Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I am going to get my laser eyes installed on Thursday afternoon, and I am super excited. $4600 for both eyes together at a place called Eye Lasik Austin. Getting wavefront custom intralasik.

It was the only place that my vision insurance partially pays for and I was skeptical due to never having heard of them, and their Yelp rating is like 2.5 stars. As it turns out, the only negative reviews are from people who didn't like the secretary but see great with no problems. Also, 4 of my coworkers have gone there, and they all loved the poo poo out of it.

So far I have:

A bottle of Advil
More comfortable tinted goggles to sleep in
A big box of preservative-free artificial tears
Two books from Audible to listen to
A girlfriend planning to make dinner that night

For those that have already gone through it, anything else that I should have prepped to make my life for that first day a little easier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Lasik. The doctor said I should be totally good to drive myself to the followup appointment the next morning.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Trip report:

Went in to Eye LASIK Austin yesterday for custom wavefront iLASIK at 12:40pm, got my valium and some drops. Walked into the laser room at 1:40pm, was in the car be driven home at 1:55pm. Got home, 1 medicated drop in each eye, took a nap for a few hours, listened to some TV, opened my eyes at 8:00pm and could see pretty great. One more drop in each eye and went to bed around 11:00pm.

Doctor and assistant were awesome. Very calmly talked me through every step. No pain whatsoever. Up until going to sleep last night, I just had a little bit of scratchy "something in my eye" feeling. Woke up this morning and it was gone. I feel perfect.

As far as vision, I see pretty great. It is taking a fraction of a second to focus on something when I look at it, and it's only super clear in the middle of my direct view. Peripheral vision is a little blurry. I was told to expect this, and that it would go away as my eye goes back to 100% normal shape. They also told me my vision would continue to get clearer over the next few weeks, which is cool, because I am already seeing as good or better than I ever did with glasses.

Already super happy. Total cost was $4750 including consultation, the medicated drops, pre op appointment with my optometrist, everything on the day of the surgery, and today's post-op appointment with my optometrist.

fake edit: I keep reaching for my glasses. Tried to take them off before hopping in the shower. Reached for them on the nightstand when I woke up.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

How much post op treatment are they recommending?

Edit: Consultation, not treatment.

1 day, 1 week, 1 month, every 6 months for 2 years, yearly thereafter.

PittTheElder posted:

Took me like a month to kick that habit.

GDI. I am up to 9 or 10 attempts to take off/adjust my nonexistent glasses so far today.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'm about 8 months in, and I still need drops every morning when I wake up, and most nights before going to bed. I too however work 10 hours a day in front of a screen, then a lot while at home too.

My optometrist has said it's totally normal at each of my check-ins. So...

• Locked thread