Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
I went in last week to get checked out for lasik. After two hours of more eye machines than I've ever seen (including one where they poke each eye ten times with a small pen like object), I'm in the clear. I can't get the wavescan tech, so it's regular intralasik scheduled December 8th.
My vision is pretty bad (20/1000 and 20/500; both eyes with astigmatism) and they were really upfront with fact that having such bad vision, my eyes might regress a bit. This place has a lifetime guarantee and will comp everything to get me to 20/20 should I need addition surgery.
The place I'm going to is really nice and well known for doing lasik on celebrities and other eye doctors. Going to cost me 300,000 yen ($3000) but that beats with $5000+ Kaiser wanted back when I was living in the States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Has anyone had epi-lasik?

I went in for the second check up where they re-do all the tests (you have this one within three weeks of the surgery) just to double check everything. Well, another doctor was there today and looking over everything said I should get epi-lasik because it will correct my vision better than intralasik will.

But, slight problem: I've been in glasses for the past three years because my eyes rejected contacts suddenly. I went to a whole bunch of optometrists that all just shrugged their shoulders and told me that my eyes are too sensitive to wear contacts. Wearing contacts for more than four hours turns my eyes bright red and causes me them to leak all over the place. I haven't tried wearing contacts for about two and a half years, so for all I know they have improved somewhat.

I told them about it and they told me that the contacts aren't normal contacts and all the liquids they will give me have numbing agents and things to help with the irritations after surgery so it should help with that issue. They also told me that no one has ever had to take the contacts out due to the pain. I told them that I didn't want to be their first because who else had this pre-existing condition?

So yeah, I have to go back in one the 7th to talk with the doctor that speaks perfect English who will let me know what I should do (all the doctors will get together and discuss my case before hand). I want to get perfect vision, but I just don't know if I can wear a contact for a week, much less a day...

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
I had my 3rd pre-examination test on Monday and the doctor said that I was a great candidate for either intra-lasik or epi-lasik. I decided to go with intra-lasik due to healing time and no pain. Getting my lasik done tomorrow!
This is Japan, the one difference between lasik done here versus the states is that Japan won't give you anti-anxiety or sleep meds. I have to do this stone cold sober.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007

Mövenpick posted:

I was reading an article about Medical Tourism and wanted to know if anyone had experience (or knows of people) who've traveled outside of the US (to Singapore, Thailand, India, etc...) to have LASIK performed. Cost, Experience, Recovery, Complications, etc...
I got my intra-lasik done in Japan because I live here. I wouldn't want to travel somewhere to get it done just in case something goes wrong.
Cost: 297,000 yen (about $2970)
Experience: Fantastic. The place I went to took an amazing amount of time, care and testing to make sure I got the correct lasik surgery that would give me the best results. They always explained everything thoroughly and if I ever had a question via email, it was answered within an hour. They made sure I knew and understood all the risks and were very honest about what could happen.
Recovery: I had my intra-lasik just over 24 hours ago. Right after the lasik, my vision was super hazy but I could see things. After a rest of 15 minutes, my vision was getting better but still hazy. On the train home, my eyes were really light sensitive and I couldn't keep them open because it was like staring at the sun. After I got home, I took an hour nap and was amazed by my vision when I woke up. Today I had a check-up and I could see better than 20/20 but I'm still having haze issues (common side effect that takes a week or three to clear up). The doctor looked at my corneas and said they were healing beautifully. I have another check-up in 6 days
Complications: None so far

Side note stuff:
My friend was able to watch my surgery from the side room.
One of nurses held my hand the entire time I was having my lasik. Didn't even have to ask
Instead of goggles to sleep with at night, I have these plastic semi-dome things that I tape over my eyes with medical tape. Had a great 8 hours of sleep

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Quick update:
Went in today for my one week checkup
I went from 1000/20 and 500/20 vision to 12/20 vision in both eyes.
drat.
The haziness is pretty much all gone, but I've still got some haloing and starbursts. Lasik is awesome.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007

The Lone Lemon posted:

Hey Miss Nomer,

Any updates on the haloing and starbursts? I'm in Japan and thinking of getting this done as well. Which clinic did you go to? Was it this one? http://www.minamiaoyama.or.jp/en

I'm trying to find a place where there's no major issues with language. My Japanese isn't awful, but a mistake here isn't like ordering the wrong temperature of soba, if you know what I mean.
I still have a little bit of haloing in my right eye but I only notice it late at night. The starbursting is pretty much gone.
I went to Kobe Clinic which is a great place to go to if your Japanese is so-so. There are people who's solo job is to help English speakers with anything and everything. Even though they are the "Kobe Clinic" there are several locations and the doctors are wonderful. I know another person who went here and we both had an amazing experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
I'm now a little more than 10 months out with my lasik and I haven't used any eye drops since March. The first week, I used three different eye drops 4 times a day. The next three weeks was two drops 3 times a day. After that it was one eye drop whenever I felt that I needed it. I used it off and on but by February, I was only using the eye drop maybe once a week. And by March I had stopped completely. Dry eyes was never an issue for me.

• Locked thread