Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007
- Has anyone here had laser eye surgery done?

I had mine done May 30th of this year and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. I'm a 20 year old female too, so don't let anyone but the doctor tell you you're too young.

- Do they see as well as they did with glasses?

My vision actually got corrected to 20/13 or 13/20, I always forget what order the numbers go in. Basically, it means that at 20 feet, I see the same detail as someone with normal vision sees at 13. Forgive me if my math is wrong, but I think that means I see 165% better than normal people, to put it into perspective.

- Does it hurt (before/during/after)?

The first two hours after were the worst, there was a lot of 'omg but what if this is it.. what if it doesn't get better?' and some other hysterics, but only because I'm a big baby that doesn't deal with uncertainty well. Then I took a quick nap and woke up with crystal clear vision.

- I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?

My night vision was definitely affected, but the more I use it the better it gets, or the more used to it I get. At first I was like 'holy gently caress, I'm blind at night', but slowly I'm adjusting and realize that I can still see well enough to do everything I did before, my night vision is just does not have the same detail as my day vision. Still 110% worth getting the surgery though.

- Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)

Yes, I had a big problem with computers for a month or so after, but it slowly improves to the point where I can spend 8+ hours on a computer without problems. I was back working 8hr days behind a computer less than a week later, it sucked but I worked in a call center type environment and we weren't that busy, so between calls I would make a point to not look at my screen, and either talk to people around me and focus on them or read a book. This would help, but by the end of my shift I would be too worn out to use my computer at home, and my eyes would be sore.

- Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?

Absolutely.

- Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?

I went with the bladed procedure, and the whole time it was being done all I could think was 'poo poo poo poo poo poo should have sprung for bladeless', but once the whole thing was over, I was glad I didn't waste the other $1000. The only time I have to use eyedrops now is first thing in the morning, and I'm pretty sure that's only because my room is incredibly dry, I went camping for a week and forgot them and had no problems at all. I had some halos at first, but now I don't see them unless my pupils are unnaturally large.

It's been three months and there are days I don't even remember I had the surgery. My vision is amazing, I'm still amazed every time I go outside by the fine details I can see on trees, buildings, animals and other scenery. I can definitely see colors brighter, everything is just sharper and more saturated, I feel like I'm living in some kind of ridiculous hi-def movie sometimes, and it's awesome.

My other tip, contrary to what they will tell you at the office, is sometimes to lay off the eyedrops. The ones they give you for lubrication after are actually quite gummy and sticky. I find I was putting them in and not giving them enough time to clear before putting more in, thinking it would help. I decided to tough it out for a couple hours and everything was much better. I'm not saying don't lubricated, I'm just saying if you do it too often it can actually impair your vision somewhat. I'd say wait a least a half hour between lubrications. Obviously this is after you're done all the medicated drops and you're into 'lubricate when necessary' territory.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007

rino86 posted:

you can be too blind for LASIK. I went in two years ago and they determined that my cornea would become unstable if they cut it enough to give me 20/20. I wear a -.7.5 and a -8.0 contact lense, my vision is something like 20/400 but I cant remember the exact number.

So if you're blind as gently caress, you might still be out of luck. Its very disappointing, I feel like people with terrible vision would have most improvement in their quality of life after surgery.

I think it has more to do with the thickness of your cornea than your actual vision. If you have thin corneas and weak prescription, you're not going to be able to get corrected, same as if you have a high prescription and weak corneas. I could be wrong though.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007

Happydayz posted:

how much of a difference does bladeless LASIK and custom wavefront make overall? And since it's so automated right now just how much difference does the doctor make?

I'm not talking about someone doing it out of an alleyway vs. a highly acclaimed doctor. However given how much automation is involved in LASIK right now I'd imagine that you hit diminishing returns pretty rapidly once you get to a certain level of surgeon competency.

Also - still up in the air between LASIK and PRK. I can deal with the longer healing process of PRK - so I'm tempted to just bite the bullet and do PRK instead of getting LASIK done. Only difficulty are the wide range of healing times quoted. A couple weeks? Sure. A month or two? Need to think about it

My doctor told me bladed vs bladeless would make no difference in what my vision finally turned out to be. Bladeless has slightly less risk of complications, but for the most part you're paying an extra $1000 or so dollars to feel less icky for about ten minutes during the procedure.

My surgery was done with custom wavefront, and like I said above, I'm now overcorrected to 20/13, and it's fantastic. I didn't ask them to over correct me, but I've heard if that's something you want, you can ask in advance.

