Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ytlaya posted:

I was going to have LASIK, but I found out that my cornea is abnormally thin and that it would be very dangerous for me to have the procedure (or any others similar).

I've got the same problem you do, so I had ASL instead. In that procedure, they completely scrape off the outer layer of the cornea, hit the inner layer with the laser, then fit a protective lens to protect your eye while the outer layer grows back over the next 3-4 days. Now I'm better than 20/20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ytlaya posted:

Oh wow, I didn't know about that. How is the procedure/recovery in terms of pain, cost, etc?

I'll break it all down individually.

Procedure: I think I wound up being at the clinic for about 2hrs. Showed up, checked in, paid, forms filled out etc etc. They got you to go to the pharmacy in the building and get all your meds before the procedure. Then into waiting room for about 1/2hr, then into a quick checkup with a nurse who gives you a Xanax to calm you down. Once that's taken effect, you have a final eye test by the doctor doing the procedure to confirm your vision. Then it's into the room for the procedure, takes about 15min. Then into a darkroom with a nurse who gives you some Valium and more Xanax, then they send you home with your carer.

Recovery: I had the surgery on a Thursday, recovered over the weekend, had a check up on the Monday, and was back at work on the Wednesday. You have to have some to take care of you, take you home after, and take you to the checkup on the Monday because you basically can't see. That said, by the Saturday afternoon I was ok to look after myself. There is a fairly rigorous regimen of drops to follow as well. Pain-wise, it's not so bad. More discomfort than pain. They basically just tell you to go home and sleep. Any pain you do have can be dealt with by just putting an ice-pack over your face for 15min then having a sleep.

Cost: Well, it cost me $2000AUD for both eyes, but the clinic I used is considerably cheaper than everywhere else due to them being part of a large network of med clinics, most other places are $2K per eye.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TLG James posted:

How long do you have to give up wearing your contacts before?

I wasn't a contact wearer before, but if memory serves it was 2 weeks for soft contacts, and 4-6 for hard lenses.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I suffer from dry eyes, but I did a bit before I had the surgery (on the bottom edge of acceptable range of dryness). But it's dependent on a few things, particularly how much sleep I've been getting. The clinic I went to also advised taking Flax Seed oil, which does seem to help somewhat.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ramms+ein posted:

Is it that much of an inconvenience or annoyance that you regret getting the surgery done?

Hell no, no regrets.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I didn't find it unpleasant at all. Probably because they loaded me up on Xanax before the procedure.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Trent-Easton posted:

I've had the operation one week ago and that's exactly what's hapenning. Right now I'm wishing I could just go back in time and cancel the operation. I can't see poo poo for half the day, and now I can't put my glasses on whenever I need to.

You didn't get given any lubricating ointment to use at night?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DreadCthulhu posted:

Anybody else's eyes get totally raped by having to heat one's place in winter? I makes my eyes super dry when I wake up and I can't see poo poo all day because of the irritation.

Wonder if I should invest in a humidifier..

Go get some eye lubricating ointment from the chemist and put it in before you go to bed. Should sort you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MonkeyBot posted:

I'm guessing the answer is yes but it's never something I really ever noticed. I've never used eye drops regularly except for the time 4 years ago or so I was told to by my eye doctor and even that was just for a couple months. I think I'm just used to it.

Likewise. Didn't know until they told me I did.

• Locked thread