Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn
This is a good thread so I'm contributing to rescue it from page 4 or so.

I had lasik or lasek (don't remember which) with Wavefront eight days ago and this is what one of my eyes looked like 24 hours later:

There is more blood below and to the side of the iris; the area above is just the biggest bit. It still looks roughly the same but both my eyes feel fine and the only visual issue is that I still have haloes at night, which I was warned about before surgery (and told they will go after some weeks, along with the blood in the eyes).

Each eye is now slightly better than 20/20 and with both together I can see as well as 20/12 in good conditions, which is far better than when I used glasses/contacts. A fun party trick is to read size 10 Arial from two metres away in sub-ideal lighting.

I have no problem using a computer or my phone and I can still focus quite close, though I used to be able to focus closer. I have found that driving is annoying, as the imperfections in the windscreen, i.e. tiny ripples in the glass, are distracting.

I got free Intralase on one eye as the surgeon had difficulty using the microkerathingy on that eye. I had to have Wavefront due to my unusually large pupils, though Wavefront was half the reason for wanting laser surgery anyway.

I was not offered any valium/etc and the procedure was extremely unpleasant (though not painful) and I imagine a large proportion of people would not be able to handle it; I never heard mention of tranquilisers beforehand, so maybe they aren't used in the UK, which sucks if you are at all squeamish.

After going home on public transport and on foot with my eyes shut, then taking a short sleep, I was able to do everything as if I had not just had surgery.

Overall I would say I am very happy but still underwhelmed, as I had been hoping for even more sharpness, though I am told that my vision should still improve slightly in the next few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If it wasn't painful, how was it unpleasant?

Imagine lying on a bed, having your eyelids clamped open like in "A Clockwork Orange" while a guy cuts open the front of your eye, then you see him use a brush to fold the flap of eye to the side. Then your vision goes black and a noisy laser machine zaps the inside of your eye and you can smell your eye burning. Then the surgeon brushes the eye flap back into place and you still have one more eye left to do.
It's really horrible.

I checked and it turns out I had Lasik not Lasek. I think Lasek would have been the last resort if they could not get the Intralase to work on the eye that they couldn't microkerathingy.

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Doesn't seem that bad really. If something isn't painful, it can't be that bad.

Have you tried waterboarding?

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn
The thing is, I'm not a squeamish person...
I went into the operating room relaxed and calm and intended to stay that way. I should note that my head was not clamped or strapped, so I was very conscious of not wanting to move. When I was lying there experiencing the procedure and following the instructions of the surgery team (there were 4 of them) I was imagining how bad it must be for someone who really is nervous and squeamish about having their eyes cut open.
I did not panic and just looked at the patterns in my vision at the points when I was not being instructed to do something, yet it was still something I would not want to have to repeat and that I would advise nervous people not to undergo without some form of sedation.
My recommendation for such people, therefore, is to ensure you have some kind of sedative (if your surgeon allows it) and that your head is strapped in place (if possible).

• Locked thread