Like someone said above me, Lasik is very safe. Unless you're a kickboxer or a white water rafter, PRK isn't necessary and Lasik is the way to go. I don't live in constant fear of dislodging the flap, and if I do want to do something like white water rafting, I just have to wear goggles.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007

roads posted:

I really want to get lasik surgery sometime in the next few years, but I'm terrified of anything being around my eyes. If they put you to sleep for it (I don't know the technical term, but when they give you a mask to knock you out?) then it'll be fine, but just the thought of anything being up in my eyes terrifies me. It took a couple months for me to get used to contact lenses, hell I didn't even wear makeup until recently cause of it.

I don't think they can knock you out for the procedure. It only takes about fifteen minutes, and if you ask they can usually give you a vicodin or xanax or something to help you calm down.

I found my doctor on google, and checked out rateMD.com, although that site isn't always accurate, my doctor had a couple bad reviews but I found him to be fantastic.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Is there a downside to that at all? Or is it just 100% awesome vision?

Nope, it's awesome as hell. I'm pretty sure I see colors brighter and more vibrantly now too, like I said before, it was like going from regular TV to the best HD imaginable.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007

Collar Crazy posted:

How long did you guys have to wear "protective eyeshields" for after the surgery?

That's the part I'm really dreading. If I have to sleep with poo poo on my face for a week, well, I won't sleep for a week.

Don't worry about this, I thought it would be hard but your eyes are so tired at the end of the day that its almost impossible not to. You only have to wear them for a week anyways, and worst comes to worst, just shoot some nyquil and you'll be golden.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007

Collar Crazy posted:

Things are going pretty well, but today I woke up and my vision was slightly worse than yesterday. Has that happened to anyone? If it gets worse I can call the answering service for my doctor, but they're not open over the weekend. It's kind of freaking me out actually. It's not terrible, but my eyes are bit more like the first night after surgery. I did watch a lot of TV yesterday, out of boredom, and they were pretty tired by the time I went to bed.

Its the TV and computer, the same thing happened to me. I couldn't deal with anything with a screen for days after my surgery, too painful to look at, or I had to look at it with sunglasses and even then only for a short while. When I got back to work and 8hrs behind a computer I noticed this happen as well, after being on the computer my vision would be significantly worse. Its fine now, your eyes are just being strained from the screen while trying to heal.

It could also be your eyedrops clouding your eyes, the lubricating ones I got were really gummy, it took longer than you'd expect for them to actually clear up, and a lot of the time when I thought my vision was fuzzy it was just that the eyedrops hadn't dispersed yet.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007
Hey, does anyone here have experience with pink eye after lasik? I'm pretty sure that's what I have, can I go to a regular doctor or am I better off waiting until tomorrow and going to where I got my surgery? It's not affecting my vision or causing me any pain, and I'm using the anti-pink eye drops I have left over from my surgery, which seem to be helping.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007
This is six months after my surgery, and I'm assuming its bacterial because I haven't had any recent eye trauma that would have otherwise caused it, and so far it's only in one eye.

One of the drops I was giving six months ago post-surgery is a treatment for pink eye (I guess to prevent me from getting it while still recovering?), and I've been using that periodically since yesterday and its cut down on the redness and gunky-ness significantly. It looks and feels much better today than it did yesterday, and I'm going to see if I can get an appointment at the lasik place tommorow. I was just wondering if anyone else had any advice/experiences with this, and if it was a 'HOLY poo poo DOCTOR NOW' sort of issue or something that could wait, especially since it isn't affecting my vision or causing me any pain.

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007

Elijah posted:

Yeah, you can watch them (I saw the Hannah Montana 3D movie one month post-op), but unfortunately the image will be somewhat distorted (depending on how much of a correction you had.) What's your prescription?

Also, due to the way the blue and red light reflect off the corneal epithelium, the retina basically gets "confused," for lack of a more accurate scientific term, and you will see a mirror-image of what's actually on the screen. This is usually not a big deal, but can be annoying if the movie has subtitles.

Occasionally the picture can be out of sync with the audio, but this is rare, and is usually only a problem if there is corneal hazing causing visual latency.

New 3D movies aren't in red and blue.. I've seen new-style ones no problem post op. My correction was -5 ish in each eye, not huge but not small either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007

Elijah posted:

I must be really bad at sarcasm, if you actually believed I was serious. Or maybe you're just dense. Maybe both.

Haha sorry. I guess it didn't transfer over the internet.

New 3D movies are loving sweet though, and not having to wear the glasses over my regular glasses rocks.

• Locked thread