Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraternite
Dec 24, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I just went in for a consultation and was told that I have a thin cornea and large pupils -- but not thin enough (500 microns as opposed to 550 micorns) or large enough (9.2 mm as opposed to 6.5 mm) that normal LASIK was out of the question.

I'm going to hit up another place in the area for a second opinion, but for whatever reason I just got the impression that I really should go for the custom wavefront despite their protestations that normal LASIK wouldn't be a particularly bad option. Does anyone here have enough information and background to give a somewhat informed opinion on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraternite
Dec 24, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Elijah posted:

I know that my doctor mentioned that PRK didn't require the cornea to be as thick as LASIK does, even though mine were thick enough for both procedures. I found this page which explains it a little:
http://www.seewell.ca/prk.html

I don't know about the pupil size issue.

The pupil size is relevant because the flap they cut in normal LASIK is not nearly as big (eye surface area-wise) as the custom wavefront ones. Basically if your pupil gets bigger than the flap, you get halos -- think of it like wearing a small pair of glasses at the end of your nose and then looking around them at the same time you look through them.

Fraternite
Dec 24, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fasheem posted:

Also Custom Wavefront will not save you from night vision problems. I had that, and I still have halos. I knew I would, because my pupils are huge, and accepted it before I had it done (and it's not that bad) but if you're really worried about that you might want to take a pass on this one.

How big are your pupils?

Fraternite
Dec 24, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm one week out of PRK and my vision up close is blurry as gently caress and apparently will remain this way for months. For example, I have trouble reading the computer screen.

I'm not unhappy with my choice (it's too early to judge), but don't let anyone bullshit you about the fact your vision will blow chunks for a very extended period of time.

archwhore posted:

I have a question though. Knowing how I do in other eye exams, I have a hard time focusing my eye on one spot and not moving it. I guess I get nervous and try too hard, I don't know. I know they give you numbing drops and a Valium if you want it, but is there any way they could give me something to relax my eye so I'll be less likely to move it around when I get scared? I've never had Valium, but does the Valium pretty much do just that?

I was given Atavan and my right eye (oculus dexter, lol) still was essentially in a terrified spasm during the surgery. I am told that this isn't abnormal. And I wouldn't worry about voluntarily moving your eye -- you'll be gripping the seat in abject terror from the moment they clamp your eyes open and start dripping in an assortment of drops.

Fraternite
Dec 24, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xelfer posted:

This is one of the reasons I don't really get why so many people are jumping on PRK.

3 hours after my LASIK i've been able to see better than I have for 15 years, and it has only got better. I was 20/20 within 16 hours and have stayed that way. Is it the cost?

Well, 3 of the 4 places I visited wanted to do LASIK, and 1 of them said they thought my cornea was too thin and my pupils too big for it and that they wouldn`t feel comfortable doing it and would only do PRK. They also happen to be the place of highest repute, and it was an extremely effective tactic to get me to trust them, especially given that PRK is cheaper.

My boss also made me burn a week of vacation such that I can`t carry it into next year, and I wasn`t going to do anything with it anyways. Further, I had insurance benefits at work that wouldn`t carry over into the new year as well -- and PRK was $1000 cheaper and was eligible for $400 more of coverage.

So huzzah for PRK, I guess.

Also, my eyes are slightly better now and I have probably about 5 minutes of computer time that everything is clear before it deteriorates into fuzz until I close my eyes for about 10 minutes or so. Then I get 5 minutes again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraternite
Dec 24, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mpyro posted:

For those that had PRK done, how long was your healing time?

I was totally out of commission and unable to handle pretty much any light for 6 days; I wasn't able to resume normalish sort of life until probably day 9 or 10.

Even then, my eyes still hurt and were very dry -- I only got off lubrication last month (if I didn't do it, my corneas would stick when I slept maybe once a week or so [more so several months ago]) and the appropriately titled FML two months ago. I had the surgery in November, fwiw.

• Locked thread