Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

What's new, Buseycat? woa-aah, woa-aah, woa-aah

Doctor Optimal posted:

Has anyone here had laser eye surgery done?

Yes! 3 months ago by this guy: http://www.theeyeinstitute.com.au/index.php?doc130467232

Doctor Optimal posted:

Do they see as well as they did with glasses?

Better actually. Everything's just so crisp now (and no smudged glasses to annoy me).

Doctor Optimal posted:

Does it hurt (before/during/after)?

Before: No, unless you count anxiety as pain (the xanax + valium helped me with not freaking the hell out).
During: Nope.
After: a little stinging, they gave me painkillers for that.

Doctor Optimal posted:

I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?

Hasn't at all for me, some people get halo'ing but I've had no noticable problems.

Doctor Optimal posted:

Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)

It's actually made it better for me. I used to be -2.75 in each eye which made it bad enough that I needed glasses for everything except sitting 30cm away from my monitor. When your monitor is 24", this means you have to move your head around a lot and can't read small text easily unless you get even closer. Now I just sit back and can use the full 24" without moving or any other issues.

Doctor Optimal posted:

Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?

Hell yes.

Doctor Optimal posted:

Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?

Not too bizarre but I'll tell you about a few things that I found strange.

I got LASIK done which is a two step procedure, the first being the cutting of the flap with a laser. They lower a round thing down on to your eyeball to hold it in place while the laser performs the cut.

Firstly, when the machine pushes down on your eyeball (so it doesn't move) you get this instant excruciating headache. It only lasts about 30-60 seconds though, as soon as the machine lifts off your eye it goes away.

Secondly, the first time the doctor tried to align the round thing on my eyeball he wasn't happy with the position, so he had to take the pressure off the eyeball, realign and push down with MORE pressure (even more painful headache), resulting in this:

That went away after 2-3 weeks though so it's all cool.

Also, after the actual laser burning bit which smelled like burning hair (tried to hold my breath for that, it was yuck), the doctor used water to wash the eye area while my eyes were clamped open. That sensation was just creepy. Cold water in your eyes when you're completely powerless to rub your eyes is just weird.

I now have 20/20 vision (since the day after the surgery), can wear sunglasses without contacts pissing me off by drying up and giving me a headache. A++++++ Would do again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

Namarrgon posted:

On a more practical note, how exactly does one go about trying to find a docter? Just google?

I heard the advertisements for this place on the radio (and it was literally a 30 second walk from my apartment), so I decided to go there. Turns out my surgeon was the son of the guy who runs the university I went to in my home town. He had incredible credentials.

It was possibly $2000 more than some other places, but I'd prefer the experience over someone who wants to do it on the cheap.

Ask any friends / people you may know in the area if they can recommend anyone.

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

TskMgr posted:

yea i watched the video's posted above and had a panic attack about it.

Experiencing it and watching those videos are 2 different things. You don't watch yourself get stuff put on your eye and see stuff getting cut, you just feel a slight pressure on your eye, then your vision goes blurry. It was much easier getting it done than watching that horrible stuff.

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

Fraternite posted:

I'm one week out of PRK and my vision up close is blurry as gently caress and apparently will remain this way for months. For example, I have trouble reading the computer screen.

This is one of the reasons I don't really get why so many people are jumping on PRK.

3 hours after my LASIK i've been able to see better than I have for 15 years, and it has only got better. I was 20/20 within 16 hours and have stayed that way. Is it the cost?

• Locked thread