Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

how much of a difference does bladeless LASIK and custom wavefront make overall? And since it's so automated right now just how much difference does the doctor make?

I'm not talking about someone doing it out of an alleyway vs. a highly acclaimed doctor. However given how much automation is involved in LASIK right now I'd imagine that you hit diminishing returns pretty rapidly once you get to a certain level of surgeon competency.

Also - still up in the air between LASIK and PRK. I can deal with the longer healing process of PRK - so I'm tempted to just bite the bullet and do PRK instead of getting LASIK done. Only difficulty are the wide range of healing times quoted. A couple weeks? Sure. A month or two? Need to think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

Troublemaker posted:

The good news is that you'll only be dealing with reading glasses at that point if you've had LASIK, and not struggling with constantly switching glasses or wearing bifocals.

Isn't it the exact opposite? Over time people with myopia get better distance vision while their close-up vision gets worse. Getting corrected with LASIK will mean that you'll also have to contend with the need for reading glasses and potentially bifocals as well.

I'm still on the fence about getting eye surgery or not. The big thing holding me back is what happens when your vision starts changing with age and how LASIK impacts this.

Also, what is this about needing reading glasses being hereditary? I thought most people ended up needing reading glasses as their close-up vision worsens with age

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

what do people think of Epi-Lasik?

Right now I'm in a unique situation where I am taking more than a month between jobs. So I'll have plenty of time for recovery. In this case I'd rather get PRK over LASIK since I can work the recovery period better and there is no reason to incur risks associated with LASIK.

Epi-Lasik is preferable to PRK because although they are roughly the same procedure, supposedly Epi-LASIK has a quicker recovery period.

Also wondering how much experiences matters for Epi-Lasik. Since it's a less popular procedure I doubt that there are many doctors who have performed tens of thousands of these procedures. But my thought is that a doctor with significant LASIK experience could easily cross over into Epi-Lasik with no issues.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

I had my Lasik/PRK consultation today. The doc seemed fine and my eyes were good candidates for either.

However I'm getting second thoughts. I have mild myopia and with a -1.25 sphere lens I can see corrected to about 20/15. Without glasses I'm between 20/40 - 20/60. My hesitation is the fact that I'd rather not deal with reading glasses. I can view a computer/read a book with my glasses on, so I know that I won't need reading glasses right away as my eyes can still adjust to read up close. However myopia has its advantages - I have poor distance vision but great near vision.

I do more reading / close up work than I do activities that I'd really like to not have glasses for. In other words I don't care about wearing glasses for driving while I do care about glasses while doing sports / going out. But that said I probably spent 8-10 hours a day needing close up vision.

So getting refractive surgery done and having to wear reading glasses several years earlier will probably be more inconvenient for me than vice versa.

• Locked thread