Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
January
Jul 5, 2009
  • Has anyone here had laser eye surgery done?
    Yes, about 8 years ago.

• Do they see as well as they did with glasses?
    Probably better, because for whatever reason, it appears that my eyes haven't changed very much since I got the surgery. My prescription was changing from time to time before I got the surgery. This may just be a coincidence.

• Does it hurt (before/during/after)?
    During the surgery, it's uncomfortable and maybe slightly painful for a bit when your eye is propped open and the laser is working on it, but the procedure doesn't take very long.
    After the surgery, it hurt to keep my eyes open -- not extreme pain, but like having several eyelashes stuck in my eyes. I don't think everyone is quite so uncomfortable, but you should definitely have someone there to drive you home after the surgery, and don't plan on doing anything for the rest of the day, just in case. By the next day, I was pretty much OK though.

• I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?
    I see a slight halo around lights at night, but I don't recall if it was that way with glasses anyway. I don't consider it to be a significant disadvantage. I'm able to drive at night with no problems.

• Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?
    My eyes were too sensitive for contacts, so I wore glasses before the surgery.
    I use a computer for 8+ hours on an average day, and I haven't had any problems with redness or dryness that seemed any worse than they were before the surgery. I keep a bottle of eye drops nearby for those extra-long workdays, but that's probably something that would be handy for anyone staring at a monitor for extended periods of time.

• Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?
    Without a question. It's one of the best decisions I ever made.

• Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?
    I've heard of some people getting bad halo effects. I haven't had any notably negative results from my surgery. I'd just say choose a reputable doctor with lots of experience. Also, caring for your eyes properly after the procedure is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread