Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Porphyra
Aug 3, 2007
Has anyone here had laser eye surgery done?
I had LASIK done on my eyes about 3 years ago.

Do they see as well as they did with glasses?
I actually see a little worse than with my glasses. With glasses I was 20/15. Now, I'm only 20/20. However, I was close to legally blind without my glasses on because of really bad astigmatism (and it turns out the surface of my cornea wasn't smooth and even like it was supposed to be).

Does it hurt (before/during/after)?
My eyes never hurt, per se. I did have to deal with eye dryness for about 6-8 months afterwards. I just kept a bottle of the saline eye drops in my purse and used it whenever I felt the need.

I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?
This hasn't affected my night driving, but I've been told some people have halos. The pupil opens up to let more light in the eye at night/in the dark. However, if the part of the cornea that was fixed is smaller than the maximum opening of your pupil, you can have this halo effect.

Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)
My computer use is greater now than before I had LASIK, and I don't notice any problems. But I could be an exception.

Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?
Hell yes. Not having to worry about glasses after nearly 20 years with them is awesome.

Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?
You do have to be careful about your eyes for the first couple years after repair, especially the first year. Since your corneas are being cut, and there's no direct blood supply to your cornea, they take a long time to heal. There have been times when people have had stuff hit their eye or rub their eye too hard and pop off the top of the cornea where it was cut. My optomotrist had someone get hit in the eye with a rubber duck and the flap of the cornea repair came off--guy needed a corneal transplant to fix it.
The opthomologist who actually did the surgery gave me these goggles to wear while sleeping so I wouldn't accidentally bump or rub my eyes in my sleep. I had to wear those for a couple weeks.

All in all, I would highly recommend you do your homework on your LASIK providers. I asked my optomotrist for the doctors she would recommend, and none of them were the ones that highly advertised themselves everywhere. Plus, the actual doctor who did my surgery had done about 10,000 eyes before me--so I was really comfortable with him working on *my* eyes. Additionally, though it cost a bit more (almost $10k), the doctor who did my LASIK will do further work or repair for free if I keep up with all my required follow-ups (which I have). I'm not even 30 yet, so the prospect of needing further repair is definitely there.

For Gentle Glide, most docs that do LASIK usually require that your eyesight have stabilized for a couple years (somewhere between 3-5, depending on the provider). Basically, don't want to put you through surgery now, only to have you need glasses next year because your eyes are still changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread