Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour
# Has anyone here had laser eye surgery done?

I had it done about 7 years ago after wearing contacts for years. Best $1600 I've ever spent.

# Do they see as well as they did with glasses?

Much better. And if you're using glasses you're missing out on a certain amount of your peripheral vision too. Depending on what size lenses you use and how bad your vision is, the difference can feel just like switching a movie from pan-and-scan to widescreen.

# Does it hurt (before/during/after)?

It doesn't hurt, but the actual operation is so completely unlike anything you've ever done before that it's a bit uncomfortable. After the operation I pretty much went straight home and into bed, so no post-op pain or discomfort. I remember having blurry vision for about 3 days and slight dryness/discomfort for a couple days after that. No big deal.

# I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?

Not for me. If anything I'd say my night vision is much better because my contacts used to get annoying toward the end of the day. Not an issue anymore.

# Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)

Not at all. It's much more pleasant than working at the computer with contacts, as well as stuff like watching movies.

# Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?

Absolutely.

# Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?

I did have one alarming-looking but harmless side effect: for a couple of days it looked like there was blood in the white part of my eyes. I was told this was somewhat common and nothing to worry about. They went away on their own within days. I could easily imagine some people totally freaking out over it though.

Starblind fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread