Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thel
Apr 28, 2010

zxqv8 posted:

I'm coming back here to ask how I should select a place to do this for me.

I want it and will pay for it, but I'm not sure what makes one place better than another. I can't seem to find anyone in my admittedly small network of people who have actually had it done in my area, so I can't ask people I know.

I just can't figure out where I should go to get it done. That's all that's holding me back.

Go visit the places nearby. Pick the one that gives you the most confidence that they're going to do by right by you. Also, which area are you in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Busy Bee posted:

Got Wavefront LASIK done about a week ago and I have been putting in all the eye drops on a tight schedule and my vision is still not the best.

A day after the procedure, I could see 20/15 and still can but anything in between that is pretty bad. Especially looking at my computer screen at work (First day back) or anything between 2 - 20 feet in front of me - all hazy / fuzzy / really bright and just uncomfortable to look at. I had to adjust the text on my computer to extra large...

It's also really hard to focus on things in front of me. Overall, I'm impressed with my distance vision if I really concentrate and can drive fine and see all the street signs / license plates but everything else is pretty garbage.

Is this normal? I know this is normal after the first few days but as of now, I am getting a little worried.

I had SMILE* done 6 weeks ago and this all sounds very familiar. It will take 4-6 weeks (at least) for your eyes to properly settle down, until then haziness/fuzziness/haloing are all to be expected/coped with. (It took me two weeks at 150% font size, and another four weeks before I was able to bump my font size down from 125% to 100%...)

* SMILE stands for 'small incision lenticular extraction' - what they do is the laser shapes out a lens-shaped pieces of your cornea, plus a ~3-4mm wide path to the outside at the cornea/sclera boundary. They then work a pair of forceps in through that path, gently separate the bit that the laser has cut out, then pull that out and it's done. Similar to LASIK just without the big flap.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Solvent posted:

Oh yeah. It's just amazing now that it's completely healed. Seriously amazing. If you're in your late twenties, early thirties, get some kind of laser correction done. Seemed the best age to do it at since there is some kinda change that happens in your eyes in your earlier 20's, Ef anybody knows how all that works, I'd love it if you could explain that to me.

There's no particular change in your eyes in that age. Actually, no change is what they're looking for - the recommendation is having a stable prescription (and be done with any pubertal/young-adult growth spurts) for two years before getting scoped out for laser surgery. So that generally means mid-20s is the earliest most doctors will look at laser eye correction.

The reason for that is simple - if, six months down the track, your eyes decide it's time for your myopia to get a couple of diopters worse , then you're kinda screwed. If you're lucky you'll be able to get a touch-up correction, if you're unlucky you'll need glasses again.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

I know this is months late, but since someone was asking about SMILE I'll do a rundown (I had SMILE 2.5 years ago):

TL;DR: it's good, go get it done. If the price is significantly higher than LASIK and you're suitable for both, it's not that much more awesome than LASIK, though.

ELI5 explanation: SMILE uses a laser to separate a thin layer in middle of your cornea, plus a small (~3mm or 1/8") path to the surface at the side of your cornea, near the sclera (white of your eye). Once the laser is complete, the surgeon uses a sterile spatula to gently separate that layer of corneal tissue, then extracts it through that path.

SMILE vs LASIK: less chance of complications, because rather than cutting around the entire cornea and lifting it, the only incision at the surface is that 3mm wide one at the border of your sclera & cornea. Also, no burning-hair smell (because the laser-cut cells aren't exposed). However it is deeply weird to be staring at a green light and having your vision blur bit-by-bit (for me it seemed like the laser was working almost in a dot-matrix pattern from right-to-left, bottom-to-top. The other weird bit is when the surgeon is extracting the lenticule (the corneal tissue layer to be removed) - the spatula is like a windscreen wiper inside your eyeball.

So yeah if that squicks you out (or you generally have issues when people are poking and prodding at your eyes) but you're still keen - talk to the surgeon and they should be able to prescrible Valium or some such to calm you down during the surgery. The actual surgery itself is like 5 minutes per eye - ~30 seconds of laser time, and a couple minutes for the surgeon to separate and extract the lenticule.

For me, recovery was a bit of a mission - but I have chronic dry eye so I knew my eyes were going to be more sensitive. I had both eyes done on the same day, got a taxi home (for the love of god don't plan to drive yourself - some people can see fine after surgery, others, like me, are effectively blind temporarily. I couldn't look at anything bright, and my ability to focus my eyes was utter crap. The next day I was able to use a computer for short bursts (although I had to have the text size up to 125%), three days afterward I was doing an hour at a time on the computer. I was going through eyedrops like I was eating them as well. One thing I didn't expect - my hands got quite a nasty rash because I was washing them so much. (The epithelium - top layer of your eye - takes 7-10 days to heal after surgery. That's the most critical time for avoiding infections at the surgery site, hence all the handwashing)

And yeah, echoing the others on getting preservative-free eyedrops, they're more expensive but they work a whole lot better.

Longer-term - it took about 4 weeks before I was seeing well enough (and had adjusted to the differences between my old contacts and my new laser eyes) before I was playing contact sport again, it took about 3 months for my eyes to settle completely and I was using drops on a daily basis for about 6 months (I have chronic dry eye anyway, so that's probably not so much the surgery's fault). Oh and yeah I routinely carry sunglasses on me and I'll wear them even if the day is moderately overcast. No halos, no starbursting*, and no near- or far-sightedness, so count me as a happy customer (when I'm reading on my kindle, the lowest font size is quite comfortable).

*NB: that's now. It might pay to avoid night driving (or be cautious with it) for a few weeks after surgery. I remember the first night drive I was a passenger on (~2 weeks after surgery) I couldn't read the number plate of the car in front of us because the numberplate lights (tiny though they were) were giving me massive halos.

• Locked thread