Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Zvezda posted:

I went to get LASIK yesterday but apparently my eye is the wrong shape for the suction ring and after 4 attempts they had to call a halt. My eyeball is magnificently bruised!

I guess I can't complain - better to lose suction straight away than when they're cutting! - and the staff were super nice and reassuring, especially the nurses.

I could have gotten LASEK yesterday instead but didn't feel up to it after having my eye roughed up so much. I'm gonna have a think and probably go back and get it done. Got to pluck up the courage all over again!

I had a similar experience when I pulled the trigger back in 2005. I signed a form telling them to do what ever was necessary to fix my eyes. So after 3 failed attempts with the suction, they switched over to LASEK and that was that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Zvezda posted:

I wish I had just gone for it now but it was pretty overwhelming at the time!

A question for people who have had LASEK: How were you feeling when you got the protective lenses out? I think I was told I would have them removed after 3 - 4 days. I live in the middle of nowhere and have a 3 hour train journey to the clinic. I'd probably have to go alone - possible, or the worst idea ever?

WORST POSSIBLE IDEA EVER! If you do LASEK, you absolutely need someone to assist you.

I had my surgery on a Friday. My eyes burned for the first 36 hours post-op. Like someone had a blowtorch on them. I could barely open them. I stayed hopped up on painkillers and slept. The pain subsided, and I was practically blind from the protective lenses being so gunked up. I listened to music and TV and slept a lot for the next several days.

They took the lenses out a week after surgery and I went from glasses to being blind to having perfect vision. It really was that dramatic.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Even despite 36 hours of agony and a week of 'blindness', I would do it again in a heartbeat and highly recommend corrective surgery. It's been 7 years and I've had no complications and no changes in my vision. I don't mean to scare anyone off :ohdear:

I do recommend getting temporary tear duct plugs put in during the surgery -- dry eye is a short term side effect regardless of method. I was doing drops twice a day for the first few months. I can't imagine what not having the plugs would have been like (mine dissolved after like 9 months).

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 3, 2012

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I went for my 9 year checkup on Friday. My acuity has remained the same since the surgery, but was warned to expect a shift to far-sightedness as I approach 40.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

That's why they loaded me up with painkillers. The first 48 hrs were all hurty, the following 72 hrs were all frustratey.

It's been 10 years for me and I still have perfect vision. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

dantheman650 posted:

I'm getting LASEK this December and will be traveling to Thailand two weeks afterward. I've seen different recommendations all over about how long one should avoid swimming for. Most doctors' sites say two weeks but a few I saw go up to a month. They are my eyes and I won't do anything stupid to compromise them, but I would like to swim while I'm there. I read that the danger at that point is not necessarily the water, but post-swim eye rubbing. What are your experiences?

I did LASEK 10 years ago and was told no swimming for 6 weeks. The bummer was I went to the Caribbean 3 weeks after surgery and couldn't scuba or snorkel :(

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Are we talking USD? I paid $3600 over ten years ago - $7100 seems steep.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I had it done 12 years ago. Dry eye was an issue the first few months. The dissolving plugs helped a lot. I had halos pre-op and can't say whether they were better or worse post-op. I started wearing reading glasses a few months ago (I turn 40 next year) but was told that was normal.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

If they're reputable they won't zap you without doing the exam. They need way more info than a traditional exam provides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I had mine done by a doctor who could be best described as a eye-correction mill. Nothing wrong with that, but he had a very specific schedule. He did post-op follow-ups the first week of each month, consultations/pre-op exams the second week of each month, was off the third week each month, did surgeries the last week of each month. There were exceptions as-needed but I know before I call for my annual post-op appointment that it's going to be the first week of the next month.

I'm well into my second decade since the surgery and have had no issues.

• Locked thread