Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stroke Volume
Jan 27, 2010

Soopafly posted:

I'm planning on LASIK this Thursday and was thinking about recovery. Would smoking weed be bad for me during recovery, what with red-eye and all? I have a feeling that would help a lot with the closed-eyes, listening to books, napping and such, but didn't want to ask my doctor if I didn't have to.

e: also, using a vaporizer, not fire-combustion-smoke, if it matters.

Probably won't do anything, but this is something you should really ask your doctor. They don't care about the elicit use of controlled substances except for when they may interact with your medical treatment. The only way you can know for sure is to ask your doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroke Volume
Jan 27, 2010

Put it in Your Mouf posted:

Another "no regrets" here. Currently nine months after LASIK and doing great. I had the predicted dryness and night vision problems after surgery. After a couple months of making sure you have eye drops at all times, and seeing halos around lights at night, I got used to it and quit worrying about whether it would clear up. Then I stopped noticing the incremental improvements, until it hit me last week- "Hey, I haven't needed eye drops first thing in the morning for over a month!"

I also feel my night vision is as good as before. When driving last weekend, I slowed as a cat ran across the road. My friend couldn't see it, and that's when I realized I'd gone weeks without even considering my night vision.

My prescription was awful, -5.50 and -6.75. Loving my eyesight now. For a couple months, my eyes burned if I used very minty toothpaste, or leaned over an open bottle of Listerine. That's all gone, except I can't loving cut onions. I used to be completely unaffected, now I better be wearing waterproof mascara.

If they give you an Ambien to take right after surgery, do it. If I had slept through the first few hours, I would have woken up feeling slightly uncomfortable. I was tired, so I thought I would just skip it and lay down. Spent three hours hating myself and dry crying. It's apparently not that uncomfortable for everyone, but if you have the option to be unconscious, you may want to utilize it just in case.

Quick question if you don't mind: Was your vision fully corrected? 20/20?

Stroke Volume
Jan 27, 2010

Soopafly posted:

Well, I'm ~12 hours out from my procedure, and can already see great. I can tell it isn't 20/20, but that will happen in the next couple days. I am certainly good to drive, and without a doubt can see as well as I could with glasses beforehand. I have absolutely zero pain, a little bit of redness, and hadn't had any problems watching tv / using a computer.

As far as the procedure goes, other goons here nailed it. The worst of the experience was mild discomfort, and I was in and our of the surgery room in less than 15. They gave me something less cool than an Ambiem, told me to go home and go to sleep, and when I woke up, I could see the clock on the other side of the room. :)

I've still got fog and a little haze, but all in all, even if this was as good as it got, I'd have very few complaints.

EDIT - I'm now something like 36 hours out, and am now 20/20, no fog or haze, and am progressing well. I have the halos that everyone gets, but it isn't a big deal. My eye doctor tells me my left eye is a little swollen, and to go to town on the wetting drops for the next couple days. Also, I still haven't been smoking, I'm just going to hold off until it's been a week or so. My eyes feel pretty dry as is.

Overall, gently caress yes, no regrets, loving it, etc etc.

Which procedure did you have done? Also how bad was your eyesight before the surgery?

Stroke Volume
Jan 27, 2010

Soopafly posted:

Regular ol' LASIK, and I was -4.50 in my left, -5.50 in my right, with an astigmatism in one. (don't remember which)

Edit - Forgot to mention, I had another followup and am now seeing 20/15. :whatup:

Soopafly, how did you choose your doctor?

Stroke Volume
Jan 27, 2010

insidius posted:

I am now at -18.75 for each eye which is at least more even then it was but I cant get lasik cause he says that my eyes are still growing?

He's right, the last thing you want to do is drop thousands on LASIK surgery only to have your eyes worsen over the next 3-7 years. Both you and your doctor made the right choice. Just stick it out for 3-4 more years and when you find your glasses/contacts prescription hasn't changed for 2 years or so, go back in and consult with your ophthalmologist.

Question: does anybody have any experiences/advice regarding getting LASIK and participating in :420: activities? I know it's supposed to reduce intraocular pressure, and cause injection (redness) and dryness, but is there any contraindication? Anybody actually speak to their surgeon about this? How about some of your anecdotal experiences?

Stroke Volume
Jan 27, 2010

Soopafly posted:

I talked to my doctor when I had LASIK and he said to abstain 3-4 days before and after, and then be super heavy with the eyedrops when I do. I followed that advice and just generally took it easy until I didn't need the eyedrops at all anymore and I'm 100% recovered and seeing 20/15.

YMMV though. Only real way to be sure is to ask your doctor about you specifically.

If you don't mind me asking, how bad was your vision before? Do you recommend the procedure now that you're on the other side of the knife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroke Volume
Jan 27, 2010
Does anybody find it off-putting that many of the ophthalmologist who perform these procedures never have it done on themselves. Just about every one of them that I've worked with still wears glasses or contacts.

• Locked thread