Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitten Nightmares
May 15, 2007
look through a faithless eye; are you afraid to die?

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Just got evaluated for lasik today and i think i'm gonna do it. i... like how i look in glasses, though?

I'm in the same boat. I have a consultation appointment on April 27th (at an office that offers more procedures than LASIK/PRK). I've been wearing glasses since age 7, and I'm now 30 with -9.5/-9.75 vision. I don't even recognize myself without glasses which is one of the reasons I couldn't get used to wearing contacts (plus I couldn't stand putting them in due to my aversion of touching my eyeballs). I plan to wear glasses with no prescription once all is said and done.

Can't wait to wear nice expensive/cheap lovely sunglasses and cute throwaway fashion eyeglasses :allears:

Edit: Update

I ended up going to UCLA's vision center for a free consultation/eye exam. I'm not a good candidate for LASIK or PRK, but they recommended that I consider an implantable contact lens (Visian ICL). My research before the appointment said the procedure tends to run between $2k-$4k per eye but with their facility/service/medical fees, it's $7.5k for the first eye and $6k for the second and requires a few pre- and a lot of post-op visits, and I loving detest driving to LA.

I'm going to see what the private vision center says on May 4th , when I do a consult with them (I had to reschedule my prior appointment). I'll definitely make sure the aftercare is included in the cost. So...may the fourth be with me, I guess.

Kitten Nightmares fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitten Nightmares
May 15, 2007

Kitten Nightmares posted:

I'm in the same boat. I have a consultation appointment on April 27th (at an office that offers more procedures than LASIK/PRK). I've been wearing glasses since age 7, and I'm now 30 with -9.5/-9.75 vision. I don't even recognize myself without glasses which is one of the reasons I couldn't get used to wearing contacts (plus I couldn't stand putting them in due to my aversion of touching my eyeballs). I plan to wear glasses with no prescription once all is said and done.

Can't wait to wear nice expensive/cheap lovely sunglasses and cute throwaway fashion eyeglasses :allears:

Edit: Update

I ended up going to UCLA's vision center for a free consultation/eye exam. I'm not a good candidate for LASIK or PRK, but they recommended that I consider an implantable contact lens (Visian ICL). My research before the appointment said the procedure tends to run between $2k-$4k per eye but with their facility/service/medical fees, it's $7.5k for the first eye and $6k for the second and requires a few pre- and a lot of post-op visits, and I loving detest driving to LA.

I'm going to see what the private vision center says on May 4th , when I do a consult with them (I had to reschedule my prior appointment). I'll definitely make sure the aftercare is included in the cost. So...may the fourth be with me, I guess.

Had my consultation with NVision yesterday and after measuring my eyes they are confident I am a good candidate for the lasik procedure they offer. I'm relieved because it will end up costing me less than $5k for both eyes versus the $13k+ ICL that UCLA recommended, plus I can use my optometrist for follow up appointments. Procedure scheduled for June 1st :toot:

Kitten Nightmares
May 15, 2007

I had my procedure done on Friday. It was the most bizarre experience and I slept from noon until 8am to make my 9am appointment Saturday morning.

Forgot to ask my eye doc what my vision was at during the follow-up, but I'm definitely seeing distance more sharply than I did with glasses. Everything has a kind of hazy bloom, and I can't focus up close at all, until about 5 inches from my face. My optometrist said that my close-up vision should improve as the eyes heal.

The weirdest part for me is still how I look without glasses. I haven't decided whether I'm going to wear my non-prescription frames to work tomorrow. This evening I'm going to get a haircut and see how much less recognizeable I can get.

Kitten Nightmares
May 15, 2007

I think we got our surgery on the same day. I only had to take my medicated drops for a week post surgery, I've just been using preservative free tears since (probably not as often as I should though). Close-up vision wise, my right eye is definitely not as sharp as my left. Either my astigmatism didn't go away or that eye is just taking longer to heal. And I also noticed driving at night it's not as clear when trying to read street signs from a distance as in daylight, even when the signs are decently lit. I'll report back after my one-month follow up, also on 6/29 :hfive:

• Locked thread