Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Gentle Glide posted:

Not trying to thread hijack however i had a question about LASIK while everyone is here :D

I am 20 years old an an active duty member of the USMC. I know they have a list of people set to receive the surgery for free you just have to qualify and wait your turn, thats not my question though.

Am i a candidate?
20 Year old Male
both eyes are nearsighted 20/450 with astigmatism
corrected to 20/20
Have been wearing classes and contacts since i was 10 years old.

Does anyone see anything there that would DISQUALIFY me right away?

I'm about to have surgery through the military so I've been through all the briefings and counseling recently.

The astigmatism might disqualify you but you won't know until they scan your eyes.

Due to your age the doctor might suggest you wait a bit longer if your prescription is still changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Camulos posted:

Do they give you anything to deal with them shooting your eyeballs with lasers? The idea of someone touching and being that close to my eyes makes me incredibly uncomfortable but I've heard they give you drugs that make you not care, anyone have experience with them?
Different drugs for different surgeries. PRK is Vicodin and Lasik is Valium typically.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

psydude posted:

Does the military use its own laser eye surgeons, or does it farm patients out to civilians? Google mostly turned up stuff about people having it done outside of the military healthcare system.

At least at Ft Hood they do it in house. The doctors all seem good. They also turn away a lot of people that are at risk for complications so as a whole they have a better success rate than most places. They'll even turn away people they notice rubbing their eyes a lot.

They do PRK (the only thing I qualify for), lasik, bladeless lasik, and the ICL. They'll typically suggest PRK for combat arms people because the flap is actually an issue despite how much normal people talk it down.

Keep in mind that on average 1 in 10 people who get some type of surgery have some sort of degraded vision after the surgery. This could range from permanent night vision loss or becoming farsighted instead of nearsighted, to total blindness.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Well I had PRK a week ago.

My close up vision is not what it was before the surgery yet. I can see better further away. It is somewhat better than with glasses, but also somewhat worse. It is hard to describe. Squinting does not help me see more clearly. I am hoping it keeps getting better. It is good enough to drive right now, but I'd still like it to be much better since it is no where near how clear it was when I had contacts.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Yeah, I know. I had a follow up visit. It is just annoying since there hasn't really been improvement in the past 3 or 4 days.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Well I posted in this thread before about having PRK back in August...

I had a 4 month checkup yesterday and I am now at 20/15 after being around 20/30 3 months. I stopped having dryness about two months ago. I was outside for an extended period of time (about two days) about a month ago and they didn't even get dry.

I did have an issue with them getting very dry in early October when I drove for a while though. I am going to do about a 5 hour drive on Monday and I'll see if I still have that issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

lirda posted:

Can i watch 3D movies if i get LASIK?
Is there anyone here who´s had LASIK that has seen a 3D movie?

BTW are you seriously questioning getting this surgery just because you want to watch Avatar?

• Locked thread