Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I don't think that those discussing the unpleasantness are really factoring in that different people have different comfort zones. What's pleasant to one person is going to be absolutely fine to another. asteroceras sounds extremely squeamish, so bear in mind that while his opinion about his treatment is entirely valid, others may not bat an eyelid (not sure if that's a pun) at the treatment.

I had it done some five years or so ago; I paid £1200 total, which is quite low compared to many, so you might expect that my treatment was more of the "cheap and cheerful" variety. But it was still perfectly fine! Here's how it went down for me:

Imagine lying on a bed/couch, having someone treat your eyes so that they can be clamped open- seems odd at first, but once your eye is there, don't freak out and it's fine. Then someone comes at you with a scalpel. However, you can't actually feel it, and that close up it's extremely blurry. So you'll see the blurry device move to your eye and to a little twirl and barely even have time to register that your cornea has been cut open. Then the lights are turned off, and then the laser is started and it zap-zap-zaps at your eye. I think that fact that it's dark and the machine is noisy is really neither here nor there to be honest! At this point I was doing my best to keep focussed on the light, and was holding my breath with anticipation and not wanting any movement whatsoever to affect what was going on (even though it really wouldn't as your head is fixed in place). I didn't breath through my nose so I didn't smell anything burning, if that's a problem then stop breathing through your nose! Then the surgeon nudges the flap back in place, and you're left thinking... "what, is that it?"

I mean sure, technically there are some potentially unpleasant parts to it. But I'd probably rate it as about as unpleasant as changing a baby's nappy- eww, it might seem a bit nasty, it's a teensy bit awkward and there's unpleasant stuff going down. But really, it's almost nothing. I was given a valium, but to be honest it didn't do a thing for me until after I was out of the place.

No good optometrist should let you walk out by yourself afterwards and go home by yourself though, nosirreebob. Sounds like maybe aster's treatment could have been done a little more professionally to me. What did the staff seem like when you had your consultation?

Absolutely worth it, one of the best decisions of my life, that's for sure. And now I'm doing some work in the valleys of Switzerland, and being able to look up at a panoramic mountainscape and just look at the entirety of the view in crisp detail without needing glases, without a border of my vision where everything goes blurry- amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread