Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Just got back a few hours ago from my surgery.

Awesome stuff. I was very nervous going into it, I hate touching my eyes, or thinking about stuff touching my eyes, or seeing anything touch anybody's eyes. So I really wanted the Valium. They were a little hesitant to give it to me, didn't think I'd need it, and it was going to delay everything a bit since they couldn't dispense it there and I'd have to send my friend to go pick it up.

In hindsight, I really didn't need it. If I need a touch up in the future, I won't use it. Also, I didn't notice that it did a whole lot. I was no longer nervous, but I wouldn't say I felt much different than my normal relaxed state.

The procedure was very quick. As advertised, no pain, only a little bit of pressure and none of that was a big deal. Suction ring, cut that flap. Suction ring on the other eye, cut that flap. Lasered one eye for 16 seconds, lasered the 2nd eye for 10 seconds. Then I was out. It was a little weird when I could barely see anything, but my vision never went totally dark from the suction ring. At some point I got nervous because he said to stare at the red blinking light when I was about to get the 2nd eye ablated and I didn't see it, then he shifted my head a little bit and I could. Those 2 seconds when I thought something was wrong were probably the most uncomfortable of the whole procedure. Really not a big deal.

So I went home and went to bed. They said to sleep for 2-3 hours to miss the worst of the pain. I woke up about 1.5 hours in, my eyes were not happy. Definitely hurt, fortunately I managed to get back to sleep, and when I woke up 4 hours after originally falling asleep, the pain was gone.

First thought upon waking up: So what if I can see that clock, I could always see that clock. Oh, I could always see that clock WHEN I WAS WEARING GLASSES. I still have this weird desire to put on my glasses when I get up to walk around, even though I see fine. I'm getting a little bit of haloing/fuzziness around some windows on the screen, and a little bit when looking at stuff not on the screen as well. But they said to expect that, so I'm not worried about it and assume it will go away as my eyes stabilize. Still not night yet so we'll see what happens when it actually gets dark in a few hours.

I had a fairly minor prescription, I think it was -2.5 and -1.75. 6.2mm pupils maybe, and a little over 600 microns of cornea to work with. I think that means I have a very low chance of side effects, but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm thinking about getting laser eye surgery of some sort before I graduate college (mostly so I can use my parents' insurance for it, since they've got military insurance which I hear covers eye surgery pretty well). I have pretty bad eyes, -5.75 and -6.00 with an astigmatism in at least one of my eyes.

I really want to get PRK done since I don't want to get my eyes sliced open. I'm fine with most medical procedures as long as I can look away, but since this is happening to my eyeballs I don't really have a choice. With PRK all they do is force your eyelids open then laser your eyes, right? Or do they do the whole suctioning thing as well? I'm thinking maybe next winter break I'll see if I can get it done since I'll be home with nothing better to do than lay around with my eyes closed.

There's plenty of reasons to go with PRK over LASIK, but I don't think being scared of the flap cutting procedure (having the flap itself is different) is a good one. If I didn't know that I was under the intralase machine, I wouldn't have known they were cutting the flap. All I knew is I was staring at some pretty lights. The suction ring wasn't a big deal either. And I've got some blood spots on my eyes, and I would say there was nothing more than minor discomfort during the procedure. Minor.

Yes, they're doing all this stuff to your eyes, but you can't really see what they're doing. Your vision goes to crap, you see some blurry shapes, some lights, there's a bad smell, then its over. I am terrible about stuff being near my eyes and lasik was easy. Easy.

Was out a little last night, and I'm getting haloing around lights. Car headlights are annoying, but I could definitely drive. Other lights have haloing but not really enough to bother me. If it never got any better and I had to deal with this the rest of my life, I would probably still say it was completely worth it. But since everyone says the haloing is the worst the first few days/weeks, I think it will end up being much less.

I really want to rub my eyes right now. And I don't sleep so great with the shields over my eyes, possibly because I'm paranoid about it coming loose and me rubbing my eyes. I don't know if its the steroid drops or the antibiotic drops, but one of these leaves a nasty taste in the back of my throat a few minutes after I take it. These are the kind of things I have to complain about it with lasik.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

DreadCthulhu posted:

Do you go insane from having your eyes open for 20 minutes without being able to blink? I know they numb them up, but is it still incredibly irritating?
Its not even close to that long. Incredibly easy.

Anytime you aren't supposed to blink there will be something keeping you from blinking. And your eyes are numb so you don't notice the dryness that normally makes you want to blink.

Kase Im Licht fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 3, 2010

• Locked thread