescriptions it is much better to putt the ball in the hole gradually compared to just taking one shot and overshooting by a mile.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

dantheman650 posted:

I'm getting LASEK this December and will be traveling to Thailand two weeks afterward. I've seen different recommendations all over about how long one should avoid swimming for. Most doctors' sites say two weeks but a few I saw go up to a month. They are my eyes and I won't do anything stupid to compromise them, but I would like to swim while I'm there. I read that the danger at that point is not necessarily the water, but post-swim eye rubbing. What are your experiences?
Assuming you are complication free two weeks is plenty of time for your eyes to heal. The no swimming rule is because of the risk of infection from dirt/germs in the water. Pack some eye drops in your hand luggage for the flight.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Where I work we tell the ladies no make up of any kind for a week afterwards. It's to stop any particles getting in your eyes and causing an infection whilst the flap is still healing. The flap is normally sealed about 3 days after surgery. This is assuming you have lasik and don't have any complications of course. Lasek is two weeks.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Eris posted:

Stay away from Dello Russo. He wanted to do LASIK on me when 3 other docs agreed that I wasn't a candidate. (I had PRK a month ago.)
Just to point out he may not be some sort of eye butcher, he could just have better equipment than the other 3 doctors you saw. Some intralase lasers remove a lot less tissue when creating the flap compared to others. YMMV depending on the doctors equipment and their own personal opinion. Some surgeons prefer ik to ek and vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Did you have anything up with your eyes before the surgery like a lazy eye? What was your prescription before surgery and what is it now?

It sounds like you no longer have a dominant eye if you are constantly changing between eyes.

• Locked thread