Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

xelfer posted:

It's actually made it better for me. I used to be -2.75 in each eye which made it bad enough that I needed glasses for everything except sitting 30cm away from my monitor. When your monitor is 24", this means you have to move your head around a lot and can't read small text easily unless you get even closer. Now I just sit back and can use the full 24" without moving or any other issues.

Your eyes were exactly as bad as mine are right now. I'm considering LASIK, thank you for sharing your experience.

On a more practical note, how exactly does one go about trying to find a docter? Just google?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Happydayz posted:

So getting refractive surgery done and having to wear reading glasses several years earlier will probably be more inconvenient for me than vice versa.

Uhm is it a certainty or even a higher propability that this would follow?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

archwhore posted:

Will moving your eye cause you to immediately go blind or anything? Will the laser just liquify your eye or will the surgery be completely hosed if your eye moves slightly?

From what I heard the laser or whatever will automatically abort.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

lirda posted:

Can i watch 3D movies if i get LASIK?
Is there anyone here who´s had LASIK that has seen a 3D movie?

What? I'm not a doctor but I'm going to go with yes, yes you can still watch 3D movies.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Soopafly posted:

I'm planning on LASIK this Thursday and was thinking about recovery. Would smoking weed be bad for me during recovery, what with red-eye and all? I have a feeling that would help a lot with the closed-eyes, listening to books, napping and such, but didn't want to ask my doctor if I didn't have to.

e: also, using a vaporizer, not fire-combustion-smoke, if it matters.

How about you just go a few days without for the sake of your goddamn eyes?

This thread has pretty much convinced me to go for PRK though. The idea of a flap sounds pretty lovely and all the posters coming in with "NO REGRETS" are a great motivator, thanks guys!

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Libandano Urfam posted:

But I've heard that there is a 100% chance for degenerated vision and perhaps a need for reading glasses later in life. Is there anyone here who has had the operation quite a while ago who has information about this? It might just be scare tactics, but I want my miracle cure, damnit! <:mad:>

I'm pretty sure that there is a 99% chance for degenerate vision from old age.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I don't think shaving cream smells as nice.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Arnold of Soissons posted:

So if you have crappy eyes as a younger person (like I do) and you get corrective eye surgery (of whatever type) then later on in your 40s-50s when your eyes were going to go to poo poo anyway, you'll still need some form of glasses/contacts, though your scrip won't be as complex as it would have been if you hadn't had the surgery.

Right so far?

So my question is: I'm fine with my glasses, but I don't want to wind up doing that Senior Head Bob to try to see poo poo. Can I just wear my glasses until my eyes go (even more) to poo poo and get corrective eye surgery when I'm 40-50 and then keep wearing normal glasses instead of bi- tri-focals?

That sounds about right. But I assume the 'normal glasses' in the last sentence than refer to reading glasses from your eyes going to poo poo due to age right?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Just so everyone who feels weird posting in this old thread knows, I've bookmarked it and read every post (I'm considering eyelasers myself) and very much appreciate the newer posts detailing their experiences.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Panthrax posted:

So, quick question. I had my procedure done about 3 weeks ago, and the place I went doesn't have the free touch ups for life deal. They do free for a year, then for $500 they'll give you 5 free annual eye exams, with the lifetime touch ups. Is this something I should consider getting? I've got a week to decide if I want it or not. I guess the eye exams will cover a decent portion of it, plus they give you 50% off (overpriced) sunglasses or some such. But how common are touch ups outside of a year? If I don't have the extra thing, they'll do touch ups at $500/eye. Worth it to wait and see or get the lifetime?

So if I get this right, a one-time fee for a lifetime of free touch ups? Personally I'm of the opinion that eyes are not something to cut costs on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

89 posted:

So, what's the general idea on drinking after LASIK? I've seen things that have claimed you can drink 48 hours after the procedure....all the way to waiting 3 weeks. I'm not planning on getting poo poo hammered, but when's the next time I can go have a few beers with the friends one night?

Just don't drink for 3 weeks. These are your eyes for God's sake.

• Locked thread