Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Aluminum Record posted:

Would also be interested to hear if people responding to this had astigmatism, and if they'd like to divulge what it cost them and any guarantees they got with it.

Astigmatism here. I had LASIK done 6 months ago and paid $3300 (US). They made no guarantees but offered free enhancement within the first year. I haven't needed any.

The procedure itself isn't painful, it just feels "weird." It was pretty awesome though when I stood up from the table, they walked me over to an exam room, and I was able to read the 20/40 line off the eye chart right then and there.

Once I was home and the numbing drops wore off I felt a little bit of burning feeling, like if I had been sauteing some onions and got the smoke in my eyes. I took a tylenol and a 3 hour nap and I felt just fine afterward.

As far as dryness and night vision goes: I had to hit the drops for dryness 3-4x a day at first, but I rarely use them now. I was seeing some minor halos around lights at night, but it's gone down significantly now. The night of the surgery day I saw HUGE halos and freaked out thinking that would be permanent, but that resolved within a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Collar Crazy posted:

How long did you guys have to wear "protective eyeshields" for after the surgery?

That's the part I'm really dreading. If I have to sleep with poo poo on my face for a week, well, I won't sleep for a week.

I had to keep mine on for a week. These were what they gave me to wear.

I would keep taking them off in the middle of the night, and my wife would end up nudging me to wake me up and making me put them back on. I slept like crap every night that week.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Trent-Easton posted:

Well, this is kinda reassuring. I use the drops like 2-3 times a day, and the other bottle before sleep once (like they told me).

Does that mean that I'll have to buy bottles of drops for the rest of my life, or does it eventually get better?

I work on computers all day, so it's been very lovely the last week (seeing double letters, having trouble reading, being pissed and unsure about my vision, etc.) Well I hope this forces me to spend more time outside then...

In the first 3 months or so I had to use the drops 2-4x/day. By 6 months out it was once a day in the mornings when I woke up. It's been a year and a half and I now rarely need them.

Staying hydrated also helps -- drink a glass of water before bed, and your eyes will feel better in the morning.

Also, ask your doc about Restasis to help the dryness. I had an enhancement done a year after the original surgery and using Restasis for a couple months afterward was pretty helpful compared to the first time through.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm finally getting serious about getting this done, but I'm paying out of my own pocket since I don't have insurance.

What I want to know are the surprise hidden costs related to the treatment? Some of you mentioned $100 eye droplets, but outside of the actual treatment and eye exams what else is there?

My doc gave me a prescription for antibiotic & steroid eye drops to use afterward. That script cost me about $25 to get filled, all generic stuff.

I also really had to hit the artificial tears hard. For the first two or three months I probably went through a $12-$14 pack of Systane every week, then a box a month after that for another six months.

I went for an enhancement a year later, that time around the doctor gave me sample packs of the drops for free, and then gave me a script for Restasis to use for a month before the procedure and keep using afterward. That stuff is stupid expensive; I have really good insurance and it still cost something like $60 for a 30 day supply.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

NaDy posted:

So has anyone here had the non intralase surgery, the one where they use a mechanical device rather than a laser to cut open the flap? If so, how did it go? I'm very tempted about LASIK and wavefront, but not sure about intralase.

I had mine done in January 2009. My surgeon used the microkeratome. I asked ahead of time about this and they said there really wasn't an appreciable difference in outcome, and that much of the popularity of Intralase was the "blade-free" marketing point.

My operation went just fine, making the flap took 20-30 seconds max. It felt really strange; it sounded like an electric shaver and I could feel the vibration. Honestly making the flap was the weirdest part of the whole affair and I think that wouldn't have changed much if I went for Intralase instead. They still have to put a suction ring on your eye and so your vision will still go dark for however long it takes them to do the work, which is what weirded me out.

Recovery time was really quick for me. I had some minor burning, like I cut onions, for the first 4-5 hours after the procedure, along with some minor sensitivity to light. By the next morning I felt just fine and was able to drive to my follow-up appointment.

Outcome-wise, I had a little residual astigmatism on one eye and went back for an enhancement a year later. It's been two and a half years and I still see great. At my last checkup I was told I have maybe a ~.25 diopter regression in the eye that didn't get the enhancement, but it's not enough for me to see any difference day-to-day.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I think every YouTube video of LASIK procedures should automatically be given the Pixies' "Debaser" as a soundtrack.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Panthrax posted:

So, quick question. I had my procedure done about 3 weeks ago, and the place I went doesn't have the free touch ups for life deal. They do free for a year, then for $500 they'll give you 5 free annual eye exams, with the lifetime touch ups. Is this something I should consider getting? I've got a week to decide if I want it or not. I guess the eye exams will cover a decent portion of it, plus they give you 50% off (overpriced) sunglasses or some such. But how common are touch ups outside of a year? If I don't have the extra thing, they'll do touch ups at $500/eye. Worth it to wait and see or get the lifetime?

One data point:

I am 3 years out from my procedure. I went back in at about 11 months for one eye because I had some residual astigmatism that did not get taken care of. I noticed this about six months from the procedure, and we kept tabs on it for a few months to see if it was just a delayed healing effect. When it didn't resolve we decided to get me back into the surgeon's office for a re-treat. My surgeon would do re-treatment within the first year for free, so I didn't pay anything for that.

My other eye is about a quarter diopter off from where things were before, and it's been that way for the last two annual eye exams. It hasn't been enough for my doctor to suggest getting me in for an enhancement, and it doesn't seem to bother me, either.

It seems like "lifetime" coverage is kind of subject to interpretation, at any rate. Who knows whether that surgeon's practice will still be around 5 or 10 years from now, or whether someone else will assume the liabilities for ensuring "lifetime coverage."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Myrddin Emrys posted:

My computer monitor has a slight fuzz around the edge, and the LED on my speaker has a very strong 1/4 inch ball of orange light around it in a perfect circle. Lights outside were like that too. No glare/flares though, just the halos.

I'm told these fade over time?

So far no dry eyes, either, haven't felt the need to use drops (though I'm using them anyway - doctor's orders) - but I had kinda wet eyes prior to the surgery, so...
They fade over time but for me they haven't gone away 100%. I am three years out and still get halos from bright lights like car headlights and streetlights. It is nowhere near what it was right after the procedure, but it's not exactly the way it was before, either.

Definitely the first few months I was seeing halos from lights that were nowhere near as bright as headlights, such as the blue LED on the front of my TV when it's on. Hell, my cell phone screen had a halo the first couple days. That annoying stuff went away inside of 2-3 months.

In regards to dry eye though I had some dry eye issues and they actually didn't manifest themselves until maybe a couple weeks later. For me staying hydrated really was just as important as the drops -- those nights where I'd drink four cocktails and not have any water before bed would mean that the next morning my eyes were not going to be happy.

• Locked thread