Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eyeshitinyourserial
Aug 23, 2008

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?
No.
It's an uptight, bigoted twat.

There is an alternative recently approved by the FDA that is coming into favor but is not as widespread as LASIK.

The alternative is implantable contact lenses. They are apparently much safer then lasik since you're not doing an abraision, tissue removal/shaping of the cornea. Instead you're just opening up the cornea and implanting a corrective lense.

There are virutally no side effects, unlike some of the night time vision glare problems with lasik and if your eyes ever change enough that you need a different lens the old one can be removed and a new one installed. Lasik on the other hand is a one-time shot and if its not done just right you're hosed.

If I ever get corrective eye surgery it would be the implantable lenses because the initial risks (opening up the cornea) are the same as lasik without having to worry about, "Gee I hope they grind my cornea right and don't gently caress this up".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyeshitinyourserial
Aug 23, 2008

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?
No.
It's an uptight, bigoted twat.

NuckmasterJ posted:

Hey PRK buddy! I had PRK done last September. Pain was low, but the pills and my love of drinking helped. My vision was 20/15 after week 4 when my epithelium layer was rocking it proper. Cost $4790 though, but it was worth it for 20/15!

To OP: Get it done! Laser eye surgery is amazing, world wide total surgery's just got over 10,000,000 this year so says my doc.

To people scared of cornea flaps, ask about PRK! No flap, just a tooth brush to your eye to remove the gooey protective layer then the doc blasts you good.
I've hear PRK is supposed to be a "safer" alternative to lasik. However, I still don't want to risk complications with having the cornea abraded/ablated to correct my vision.

The techniques for IOL (inter-ocular lenses) have been around since the 1950s and gained widespread use in begining in the 1970s when materials and surgical techniques advanced to the point to make the surgery trivial. IOLs replacement lenses for people with cataracts, where the actual lense of the eye is replaced. My grandmother just had this done about 6 months ago. The surgery for ICLs (implantable contact lenses) is similar to the techniques developed for IOLs and with ICLs doesn't involve creating a cornea flap, only a small incision.

Fun fact about the natural lenses in your eyes:
As you age they begin to yellow. Once they yellow significantly they alter your perception of colors, which is why you often see older people wearing clothing with colors that clash horribly. They don't know it looks bad because the yellowing of the lens makes the color combinations look good to them.

• Locked thread