Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
I'm planning on LASIK this Thursday and was thinking about recovery. Would smoking weed be bad for me during recovery, what with red-eye and all? I have a feeling that would help a lot with the closed-eyes, listening to books, napping and such, but didn't want to ask my doctor if I didn't have to.

e: also, using a vaporizer, not fire-combustion-smoke, if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Namarrgon posted:

How about you just go a few days without for the sake of your goddamn eyes?

Sorry for asking a question in an ask/tell thread. My bad. For anyone else curious, I asked my doctor today and they said a couple days before and a few days after I should abstain, and than I should be very liberal with the wetting drops when I do.

Surgery scheduled for 6.45 tomorrow night!

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Well, I'm ~12 hours out from my procedure, and can already see great. I can tell it isn't 20/20, but that will happen in the next couple days. I am certainly good to drive, and without a doubt can see as well as I could with glasses beforehand. I have absolutely zero pain, a little bit of redness, and hadn't had any problems watching tv / using a computer.

As far as the procedure goes, other goons here nailed it. The worst of the experience was mild discomfort, and I was in and our of the surgery room in less than 15. They gave me something less cool than an Ambiem, told me to go home and go to sleep, and when I woke up, I could see the clock on the other side of the room. :)

I've still got fog and a little haze, but all in all, even if this was as good as it got, I'd have very few complaints.

EDIT - I'm now something like 36 hours out, and am now 20/20, no fog or haze, and am progressing well. I have the halos that everyone gets, but it isn't a big deal. My eye doctor tells me my left eye is a little swollen, and to go to town on the wetting drops for the next couple days. Also, I still haven't been smoking, I'm just going to hold off until it's been a week or so. My eyes feel pretty dry as is.

Overall, gently caress yes, no regrets, loving it, etc etc.

Soopafly fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 26, 2010

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Stroke Volume posted:

Which procedure did you have done? Also how bad was your eyesight before the surgery?

Regular ol' LASIK, and I was -4.50 in my left, -5.50 in my right, with an astigmatism in one. (don't remember which)

Edit - Forgot to mention, I had another followup and am now seeing 20/15. :whatup:

Soopafly fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 2, 2010

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Stroke Volume posted:

Soopafly, how did you choose your doctor?

I asked my optometrist that I've had since I was a little kid, and he without hesitation recommended my surgeon. Although my optometrist and I are pretty tight. (friends with his kids)

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Stroke Volume posted:

Question: does anybody have any experiences/advice regarding getting LASIK and participating in :420: activities? I know it's supposed to reduce intraocular pressure, and cause injection (redness) and dryness, but is there any contraindication? Anybody actually speak to their surgeon about this? How about some of your anecdotal experiences?

I talked to my doctor when I had LASIK and he said to abstain 3-4 days before and after, and then be super heavy with the eyedrops when I do. I followed that advice and just generally took it easy until I didn't need the eyedrops at all anymore and I'm 100% recovered and seeing 20/15.

YMMV though. Only real way to be sure is to ask your doctor about you specifically.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Stroke Volume posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how bad was your vision before? Do you recommend the procedure now that you're on the other side of the knife?

-5.50 or so in each eye, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I love waking up in the morning and just being able to see.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

zxqv8 posted:

This, this exactly is what I'm trying to determine. An answer this question helps two people.

Also, I have a separate issue. I just want to ask frankly, will marijuana use cause any kind of issue with this, assuming one doesn't attend the procedure while under the influence? For that matter, will any other drugs, OTC or otherwise? I don't want to accidentally take a painkiller and find it could do something unforeseen.

Anectdotal - I was a regular smoker when I had my LASIK, and I didn't smoke the day before, or for a couple days after and I was completely fine. Be really liberal with the wetting drops either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

My night vision went from really good to kinda lovely - does that get any better? My eyes used to adjust pretty quickly to dark rooms, but I noticed the last two nights, my bedroom has been pitch black and I can't see anything but a few LEDs for the longest time. When I wake up in the middle of the night I can see okay, but when I go into the bathroom, turn on the light, then come back into the bedroom it's completely pitch black again.

Anecdotal - My halos and night vision steadily improved over the course of a year or so and I stopped noticing things a little over 12 months post-op. I'm about 2 years out now, and still 20/10 and night vision is perfect, halos are gone.

• Locked thread