Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!
Have long-term eye-health studies been published on those who've had these surgeries? I'm worried about getting it and then having complications maybe 30 or so years later. I'd imagine the surgery has been out now for 20+ years so I'd imagine these exist..

Did any of you ask your surgeons/doctors this question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!

Libandano Urfam posted:

True true, I expect the normal aging process, but I had heard that you were guaranteed to need reading glasses later on if you got lasik. Something about trading being able to see far now for not seeing near in the future.

Or it could be what I get from hearing secondhand.

presbyopia is a natural part of aging, and pretty much everybody suffers from it to some degree after the age of 40 or so, regardless of previous LASIK surgery

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!

actionjackson posted:

My initial vision was around -8.5 in both. Cost was a bit over $5k.

What are you now?

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!

7u880y posted:

Thor Brevik.

I would go to this doctor purely because of his name

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!

reni89 posted:

Will it ever become more affordable?

I can't imagine a world where it won't. The lasers are so stupidly easy to use, technology continues to improve by leaps and bounds, and I'm pretty sure at some point optometrists will be offering the service as well. As for a time frame, I couldn't tell you.

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!

Galsia posted:

I'm prone to panic attacks at the best of times though so I'm not sure how I'm going to get through this. I can barely stand getting a haircut. :(

luckily for you they'll most likely give you some valium/xanax/benzo to keep you calm, which is also the best (pharmacological) way to kill/prevent panic attacks

just tell them you're prone to panic attacks and they'll dope you up all good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!
I've met many ophthalmologists who tell me they would never ever get LASIK despite running that machine day in and day out. Their reasons mostly center on the fact that they don't know the long (15+ years) outcomes of patients who have had the procedure. I think there is some component of them seeing the 1/1000 chance of loving up and ruining a pair of eyes as well. What do you all think?

• Locked thread