Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LizzardTooth
Sep 6, 2006
To respond to the original Op:

I had pretty severe short-sightedness and astigmatism. Both eyes.

To answer your questions in order:

Has anyone here had laser eye surgery done?
Yes i did get lasik (ilasik the clinic called it). 3k per eye roughly in NZ$

Do they see as well as they did with glasses?
I see better than i did with glasses. Its blurry right after but that cleared up in under a day.

Does it hurt (before/during/after)?
The anaesthetic burns a bit and then you dont feel pain exactly. Its not a pleasant sensation but its not acutely painful. Depending on the surgery you may feel pressure. The oddest bit for me was watching the cornea getting brushed back into place after because i couldn't feel a blessed thing. You will be very sensitive to light straight after.

I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?
I can't say I noticed a difference in my night driving. Reduction in night vision was mentioned.

Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)
I work with a computer primarily all day everyday five days a week. Aside from residual dryness which the clinic will warn you about and provide drops for, its been fine. I used to get contacts drying out doing this which is why i primarily eventually stopped wearing them.

Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?
Hell Yes.

Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?
In response to your last question, there are some things. In high-order corrections you may need to get a follow up procedure in six months. Certain conditions can complicate the surgery. Ask the clinic, they will have this information. If they do not, find another clinic. Burst blood vessels happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread