Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Has anyone here had laser eye surgery done?
Had it performed last October. I opted for wavefront LASIK, to the tune of $2k an eye after a fair insurance-related discount.

Do they see as well as they did with glasses?
Slightly better on my best days. On crappy days, my right eye can be a tad bit blurry. This doesn't seem to affect me reading 20/15, but its slightly annoying. This was pretty much a constant thing for the first few months after the surgery, but has almost disappeared recently. Its more noticeable when I'm tired.

Does it hurt (before/during/after)?
It actually hurt me before! I hit my head on part of one of the lasers. they don't make that contraption for people 6'4" or better, it seems.

The flap-cutting portion legitimately hurt for me. Quite a bit. I've discussed this with the docs afterward, and apparently its extremely uncommon, but possible even with the numbing eyedrops they use beforehand. They gave me stress-reliever squeezy things, and I squeezed the heck out of them. This is only when the flap is being cut, and only lasts like 30 seconds for each eye. Afterward, the pain stopped completely.

The corrective portion of the procedure caused no pain.

After, my eyes were scratchy feeling for the rest of that day. Initially I didn't want to open my eyes much at all. this improved quite a bit that evening. The next day I drove myself to the follow up exam at 8am without issue, and I spent the rest of the day brewing beer with a friend. Other than stopping to put drops in my eyes I was just fine.

I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?

It did for me for a few weeks. Now I see great at night.

Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)

I've had no computer use problems, and I'm a software developer who is in front of a computer pretty much when I'm awake. I chose to not wear contacts due to my computer use, but lasik gave me no issues with that.

Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?

Without question.

Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?

I had a bunch of blood vessels in my eyes break during the procedure. This really isn't a big deal except that it looked creepy as hell and took over a month to go away.

As for general advice:
USE THE DROPS AS DIRECTED. Be liberal with the moisturizing ones. Its worth having a good healing process.

Also stock up on a couple audiobooks to listen to after the surgery when you're trying to lay with your eyes closed/sleep. Buying one off iTunes when I didn't want to open my eyes for long periods of time wasn't fun.

sklnd fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread