Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3133007&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=52

Been over a year since anyone has posted there. Alternatively, I'm an optometrist in the U.S. Shoot me a PM if you want.

I have very mild dry eyes. How big of an issue is that with lasik? I'd like to hear from an optometrist as well. My prescription also isn't that bad but I do need glasses. So I'm hoping that would be less ill effects.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Dry eye syndrome is probably the most common complication following LASIK, although now that most reputable surgery centers are using femtosecond technology, the incidence of dry eyes has diminished. That being said, your eyes won't be any LESS dry after surgery. In general the lower your prescription, the fewer potential complications there could be.

I'm stupid and actually I don't think my dry eyes are much of a problem anyway. I was wondering why I was having issues recently than remembered..allergies.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I'l be getting this now in the nearish future. Excited and nervous. Going to be getting an opinion from my optometrist as whether it's a good idea and whether he has a good idea about anyone in particular. Suuper excited.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Made a schedule for lasik next week. They really want to seem to get you to sign up quick for it. When I called for a consultation they had me in on Tuesday after calling on Friday. And now that I had the consultation they have me coming in on Monday. Guess they want to lesson the time to get cold feet. Also they give Xanax during surgery. Which I will gladly take.

Also my prescriptions were kind of funny. Right Eye was about -1.5 nearsighted -2.5 astygmatyzm. And the opposite for the left eye of about -2.5 nearsighted and -1.5 astygmatyzm.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Had lasik yesterday. The first day was hard but I'm feeling pretty good today.

Edit: Also I never got the promised Zanex during the surgery.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 28, 2016

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

drat, it's been a whole week? I went for LASIK a month ago, and due to a small scar on my right eye they had to abort. Left eye was already done so I'm now going 2 weeks without a contact in my right eye (which is really weird), and it's up in the air whether they'll retry the LASIK or just opt for PRK.

I know the recovery period for PRK was painful vs. LASIK, didn't realize it affected your vision for so long - have you been unable to drive this whole time? How bad has it been vs. your previous uncorrected vision?

A friend of mine that got PRK is still taking steroids months later. While I had lasik on Monday and am off steroids/antiobiotics tomorrow(friday). But PRK has it's own benefits as well.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

2 weeks post lasik and I'm reading 20 20 easily. 20 15 with strain

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Also the smell of lasers searing my eyeball was hella gross and smelled like burning plastic.

Once the numbing drops wore off yeah, eyes were in HELLAH pain

The first four hours are the worst. And than it's magically nbd. Also that smell was so strange.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

The worst...how? You had pain after LASIK?

The worst as in the worst part of having lasik. I should have clarified that. My eyes were hurting the first four hours and I couldn't stand to keep them open. After the four hours they were irritated and I still preferred a dark room but it was acceptable. The next day I was fine. A lot of people get drugs during surgery/after that knock them out for that period. I'm at about a month and a week now. And very rarely do I use drops. And it's both more when I'm bored and thinking about my eyes, or when rather focused on a computer screen. Like I feel no need to use drops despite having used none today despite getting up ~10 hours ago.

Grandmother of Five posted:

the smell is so distinctly that of burning hair imo that i'm surprised everyone doesn't describe it as that.

It is like that but it's also something else. It's such a strange smell.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

My vision has stabilized on 20 15. :confuoot:

Very happy I got the procedure. One of the really annoying things about glasses is needing to wear them when on the computer but staying back from the screen.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Listening to what is done during the procedure is so cringy.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I got a box of oasis tears. Bought another. They were rediculously expensive at ~$30 for 30 droppers. Ended up picking these up later which were fine. http://www.bjs.com/refresh-plus-eye-drops--1---ct-----1-fl--oz-.product.21822 Stopped needing drops before these ran out.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I'm surprised you could post same day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I was given 4x of a steroid and 4x of an antibiotic a day. And eye drops whenever I felt the need so every 20 minutes the first few days to an hour to never after a month

• Locked thread