Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

LinuxGirl87 posted:

*Has anyone here had laser eye surgery done?
About 7-8 years ago

*Do they see as well as they did with glasses?
I forget the exact prescription but -8.75 or something in both eyes (legally blind without corrective lenses) with astigmatism to 20/20. I can see better at night now because the astigmatism is gone. I used to be able to see abnormally well up close which is gone now but meh.

*Does it hurt (before/during/after)?
It's scary when they pull the flaps off. I had some extreme burning for a short time after the numbing stuff wore off but that was it.

*I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?
see above
*Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)
No.

* Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?
A million times yes. I dreamed of having it ever since I saw that Russian dude doing RK on 60 minutes when I was a kid.

*Is there anything bizarre (like your eyes falling out) that I should know about?
Weird thing, I heard you should have it done in winter when the air is drier, as opposed to during humid late summer because the corneas are slightly swollen and your results will be slightly different, resulting in the need for a "touch up". I don't know if it's baloney or not but a friend and I both had it in winter at different doctors and neither of us has needed an adjustment.

Another weird thing, I spent my life with my eyeballs covered by either glasses or contacts until LASIK. The first time I went out in the snow it was like someone was throwing tacks in my eyes. Don't let snow, sleet, freezing rain or whatever bounce off your eyeballs. It hurts like a mother!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

archwhore posted:

Will moving your eye cause you to immediately go blind or anything? Will the laser just liquify your eye or will the surgery be completely hosed if your eye moves slightly?

When I had mine done they put a little blue dot on my eyeball for tracking. The computer uses it as a reference point when they do the big topographical map of your cornea. I stayed still on the first eye but flinched pretty bad on the second one. It wasn't a problem, the laser just follows the reference point that was set.

• Locked thread