Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010
So this is something I've been considering for quite a while, and I believe that my insurance can cover part of it.

I don't remember the specific numbers of my nearsightedness and do plan on consulting an eye doctor relatively soon for the basics and what not.

But I've heard that there is a 100% chance for degenerated vision and perhaps a need for reading glasses later in life. Is there anyone here who has had the operation quite a while ago who has information about this? It might just be scare tactics, but I want my miracle cure, damnit! <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010

furushotakeru posted:

Well even after LASIK, etc. you are still susceptible to the normal age related need for reading glasses like most people. Is that what you are referring to?

LASIK and such are typically used to correct for near sightedness, while reading glasses are used to compensate for far sightedness.

True true, I expect the normal aging process, but I had heard that you were guaranteed to need reading glasses later on if you got lasik. Something about trading being able to see far now for not seeing near in the future.

Or it could be what I get from hearing secondhand.

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010
So I am getting LASIK in about 2 weeks. I'm getting a pretty good price too. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences here, it helped me make my decisions and at times helped me sound like I knew what I was talking about to the doctor. Here's to not reflexively trying to adjust glasses that aren't there and poking myself in the eye (which I have done while actually wearing glasses)!

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010
It is done.

I have a very strong eye-closing reflex and that was a concern the surgeon discussed with me. I can't put eyedrops in the normal way and eye doctors usually have to compete with my eyelids to get anything in my eyes. The main risk for that is that I would reflexively move my eye during the surgery. He said that if that started happening we might have to put off the surgery for another day or try for PRK. He said he could do PRK on just about anybody.

It turns out I have narrower than average corneas. This just made me more at risk for bubbles once the flap is cut and replaced. If that would have happened I would have had to wait around for them to reabsorb/disappear, which would have taken an hour or so.

The putting in and taking out of the things that held my eyelids open and whatever created the suction was actually the most painful part about it. It stung. The worst part was after the flaps were cut, the surgeon was doing his thing moving the flap around or whatever. I could see but not feel things moving over and jabbing into my eye. Bleuuaruruurrrghhhh.

I had done a lot of reading of experiences but hadn't watched any videos about the actual procedure. I maybe should have because I wasn't as prepared as I maybe felt like I should have been. I was shaking pretty bad during the surgery and had an anxiety attack afterwards. It helped when they told me what they were doing but they didn't do that all the time.

While I was waiting for my ride they put me in the kids waiting room with the light out. I ran into a bench because I had my eyes closed. My shin is in more pain than my eyes are. The medicated drops sting a bit and I feel a little bruised and occasionally it feels like there's an eyelash in my eye. I went home and put on some music and dozed on and off, but later in the evening I felt well enough to be on my phone for short periods.

My eyes are bloody and gross looking. Cool.

I had my followup appointment this morning. Due to the way some blood vessels are in my right eye I have some red blood cells underneath the flap. They'll monitor me and they think I'll probably just end up needing to use the anti inflammatory drops for longer than expected.

But I can see! My glasses prescription needed to be changed anyway so this is double plus good!

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010
They did offer and I did take it, started with an A? Might have been alprazolam/Xanax. They said it would help more with getting to sleep afterwards rather than managing anxiety during the procedure. I don't think it did anything except make me sick to my stomach, but that may have been the anxiety.

The surgeon would ask for "a dry sponge!" and then it was like watching a window washer squeegee a window way up close. Creeeeeepy.

• Locked thread