Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

In a nutshell, by a patient and not a doctor:
  • LASIK - a flap is cut in the top layer of the eye, exposing the stroma layer of the cornea. Then a separate laser tool is used to ablate away portions of the cornea to reshape the eye. The flap is then put back in place at the end. LASIK is the cheapest option, with faster recovery times and low discomfort, which makes it basically the default option.
  • PRK - instead of cutting a flap to expose the stroma, the outer layer of the eye is removed (I'm not sure how this is actually done), then the same laser ablation process is used to reshape the eye. The lack of flap cutting allows for surgery to be performed on people with thinner corneas/worse prescriptions, and is more attractive to people who for occupational reasons might expect to take routine impacts to the face (boxers, football players etc) which could dislodge the flap used in LASIK. Longer recovery times, more discomfort, more expensive, but the outcomes are pretty similar.
  • ICL - This is what it was called where I got it (Gimbel Eye Center, Calgary AB) - Implanted Corrective Lenses - seems to be called a few different things. For patients with really bad prescriptions or really thin corneas (me on both counts), there's not enough corneal thickness to do the eye reshaping. So instead an incision is made in the eye, and a physical corrective lens is implanted in the eye, basically just a permanent contact lens. Same as cataract surgery, but your natural lens stay in. It was expensive ($4400CAD/eye, the lenses are custom made for your eyes, ask me about the eye ultrasound I got), but really easy; surgery was 20 minutes per eye, my vision came back just as soon as the assorted eye drops they'd given me wore off. I was given permission to drive the following morning, and there was essentially no discomfort. I had laser iridotomies done about two weeks prior to the lens implantation - they use a laser to make holes to allow fluids to get where they need to once you have an extra lens in your eye - but it sounds like that may not be necessary now, lenses that allowed fluid flow were on the horizon.

Also, as long as we're talking about the local establishments, gently caress LASIK MD in Calgary. They told me I was a candidate for PRK, I waited around a couple months till surgery date, and then only after I came in that morning did they tell me my corneas were too thin and the surgeon thought it was too risky. Later I went to Gimbel Eye Center to get ICLs, and Dr. Gimbel told me I was never even close to being an acceptable candidate for PRK. So I don't blame LASIK MD for making the call, but that really suggests to me that the initial assessment they do is basically all a marketing exercise and that the surgeon doesn't actually look till day of, which I consider extremely unprofessional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

Tried to take [my glasses] off before hopping in the shower.

Took me like a month to kick that habit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's kinda shocking just how effective those anaesthetic drops are. Because my lenses had to be installed at a certain angle to counter the astigmatism right, my surgeon pulled out a (one-use sanitary) marker and drew a line along the required angle on my eye. Didn't feel a thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I was running -8.5 and -8.75 diopters if memory serves; in the 8-9 ballpark for sure. I do get night halos, but I think that has more to do with light leaking through my iridotomies (IANOD, do not quote me on that), which may not be required if you wanted to get ICLs done today. The halos were kinda rough for the first week or so, especially when night driving (I basically don't notice them otherwise), but I've adjusted and it's fine now. Despite the fact that I compare them to permanent contact lenses because they're both plastic inserts, they don't feel similar to contacts at all. I can't feel them at all for one thing, and I've never experienced issues with dryness past the first 3 weeks. Certainly my vision is better than my contacts ever were, but I don't know how much of that comes from the benefit of having custom made ICLs rather than disposable daily contacts. I have zero regrets about it.

The biggest complaint I have about my eyes is how generally photo-sensitive I am; if it's sunny and snowy, the brightness is tough to deal with and I get very squinty and my eyes tire right out, but the solution is just "put sunglasses on", which is probably what any eye doctor would tell anyone to do anyway. I'm also unwilling to attribute that entirely to my ICLs, I had transitions glasses for 10 years before I got the surgery done, so maybe my eyes just got used to having perma-sunglasses.

Semi-related: watch this terrifying video of the actual surgery (my surgeon but not my eyes) just for funsies! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQVYQl9XQmc

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 12, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Still have halos, I ignore 'em, they don't really effect the quality of my vision. The halos actually go away if I squint, but I never really feel the need to do so beyond personal curiousity as to why that is.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Where's home for you?

Also is there a reason you're looking for a cutting edge technique? The existing ones are good.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I think you'd have a hard time finding a place that wasn't going to do well medically. I got jerked around hard by the first place I went to, but it was more administrative rather than anything medical. In short, they told me I was a good candidate, scheduled me, I came in day-of, then they told me they weren't going to do it because I in fact did not qualify. Like you couldn't have run this by your surgeons weeks ago and just called me up?

Nowhere near San Fran of course, so I can't comment on anywhere near you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I had stopped using drops pretty much altogether, but my opto told me last month that my eyes were pretty dry and I should go back to morning/night drops. I can barely feel the difference, I just take his word for it.

10 times a day seems like a hell of a lot, maybe talk to your optometrist?

Disclaimer: I have ICLs, not LASIK.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Just got evaluated for lasik today and i think i'm gonna do it. i... like how i look in glasses, though?

I felt the same way. For the first week or so after surgery, basically every trip near a mirror turned into a prolonged stare-at-myself session. However, everyone I've asked who knew me before the surgery, or even just saw pictures of me from before, tells me I'm far better looking now. So consider seeking second opinions. :v:

Kitten Nightmares posted:

I ended up going to UCLA's vision center for a free consultation/eye exam. I'm not a good candidate for LASIK or PRK, but they recommended that I consider an implantable contact lens (Visian ICL). My research before the appointment said the procedure tends to run between $2k-$4k per eye but with their facility/service/medical fees, it's $7.5k for the first eye and $6k for the second and requires a few pre- and a lot of post-op visits, and I loving detest driving to LA.

I'm going to see what the private vision center says on May 4th , when I do a consult with them (I had to reschedule my prior appointment). I'll definitely make sure the aftercare is included in the cost. So...may the fourth be with me, I guess.

I got ICLs - toric to deal with my astigmatism - they're awesome. Pricey at $4400/eye (CAD), and there was a two month lead time because they needed to be custom made, but absolutely worth it. Surgery was about 20 min/eye, vision was recovered by the next morning, 20/20 in one eye, 20/15 in the either. Most annoying part by far was that one of the sets of eye drops I took for 3 weeks post-op would run down into my throat and taste just terrible, which is to say it was a cake walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

shots shots shotsdrops drops drops drops drops drops

• Locked thread