Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

[*]Do they see as well as they did with glasses?

Yes, though after the surgery I can get some halos/glare from lights at night. I assume it will get better with time.

[*]Does it hurt (before/during/after)?

It can be a tad uncomfortable during in that you have bright lights in your eye but you can't close them. Right afterwards you can't really open your eyes much without tearing up a lot but it's not too bad. The main problem is dryness, which can be dealt with as long as you have preservative-free eye drops with you at all times. You will notice the dryness the most in the first couple months, then it will get better.

[*]I've been told it messes with your night driving, is that the case?

See above. It hasn't caused me any driving issues though.

[*]Does it make working with a computer more difficult? (Using contacts slows down your blink rate which can cause dryness when working at a computer, did this happen to anyone?)

it hasn't for me.

[*] Having done it, would you still choose to do it over again?

yes, though I had a second procedure since I wasn't corrected enough the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I had Intralase. I had to have a correction done as well. I just remember my eyes being really dry for a while. Also my pupils tend to be larger than normal for some reason, so I get some starbursts from lights at night. Apparently this is the result of the pupil being far enough out from the center of the eye to touch the flap. It's not enough to cause me any real problems, just a bit annoying. Your pupils get smaller as you age so it should go away eventually.

My initial vision was around -8.5 in both. Cost was a bit over $5k.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Totally Negro posted:

What are you now?

Basically perfect, or maybe even better (like 20/15, however that works).

An observer posted:

I had my first eye exam in 2 years today, and my eye strength has decreased by only .25 diopter, which my doc said makes me a great candidate for laser eye surgery. However, I have an autoimmune disease (rheumatoid arthritis). It's well managed and in one joint only. I get conflicting answers online—some people say you absolutely can't get it with RA, others have research showing you can, still others say it only matters if it's extra-articular, etc. Does anyone here have any advice?

What does the ophthalmologist say? That's the only person you should listen to.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I had the surgery about 10 years ago but last year I developed a small astigmatism in my right eye so I'm wearing glasses again. However my initial vision was like - 8.25 so that made regression a higher likelihood. That doesn't mean I regret getting it done either.

Otherwise main issue was minor starbursts after the procedure. I also have very large pupils which made these things more noticeable.

• Locked thread